Scottish man may hold cure for AIDS

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Scottish man may hold cure for AIDS

Post by Jack »

I found this story fascinating and hopeful for all my friends living with HIV/AIDS.

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=2237102005
Does this Scot hold the key to curing AIDS and HIV?
RHIANNON EDWARD

Key points
• Andrew Stimpson was diagnosed as HIV-positive in August 2002
• 14 months later tests indicated that the virus had gone
• At present Mr Stimpson has declined to undertake further tests

Key quote
"This appears to be a highly unusual case and without further tests it really is impossible to draw any conclusions for people living with HIV." - Deborah Jack, chief executive of the National AIDS Trust

Story in full

A SCOTTISH man is believed to have become the first person in the world to beat HIV.

Andrew Stimpson, 25, was diagnosed as HIV-positive in August 2002. However, tests 14 months later showed the virus had completely gone from his body, despite taking no medication to combat it.

His doctors are adamant there were no mix-ups with his tests and have urged him to come forward for medical research to help the quest to find a cure for HIV, which causes AIDS.

Mr Stimpson, from Largs, Ayrshire, said: "I can't help wondering if I hold the cure for AIDS. It is scary and confusing, but it makes me feel very special."

He added: "I have no idea how I got rid of the virus. I was just taking daily supplements to keep myself as healthy as possible so as not to get full-blown AIDS."

Mr Stimpson, who lives in London with his 44-year-old HIV-positive partner, Juan Gomez, was told he had the virus in August 2002.

More than a year later, and baffled by his continuing good health, doctors at Chelsea and Westminster Healthcare NHS Trust tested him again.

The results came back negative and Mr Stimpson began legal action against the trust, convinced there had been a mistake with the original diagnosis. But an extensive investigation, including DNA testing on his blood samples, has confirmed all the results.

NHS lawyers wrote to Mr Stimpson on 10 October this year, urging him to contact doctors about his "exceptional and medically remarkable" recovery.

"I can confirm that he has a positive and a negative test," a hospital spokeswoman said yesterday.

"When we became aware of his HIV-negative result we offered him further tests to help us investigate and find an explanation. So far he has declined. We urge him, for the sake of himself and the HIV community, to come in and get tested."

However, those working with AIDS patients urged caution. Deborah Jack, chief executive of the National AIDS Trust, said: "This appears to be a highly unusual case and without further tests it really is impossible to draw any conclusions for people living with HIV."

Roy Kilpatrick, chief executive of voluntary organisation HIV Scotland, said the story had raised a lot of questions and would require further investigation.

"There is no scientific precedent for it," he said. "This case requires a huge amount of study and for Mr Stimpson to be in regular contact with medical experts and scientists."

There are an estimated 3,000 HIV-positive people in Scotland - and at least as many again who do not know they have the virus.

A spokeswoman for the Terence Higgins Trust said that although there had been unconfirmed reports of HIV-positive "recoveries" in Africa, it was completely unheard of in the UK. The African cases are believed to be the result of inaccurate tests.

"HIV tests, like many diagnostic tests, aren't 100 per cent accurate," she said. "They are extremely rare, but you do sometimes get false positive or negative results."

A deadly legacy

AIDS, or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, was responsible for 3.5 million deaths worldwide last year.

It comes about as a result of the immune system being depleted because of infection with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). HIV is transmitted when there is direct contact between a mucus membrane and a bodily fluid, such as blood, semen, vaginal fluid or breast milk.

There is no known cure for AIDS, although some complications can be prevented or delayed.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

I hope this is the breakthrough needed to cure and prevent this dread disease.
Reasonable person
Walden
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Jack

Post by Jack »

Ooops. Well, uh, I...it's just so important that I think we all need to hear it two times! Yeah, that's it. ;)

:P
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

• At present Mr Stimpson has declined to undertake further tests

I can't decide if he is being stragely selfish, or is scared the second test is wrong.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Jack

Post by Jack »

Martin Milner wrote:• At present Mr Stimpson has declined to undertake further tests

I can't decide if he is being stragely selfish, or is scared the second test is wrong.
It seems he's just being stragely selfish to me.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Martin Milner wrote:• At present Mr Stimpson has declined to undertake further tests

I'd be scared the second test is wrong.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Flyingcursor wrote:

same here.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Unfortunately, even if he is actually immune as his body can kill the virus, that doesn't mean science will be able to figure out why he can, or be able to replicate the effect.

There may simply be some people who are naturally immune to the disease, or who are capable of defeating it once aquired.

Centuries ago, our ancestors lived through the horror of the Black Death, something so terrible that modern minds have difficulty visualizing the true depth of terror it entailed. Had not a few of them been naturally immune to plague, and a few others capable of recovering once infected, we would not be having this conversation now.

--James
emmline

Post by emmline »

Cranberry, you're quoting my favorite bumpersticker under your avatar.
(Um...the one about the handbasket--you never know what Cran's avatar might morph into next, so I thought I'd better be specific.)
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I've heard stories about infants born with the virus clearing themselves of it years and years later as they got older (the ones who actually lived long enough) but that's definitely cool that an adult could seemingly get rid of it in the space of a few months. He must have a real bulldog of an immune system.

Good luck finding out if the results are replicable. I suspect they're not, but it would be awesome if it was something they could bottle and sell.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
mukade

Post by mukade »

peeplj wrote:Unfortunately, even if he is actually immune as his body can kill the virus, that doesn't mean science will be able to figure out why he can, or be able to replicate the effect.

There may simply be some people who are naturally immune to the disease, or who are capable of defeating it once aquired.

--James
A small minority of people have a genetic mutation that makes them almost immune to HIV. They lack the receptors that the HIV virus uses to attach to the human body. According to research, the mutation has a high occurence in people from Northern Europe, especially the Swedes.

However, there is still one rare form of the virus that can affect this group.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Hate to be skeptical, but story feels odd to me. Reads like the gentleman is waiting to get paid. Maybe it's just the way the reporter wrote the story. Doesn't disease sometimes, very, very rarely, just go away?
Jack

Post by Jack »

dwinterfield wrote:Doesn't disease sometimes, very, very rarely, just go away?
Yes. Those times are called "miracles."
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

amar wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:

same here.
Because it probably is, which is why they want him to come back for more.