Articulation help needed

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jumbuk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Articulation help needed

Post by Jumbuk »

Fairly straightforward question: Scatter the Mud (jig in A dorian): 2nd bar goes e' a a, a b d. What is the "normal" way to articulate the three successive a's? I am cutting the first 2 then striking (tapping) the next one. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

I would either tongue the first 2 and cut the third or tongue the first tap the second and cut the third. Glottlers would of course glottal instead of tongue.
Rob
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Re: Articulation help needed

Post by fearfaoin »

Jumbuk wrote:I am cutting the first 2 then striking (tapping) the next one..
What you're describing is a roll, and it is a perfectly good way to
articulate three of the same note.

Brother Steve's site also discusses the possibility of tounguing the third
note in a group of three when playing jigs. This would work well here.
You'd slur the e and the first A, then tongue the second A, and either
cut or tap the third A.
BMFW

Post by BMFW »

Personally, I would tap (strike) after the first A and cut after the second one - I think that sequence fits in better to the flow of a jig. I would generally strike between the 2nd & 3rd notes of a 3-note sequence in a jig. Tripping Up The Stairs springs to mind:

fa(tap)a gb(tap)b etc.... In this example I would cut the g, making the sequence of ornamentation the same as in your example.

If the a's came in as the first 3 notes of the bar or the second 3, then I would use a roll. As in The Kesh Jig, for example:

ggg gab | eee ebd' would become

g(cut)g(tap)g (cut)gab | e(cut)e(tap)e (cut)ebd'

Confused?
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Treeshark's first solution sounds best of all the options so far, in my opinion.
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

something I learned from Turlach Boylan's playing... do a long roll on the e and then play the "a" once. It's a nice "flutey" way of getting around the 3 "a"s...

so...

e3 ABd
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

McChastain wrote:something I learned from Turlach Boylan's playing... do a long roll on the e and then play the "a" once. It's a nice "flutey" way of getting around the 3 "a"s...

so...

e3 ABd
I think, rather than doing this, I would instead turn the first two As into a short roll, i.e. e~2A ABd (not sure of the abc syntax, but hopefully you get my drift). This is less "flutey" than what you suggest, but I think more in the spirit of the tune. The A is an open string on the fiddle, so likely the fiddler will dig in at least a little bit on those two notes. It would be nice to match that on the flute, rather than leaving out the A notes entirely.

In reality, though, rather than rolling the A I'd be more likely to glottal-stop the first two As and then cut the third, or maybe even glottal-stop all three with a stronger breath pulse on the last one (the one on the beat).
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

I would generally do something similar to john... except tap the last... but I might not always do that either...

My abc above wasn't correct... I meant (in bold)

Bd [eAA BAG] [E3 ABd]

If playing in the above style, I would also add the Bcd triplet at the end... instead of just playing Bd.

FWIW... I'm a sucker for the flutey craic.
Jumbuk

Post by Jumbuk »

Those are all useful suggestions.

I agree with John - the a's are a kind of pedal that the higher notes play against. They sound nice on banjo (or fiddle) because they make a ringing sound on the open a string. I'm trying to keep this "hammering" quality in my flute version of the tune.

I'm intrigued by the tonguing suggestions. I had more or less tried to eliminate tonguing because I use it too much. It certainly makess these kind of articulations easier.

I think I will move away from striking the 3rd a - it falls on a beat, and I find I have to almost overblow the note to get a clean strike. Better to cut.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

(and also for the Kesh jig, which I am working on as well).
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

C# grace note, Strike, then Tap so you move pointer finger, middle finger, and then ring finger that is how I would do it it is pretty much a cut with a C# grace before it.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

here's one way to articulate, not the best but hopefully gives you an idea.
i played the 'a' part a few times before heading into the 'b' part.

http://www.savefile.com/files/1922019

this version is what i knew as 'freehan's no.2'. it comes after a mighty jig which is aptly called 'freehan's no.1'.

another version which i like is jack and charlie's, it's on their 'branch line' cd.
Jumbuk

Post by Jumbuk »

Hay, thanks Rama. That's very generous of you. Can you describe (briefly!) what you are doing in the first couple of bars?
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

To me it sounds kind of lame to use a roll to articulate this phrase. My general rule in jigs is to only use cuts and taps on the beat and tongue elsewhere. I'd either do treeshark's first suggestion, or tongue just the second A and cut the third. If I were using the second method I'd also tongue the d so I could get a little backbeat pattern going.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

here's another clip of the 'a' part, this time i tried as many variations of it that i could think of (in a minute) based on what i read here. it isn't necessarily a tune that i would normally play as i do not have a good feel for it, so this is a good exercise for me to see if i can get, but i'd rather tag along with a fiddler on it, and let them do all the work (hehe):

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=8977057

played that bit (eaa abD) 4 times,
1 = tongue second 'a ', cut third 'a'
2 = tongue second 'a', tap third 'a'
3 = tongue three 'a' s
4= cut three 'a 's
scheky

Post by scheky »

I'd take a long drink from my pint and let the other folks in the session figure out what way they think is best.