I got my gold belt in karate today

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Crevan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Crevan »

When I was studying the martial arts (not Karate) the ranking system went: white, yellow, green, blue, red, black. I was told by a very old Korean man that white indicates novice, yellow the earth, green the trees, blue the sky, red the sun, and black universal.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'm not going to try any kind of martial arts, because I find it theologically not-my-cup-of-tea. I don't believe in any kind of self-defence, because I believe when Jesus said "turn the other cheek" he meant it. If somebody physically attacks me (and this has actually happened before), I don't resist. The whole area of martial arts is not something I personally feel comfortable with but I like swimming, though. :)
BigDavy

Tai Chi

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Cranberry

Tai Chi has a theraputic side and does not need to be used as a martial art. There will likely be a class at your college, why not go and talk to the instructor and see what is available to you.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Jack

Re: Tai Chi

Post by Jack »

BigDavy wrote:Hi Cranberry

Tai Chi has a theraputic side and does not need to be used as a martial art. There will likely be a class at your college, why not go and talk to the instructor and see what is available to you.

David
I'm really not kidding. I feel strongly theologically uncomfortable with such things. I'd rather learn to swim properly (and I will, we have a beautiful giant indoor pool).
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

BigDavy wrote: Tai Chi has a theraputic side and does not need to be used as a martial art. There will likely be a class at your college, why not go and talk to the instructor and see what is available to you.

David

Congratulations, Tel, that's an accomplishment. One belt on the road to many!

We teach Tai Chi at the hospital where I work. When I first started taking the staff classes, I was surprised by the amount of control, effort and muscular strength required because everything is done in such slow motion, and by the amount of energy flow you get from it. Many of the forms are just delightful to perform . . . they feel good and look pretty darn cool, too.

It's good for old and sick people because it's something you can do within your capabilities. We even have a class for people in wheelchairs. But, if you're younger and more able, you can get a very solid workout from it. It's also a good mental exercise, as you have to remember all the sequences of motions. Very relaxing--you can't think of your regular troubles while doing it.

Tai Chi is done for energy and health. It has its roots in the martial arts, but that is not its prime purpose now.

One of the nicest things you learn from Tai Chi is that "not-resisting" is resistance . . . one of the most elegant forms of it.
Last edited by Lambchop on Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigDavy

Tai Chi

Post by BigDavy »

Lambchop said
One of the nicest things you learn from Tai Chi is that "not-resisting" is resistance . . . one of the most elegant forms of it.
A lesson you learn whilst lying in a heap on the floor wondering how you got there!! - Embrace Tiger and return to Mountain has a lot to anwer for.

David
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

BigDavy wrote:Lambchop said
A lesson you learn whilst lying in a heap on the floor wondering how you got there!! - Embrace Tiger and return to Mountain has a lot to anwer for.

David

BigDavy

Embrace Tiger and return to mountain

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Lambchop

Is this what you do?

http://www.gilmanstudio.com/OnLine_Class/Lesson57.htm

If so then this is a subset of the sequence I know as Embrace Tiger and Return to Mountain. A throw and chi na technique replaces the push away in the sequence shown in the link.

David
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

djm wrote:
CranB wrote:Kheeyah!
Whoa! Take it easy there, Cran. You frightened me! :o

Actually, you are pretty close. Its called a "Ki-ai" (a few variations on spelling). From Japanese - Ki = energy. Ai = harmony. The actual vocables used depend on the style, school, language (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.).

When done properly, a ki-ai is a concentrated blast of energy, used as a weapon in itself to throw off an opponent. It can also be used to help focus oneself on an immediate release of energy in one concentrated effort.

djm
Hey, that's the sound I make playing frisbee. It doesn't actually help me throw or catch better but it sure scares the hell out of the tai chi geezeers in the park.
BigDavy

Frisbee

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Wombat
but it sure scares the hell out of the tai chi geezeers in the park.
As long as they don't duff you up afterwards.

David
Lambchop

Re: Embrace Tiger and return to mountain

Post by Lambchop »

BigDavy wrote:Hi Lambchop

Is this what you do?

http://www.gilmanstudio.com/OnLine_Class/Lesson57.htm

If so then this is a subset of the sequence I know as Embrace Tiger and Return to Mountain. A throw and chi na technique replaces the push away in the sequence shown in the link.

David
Yup, that's basically it.

Hmmm, what a nice website you have found . . .

This is what we have . . . Taoist Tai Chi. It's clearly adapted for health and wellness. Very unoffensive.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Way to go Sam!! I've often thought about taking a Martial Arts type class, but I never seem to get around to it :P Maybe I'll look into Tai Chi.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

izzarina wrote:Way to go Sam!! I've often thought about taking a Martial Arts type class..
Bit late now ...

Slan,
D. :P
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote: Bit late now ...
Yes, actually, I am.....2 days! :lol: And hasn't anyone ever told you not to poke fun at tremendously pregnant women?
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
djm

Post by djm »

Sorry, Izz, I don't know how far along you are, but you might want to wait till "after". I knew several women who miscarried doing Tai Chi. There's a tremendous amount of internal stretching and strengthening going on, even though from the outside it looks slow and gentle. Give yourself a couple of months after delivery, and then start in slow and easy.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.