second instrument?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

second instrument?

Post by tin tin »

Out of idle curiosity:
Any ideas as to why the concertina seems to be such a common second instrument for flute players? (Other than the inherent coolness of the concertina...)
And what second instrument do people on this board play?
I've been noodling on the guitar for about 12 years, and probably haven't learned anything new in about 6...
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Whistle, if you don't already play. Uilleann Pipes would also seem like a logical decision but that will most likely eat all your Flute playing time.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Whistle is my second; I guess my third would be the Instrument that Must Not Be Named. :lol:

I also once tried to learn guitar; I didn't get very far at all. And I once took piano classes to get past barrier exams in college. You'd not wish to hear me play either one, today. :o :lol:

Polyphonic instruments just aren't my thing. I can get in plenty of trouble just playing one note at a time. :D

--James
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Saxophone.

And I know personnaly three flute players who play the concertina... And have no theory about that...
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Concertina....if I ever get it into a playable condition...
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Some of the really good players in these parts are also squeezers. It is an odd pattern.

I also play guitar, but can't for the life of me make decent backing noises so I won't even attempt to bring one to a session.

Id love to branch into harp once I can afford the $$$ and practice time (And a car big enough to haul one around)
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

It's the rare flute player who also doesn't play the whistle, but usually not nearly as well as they play the flute.

I just picked up the tenor banjo which puts me in pretty good company with the likes of Turloch Boylan amongst others.

I like to consider myself the poor man's Turloch, but unfortunately you get what you pay for... :P

Eric
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Concertina sounds really good with a wooden flute; it's the only one of the free reeds that does.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Flute was my second instrument, after whistle. Then it was on to low whistle, and currently, tenor banjo and fiddle. I should probably clone myself so I can get in the practice time...
Arbo
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I've played a lot of instruments to a certain low level of competence over the years - sax, oboe, clarinet, classical-style guitar, recorder.

I had to give up on strings in general - I broke my left index finger as a kid, and it's weak and stiff enough that it hurts like @!@$# before I really warm up on guitar. Ticked me off, because I *liked* playing guitar, and would have loved to pick up on mandolin.

About the only other instrument I regularly play now is whistle, though I could probably get back in form on recorder pretty fast if I needed to.

But - flute currently *is* my second instrument, though as I build my chops up I expect it to become my primary.

I don't have the time and basic musical skills to be a successful multi instrumentalist, I think; I just hope that I have the skills to be a decent journeyman-level flute and whistle player if I keep working at it.
David Levine

Concertina

Post by David Levine »

I came to the flute after playing concertina and fiddle for a few years. Playing the concertina bears some similarity to typing: press the button and you get the right result. It makes its own noise. No tuning problems (everybody tunes to you). No volume problems. And the sound is totally different, which is probably why most fluters like it so much.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i'm getting more and more into box playing. at a session a few weeks back, i had the chance to try out a Cairdin mini deluxe, extremely fast and steady action, one could play that box all night, you won't get tired.
John Whelan plays one http://www.johnwhelan.com/discography/index.asp
i ordered one last week :party:

i'll sell my heavy 3 voice box when the Cairdin arrives.
BillG

Post by BillG »

Concertina sounds really good with a wooden flute; it's the only one of the free reeds that does.

Chromatic harmonica. Was my first instrument and continues in the background sometimes before flute and sometimes after and, maybe, during. Played in the key of D it is the SECOND - any maybe FIRST free reed instrument that sounds great with wooden flute.

Also play whistle but it takes third place.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I play a Hayden-style duet concertina as well as Anglo.

I also perform publically on the following:

Guitar (classical and acoustic)
Bass
Fiddle
Mandolin
flute
Whistle
Chromatic and diatonoic harmonicas
Lever Harp (a little)

Poor, poor public. :lol:

Doc

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Flute players take up the concertina, I suspect, for the same reasons I took up the accordion: the thing's always in tune, the tone is consistent, you can play it after eating, there's basically no maintenance like swabbing or oiling to worry about, it's way easier on your hands, and it's louder than a treeful of jackhammers.

I play guitar, C#/D box, and flute in sessions. I also play bouzouki, tenor banjo, mandolin, and other more whimsical instruments. My first instrument was the trombone, then classical guitar, then flute.