Ben Franklin Finds Cure for WhoA

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DazedinLA
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DazedinLA »

I've been saving my 300th post for something special, so I thought I'd share this intesting exerpt of a letter by Ben Franklin which establishes several interesting historical facts, and perhaps raises a truly worthy Whistle Mystery. The facts:

1. One of our most important Founding Fathers was a whistler

2. Ben briefly suffered from WHOA

3. Ben found a cure for WhoA

4. Copeland and Abell and others might have done just fine back in the 1770s.

5. Domestic distrbances due to whistling have occured in America for hundreds of years.

Here's the text:

"In my opinion, we might all draw more good than we do, and suffer less evil, if we would take care not to give too much for our whistles...

When I was a child of seven years old, my friends, on a holiday, filled my pocket with coppers. I went directly to a shop where they sold toys for children: and, being charmed with the sound of a whistle, that I met by the way in the hands of another boy, I voluntarily offered and gave all my money for one. I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing the family.

My brothers and sisters and cousins, understanding the bargain I had made, told me i had given four times as much for it as it was worth; put me in mind what good things I might have bought with the rest of the money; and laughed at me so much for my folly, that I cried with vexation; and the reflection gave me more chagrin than the whistle gave me pleasure.

This however was afterwards of use to me, the impression continuing on my mind; so that often, when I was tempted to buy some unnecessary thing, I said to myself, DONT GIVE TOO MUCH FOR THE WHISTLE; and I saved my money.

As I grew up, came into the world, and observed the actions of men, I thought I met with many, very many, who gave too much for the whistle.

When I saw one too ambitious of court favour, sacrificing his time in attendance on levees, his repose, his liberty, his virtue, and perhaps his friends, to attain it, I have said to myself, This man gives too much for his whistle.

...If I knew a miser, who gave up every kind of comfortable living, all the pleasure of doing good to others, all the esteemof his fellow-citizens, and the joys of benevolent friendship, Poor man, said I, you pay too much for your whistle.

When I met with a man of pleasure, sacrificing every laudable improvement of the mind, or of his fortune, to mere corporal sensations, and ruining his health in their pursuit, Mistaken man, said I, you are provding pain for yourself, instead of pleasure; you give to much for your whistle.."

Leave it to Ben Franklin to find morally and socially redeeming value in the WHOA experience.

Kevin/Dazed
The New No. 39
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/whistleannex/index.html">The Whistle Annex</a>, Home of the Chiffboard Matrix
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

. . .and my spouse gazed upon the plethora of whistles, tin, brass, aluminum and plastic. Then turned her gaze toward my one set of hands and single oral orifice. Sighed she then, with whistle-multitude vision fresh still, and with look of dismay exclaimed,

"Poor man, you have paid too much for your whistles . . .

SO KNOCK IT OFF!!!"

Vinny

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vinny on 2002-07-17 09:13 ]</font>
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

More Ben Franklin quotes that apply to WHOA and related matters (slightly edited for clarity!) :smile:

"If a man could have half [the whistles of] his wishes, he would double his troubles."

"One [Clarke] today is worth two [expensive whistle of choice] tomorrow(s)."

"He that is of the opinion that money [or expensive whistles] will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money [or advanced WHOA]."

and last but not least, and without any "editing":

"Nothing brings more pain than too much pleasure; nothing brings more bondage than too much liberty."

Peace.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

I thought you were going to suggest getting hit by lightening and I thought, yeah, I guess that would do it . . . :smile:

Tery

P.S. I love the story. Thanks for posting it.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I take my lead from the oh so wise Wimpy (of Popeye fame) who was famous for sharing the following wisdom on dealing with WhOA:

"I'll gladly pay you Thurday for a whistle today."

Loren
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

To paraphrase Firesign Theater:

"How can you play two whistles at once when you're really no whistler at all."
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Gary

Post by Gary »

"Why do they use an axe when a hatchet would work as well?" - Confucius

"Why do they use an (Insert name of expensive whistle here) when a Feadog would work as well?" -Gary
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

THat's cool. I never knew Ben Franklin, of all people!, had a whistle obsession... :grin:
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

All this makes me wonder what the whistle looked like, the one Ben saw as a kid. Evidently they were fairly common and affordable, if a kid could afford one (even if his dad gave him a hard time about paying too much). I'm guessing they were made of wood? This was before the Industrial revolution, so it had to be hand made. I've always thought that when Clarke began mass producing them, they were copying something that was already available, but making them very cheaply with all the newfangled machinery. Since they were probably copying a well known design, 6 hole end blown whistles must have been common as far back as Ben's childhood and for some time before that.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-07-17 15:20, Gary wrote:
"Why do they use an (Insert name of expensive whistle here) when a Feadog would work as well?" -Gary
I agree totally, Gary. Is yours tweaked, or stock?
Gary

Post by Gary »

On 2002-07-17 15:45, blackhawk wrote:
I agree totally, Gary. Is yours tweaked, or stock?
I have a stock Feadog for lively jigs and one with the O'Brian mod for recording. If they passed a law against owning more that one whistle (Gasp!) I would choose the O'Brian Feadog.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Don't get out to sessions much do ya Gary? Try it with a Feadog sometime... :lol:

Loren
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Personally, I prefer my Doolin...
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

If Ben Franklin was so smart, then why did his Five and Dime store chain go out of business? If you ask me, it's because he didn't stock enough whistles in them!
Reasonable person
Walden