The Whistle in Bluegrass... (yes, you heard right...)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Isilwen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Isilwen »

Believe it or not, today when I was at the RiverFest in the Idaho town of Kamiah, I was walking around and a band was jamming before they went on, or were just jamming, and there was a WHISTLE PLAYER playing with them as they played the popular bluegrass song, RedWing...

My mouth must've fell open a foot or two...

She was playing a green and black Sweetone...

Anyone else seen similar things?
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
carrie

Post by carrie »

Though rarely used, the whistle is a natural with bluegrass, in my opinion. I play whistle in a little bluegrass band--even take a turn on the whistle on Foggy Mountain Breakdown and Salt Creek and other bluegrass standards. Tim O'Brien (current president, by the way, of the International Bluegrass Music Association) uses the whistle a lot in his music: he's recorded with Seamus Egan, in fact, and I've heard John Williams play whistle in the live shows here in the Chicago area. True, O'Brien is exploring the celtic/bluegrass connection: his group called The Crossing includes Williams as well as Karan Casey and John Doyle, all former Solas members. The CD called The Crossing shows how beautifully the whistle mixes in, even though the music on that CD is not "pure" Bill Monroe kind of bluegrass. I don't know of any other bluegrass bands that use the whistle, but in roughly the same category Michelle Shocked and Steve Earle also add the whistle on some of their tracks--great stuff. Steve Earle's CD The Mountain especially comes to mind.

Carol Skinner
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Yes - my brothers have a bluegrass band and we've found several songs in common (Morrison's Jig, Red-Haired Boy, Jackie Tar....etc) - of course the beat is slightly different when played with them, but we all like the sound and enjoy playing them together. I've introduced them to a few songs that are close enough to their "sound" that they've learned them (they particularly like "Ridin' on a Load of Hay").
I think it's the Celtic roots of bluegrass...
Susan
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

You guys stole my thunder. I was thinking of being a bluegrass whistler around here! It's a natural, like Carol says. I mean, you have worked up all these tunes in common anyway. And you would get to improvise more.
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

I've been playing Bluegrass whistle for about a year around here, mostly because it's one of the few muscial genres around here that a whsitler can play with and there are no sessions around here at all.

"Red Wing" is fantastic on a whistle.

It is a natural mix...considering so much Bluegrass and Old Timey are direct descendents of Celtic music. Take "Black Velvet Band" and Bill Monroe's "Blue Velvet Band" and tell me what the real difference is there. Not much!

Heck, the whistle is great on songs like "Jambalaya" and Cripple Creek is great with a whistle and bodhran. It's even good on "Rocky Top." Sometimes I even play "Cattle Call" on the damn thing!

If playing Bluegrass is the only way I can play with other people, I'll keep playing bluegrass whistle!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anna Martinez on 2002-07-14 11:49 ]</font>
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Yeah, I wouldn't mind learning... right now I'm just learning/doing "back-up" guitar... But I did find out right quick that A. you need a capo if you're going to play guitar, and B. you need a whistle in A.... :smile:

Other than that, I had a great time at the session afterwards, but after an hour or so, I had to quit, because my left wrist was really starting to hurt... probably because when I play guitar, I have this nasty habit of curling my pinkie up really tight, so it stresses that muscle. And then when I said that I thought I should probably go, they all said "no!! Oh come on! Stay for just one more... it's your pick anyway, so do a whislte song...." ect. :smile: It was fun.
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Keep it simple, stay in the keys of D, G and Em! (and sometimes A) Don't do what I did, like use your pinkie on the pick guard to brace yourself when picking...nasty habit!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anna Martinez on 2002-07-14 18:29 ]</font>
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

*grin*

Yeah, I'm looking into a Capo right now... so I can easily play in A.... *grin*

And, the guy who gave me a "private lesson" in Guitar yesterday, said I needed to brace my wrist and not use any arm movement, but I feel more comfortable playing with arm movement...

And It was fun! There was this Mandolin player from the Fletcher sisters group I think it was, and I think he really enjoyed doing some Irish stuff... you should have heard him pick out this Jig (it was either Swallowtail, or Irish Washerwoman...)!! Wow!! Phenomenal!!!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've been playing bluegrass whistle
for a couple of years on the street
with The Bates Street Folk and Blues
Band. It's a natural, as several have
said, and relatively easy too. I suppose
the reason that whistles didn't find
their way into blue grass sooner
is that blue grass musicians weren't
aware of them.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Entry point is more on the ballads as fill between verses. Cropping up in Nashville fairly regularly as well as tv/movie instrumental.

But if you can improvise and jam on the reels, it will fit right in. Although mandolin was a staple since Bill Monroe at least, it has skyrocketed through various national styles here in Bay Area because of David Grisman et al. Was called Newgrass here but heck, they play jazz, Brazilian music and everything with that little box.

So why not whistle? Only chromaticism will limit it some.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I've often thought Dervish sounded like the Irish version of a bluegrass band, and Cathy Jordan has the perfect voice for both genres.
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

LOL! I played Redwing on the whistle today in church with the folk orchestra.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I find Altan even more so, mostly the way they attack reels. I have wondered if they sound more Northern Irish/Orange to educated ears out there? Or can you ascribe a style to them? I am thinking of their version of Tommy People's or Red Crow stuff. I have a fair amount of Scottish records and it seems like Altan has that kind of energy on fast stuff.

I am still trying to discern the differences in regional styles, based on the records I own and Breathnach's notes in his book. Problem is, I get the feeling that some of the fiddlers are just really unique any way (like Potts).
I have that Clare compilaton (with Mary Custy, Vincent Griffin et al) and Historic Clare of course and sort of have a handle on that style. But I also have solo records of Tommy Potts, Tommy Peoples, Julia Clifford, Mick Coneely, the the various group records, like Altan, Solas, dervish. I have been listening to the Julia Clifford a lot (since I love to play slides, I thought I would go to the source) but I am not sure what makes it Sliabh Luchra-style.

Breathnach said that the Northern play the triplets instead of the rolls (Altan does rolls though but pretty subtle) and that they "favor a strong single bowing stroke". Not having access to a real irish fiddler, i am not sure what that means, beyond imagining a strong downbeat followed by slurs).

Also, some reels have occassional opposing low notes that are played as though they would have a line over em in classical music. They stick out on purpose. I like the effect and use it on the whistle, like on Dillon Brown.I don't know if thats a stylistic. And despite Breathnach assertion that crescendos and volume level changes are not stylistic, those Historic Clare quartet most certainly go up and down in volume on a few of the reels in the middle of phrases. It soars then returns.

Somebody make sense of fiddling for me, at least above listed players or recommend the MOST stylistic players so I can compare? IRTRAD is hard to approach for my kind of questions...I am on the verge of purchasing a Donegal fiddlers compilation at the local store but you guys recommend so many dang cds that I am always afraid I will miss the next big thing so I pass on the old familiar choices...

Best to all.
The Confused Weekender
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Have you seen the article on Altan in the latest Dirty Linen? In it, they say they are indeed adherents to the Donegal fiddle technique, which calls for bowing each note separately. This would likely translate to much tonguing or "breath-blasting" on a whistle or flute.

However, I also read another article on Altan which states that they all listen to a variety of CD's and records. If this is true, it will probably come out in their individual styles. So they probably DO listen to some bluegrass. (Mairead, do you have the "O Brother" soundtrack?) :grin:

(Another C&F mystery: Does Finbar Furey own any Ventures records, or is it the other way around? I could have sworn I heard a Ventures version of "The Lonesome Boatman" a few months ago.)
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

On 2002-07-15 10:03, BrassBlower wrote:

However, I also read another article on Altan which states that they all listen to a variety of CD's and records. If this is true, it will probably come out in their individual styles. So they probably DO listen to some bluegrass. (Mairead, do you have the "O Brother" soundtrack?) :grin:
Is Ciaran Tourish still with Altan? I read somewhere that he was interested in American music. I remember something about Cajun but not bluegrass.

Steve