a question for the oracle..

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

djm wrote:Tyler, are you sure about that spelling? To convert a wind instrument on a PC you need a microphone plugged into a sound card plus recording software to save your playing as a digitized (sampled) file. You would then need software that could analyze the digitized file and turn it into a score (or a midi file, practically the same thing for these purposes). I have an application called Spectrogram that will analyze ONE current note, but it cannot create a score.
http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/gram.html
When you refer to MIDI, that is not a wind instrument-friendly environment, unless you buy one of those Yamaha MIDI-controllers that "looks" like a flute. Most MIDI stuff is geared more towards keyboards, although there are some really good guitar-like MIDI-controllers.

djm
I accidentally diverged into refference to my piano music, with which I have MIDI control a-plenty...
Rapsody will use microphone interface.

I've been trying to find a website that still carries that software, but I cant seem to find it...it's possible that they don't make it anymore.
We used to sell it when I worked for Musician's Friend, but that's been a few years ago now.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Tyler, no probs. Gary's suggestion, AudioToMIDI, looks interesting. Looks like a lot of work to pull polyphonic, but might be great for pulling solo instruments.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

djm wrote:Tyler, no probs. Gary's suggestion, AudioToMIDI, looks interesting. Looks like a lot of work to pull polyphonic, but might be great for pulling solo instruments.

djm
Yeah, I've not heard of that one before now. I wonder if it works with MIDI2 stuff too...
I haven't done a lot of conversion stuff for years, so I'm a bit behind. Most of what I do now is simply access the MIDI programs on my laptop via my Ensoniq or Roland when I play with my band...

Hell, that oughta show ya how long it's been since I've bothered to update my equipment... I bought my Ensoniq new, they dont even make Ensoniq anymore, EMu bought em out I think (but thankfully still manufactures hardware for them)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
djm

Post by djm »

Ha! I've still got a Roland MKS-7 Super Quartet, two Yamaha FB-01s, and a Roland U110 (remember 12-bit audio?). I really should clear out my rack, but I have no idea where to keep all the dust. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Here is a site that I came across while doing a search on "Calypso"

Maybe it will help you Amar, or someone else.

http://www.123writemelody.com/
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

thanks for all your answers. here is what i really want, free if possible:
I record something with my whistle with goldwave. that will then be a wav file. this wav file I want to convert into a midi file. this midi file I want to run through a program which will give me the dots I can print out. now...is there an easy way?

Cheers. ;)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I already told you.
But the proggies aren't free.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
amar

Post by amar »

GaryKelly wrote:I already told you.
But the proggies aren't free.
cheers matey, will check 'em. :)
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

amar wrote:thanks for all your answers. here is what i really want, free if possible:
I record something with my whistle with goldwave. that will then be a wav file. this wav file I want to convert into a midi file. this midi file I want to run through a program which will give me the dots I can print out. now...is there an easy way?

Cheers. ;)
Hey Amar!

The latest version of Finale does exactly what you are proposing, but without the middle step of having to digitize a performance first. It simply analyzes the pitch coming through the sound card/mic/audio input and automatically converts it to MIDI and the appropriate dot on the page.

It is really very easy to use. There are some sensitivity parameters to set to get it to go really accurately but in as little as an evening of playing around with it you can get very good results.

Keep in mind that this isn't the only thing this software does. It will do much more, so don't expect to launch it and there will be a button that says Click for perfect mic notation. Expect a bit of a learning curve. (But not what people used to pull their hairs out for a decade ago with Finale.) All the help is on-line and cross referenced with links so the learning and tutorials are pretty fast in building the skills you will need to put together a nice page of printed music.

It costs though. But not too much for incredibly full featured software. The cheapest package that you can get that still has the MicNotator® module is Finale PrintMusic. It is only $70 US. I have used the full version of this software and it notated what ever I played as fast as I could play it. Jigs and reels are no problem -- at speed!

One last caveat. Writing music is much like writing a language. Even if you know how to speak that language very well, imagine how difficult it may be to use a typewriter if you have never learned to read that language. This will be a similar endeavor.

Good Luck!

~Scott
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

amar

Post by amar »

Scott McCallister wrote:
amar wrote:thanks for all your answers. here is what i really want, free if possible:

Cheers. ;)
Hey Amar!

The latest version of Finale does exactly what you are proposing, but without the middle step of having to digitize a performance first. It simply analyzes the pitch coming through the sound card/mic/audio input and automatically converts it to MIDI and the appropriate dot on the page.

It is really very easy to use. There are some sensitivity parameters to set to get it to go really accurately but in as little as an evening of playing around with it you can get very good results.

Keep in mind that this isn't the only thing this software does. It will do much more, so don't expect to launch it and there will be a button that says Click for perfect mic notation. Expect a bit of a learning curve. (But not what people used to pull their hairs out for a decade ago with Finale.) All the help is on-line and cross referenced with links so the learning and tutorials are pretty fast in building the skills you will need to put together a nice page of printed music.

It costs though. But not too much for incredibly full featured software. The cheapest package that you can get that still has the MicNotator® module is Finale PrintMusic. It is only $70 US. I have used the full version of this software and it notated what ever I played as fast as I could play it. Jigs and reels are no problem -- at speed!

One last caveat. Writing music is much like writing a language. Even if you know how to speak that language very well, imagine how difficult it may be to use a typewriter if you have never learned to read that language. This will be a similar endeavor.

Good Luck!

~Scott
Thanks for the link Scott. And pertaining to your caveat, you see, the dots wouldn't be for me anyway, they'd be for a friend who'd then learn the tune. :)
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

A suggestion: as you're trying this out, work with someone who reads notation. Otherwise, how will you know when your computer is producing gobbledegook?

The last time I did audio-to-MIDI-to-notation was 14 years ago, using a hardware gizmo called an IVL Pitchrider, which later turned into that horrible thing they used on Cher's "I Believe In Love" single. Maybe I'll try it again.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

A sudden thought... the Auto Tuner for PC (and MAC) is free, and provides all sorts of functionality apart from being a chromatic tuner.

If nothing else, it'll tell you the name of the notes you're playing. It provides for a number of different instruments and is actually very cool :)

Check it out at:

http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.html
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner