Larry Nugent - Gear question

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Larry Nugent - Gear question

Post by Wormdiet »

Anybody know what type of flute he's using? Or more specifically, what he was using on the "Irish Traditional Music" CD?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

Olwell, i believe.
there is no end to the walking
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

D flute by Patrick Olwell. At least on "two for two".

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Pratten? Most encouraging, he sounds lovely.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I had a few lessons with Laurence at Gaelic Roots in Summer of 2000. He was playing a keyed blackwood Olwell "Pratten" in D. I believe he also had seperate unkeyed sections in Eb and C. For whistles he was playing Copelands in D and C.

Chris
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Yes, Olwell, and lefthanded keywork, as that's how he plays although he's otherwise righthanded.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Nanohedron wrote:Yes, Olwell, and lefthanded keywork, as that's how he plays although he's otherwise righthanded.
That is pretty crazy.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Unseen122 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Yes, Olwell, and lefthanded keywork, as that's how he plays although he's otherwise righthanded.
That is pretty crazy.
It's not unknown. I understand there are others who do that, too. FWIW, a predominance of very old illustrations show transverse flutes being played "lefthanded", and it's suggested that this was probably the commonplace method long ago.

I'm not that old, so I can't confirm this.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Father Emmet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Father Emmet »

Unseen122 wrote:
That is pretty crazy.
I'll bet it makes it easier to learn tunes from him, like looking in a mirror.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Then there's Kevin Henry. He's lefthanded, but plays a righthanded flute.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

FWIW, a predominance of very old illustrations show transverse flutes being played "lefthanded", and it's suggested that this was probably the commonplace method long ago.
I'm curious about this as the preponderence of old flute keywork I've seen strongly supports the right handed playing in the preponderance. Could it been more illustrator ignorance or copying images from old photos that reversed the image?

You lefties out there, just how easy is a normal/right handed 8 key flute to play?

Eric
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Jayhawk wrote:
FWIW, a predominance of very old illustrations show transverse flutes being played "lefthanded", and it's suggested that this was probably the commonplace method long ago.
I'm curious about this as the preponderence of old flute keywork I've seen strongly supports the right handed playing in the preponderance. Could it been more illustrator ignorance or copying images from old photos that reversed the image?

You lefties out there, just how easy is a normal/right handed 8 key flute to play?

Eric
Eric, I'm referring to illustrations dating from the medieval and later periods. I've seen a good deal of leftanded positioning depicted. Could be artistic ignorance, of course.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Oh, medieval and renaissance images - that's interesting.

No wonder flutes were considered vile, base instruments if they were being played in the sinistral manner. :devil:

Eric
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:I had a few lessons with Laurence at Gaelic Roots in Summer of 2000. He was playing a keyed blackwood Olwell "Pratten" in D. I believe he also had seperate unkeyed sections in Eb and C. For whistles he was playing Copelands in D and C.

Chris
Chris, dude, where are you these days???
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Hi Loren -

I'm in northern Uganda working for UNICEF as Human Rights and Protection Officer. I've been with UNICEF for about six months now, before that I was with Amnesty International. I've been in the country for around 11 months, with a quick visit to Rwanda about a quarter way through, and visits to Irleland and South Africa on my way here.

Unfortunately I don't have a chance to play music very much these days. I live in a little thatched hut in the compound of MSF (Doctors Without Borders.... I don't speak French) and don't really have any private space to play. I suppose I could play outside, but it's perpetually hot and the flute would break. Unfortunately, when I do play, it's mostly on the whistle, not because I prefer it, but because it's better suited to this environment. That said, I do have my Patrick Olwell flute with me and it is rock solid... no swelling, no shrinking, no cracks... a fantastic flute in every way.

How about you? Are you still with VonHeune? I may be coming back for a little while in December and it would be fun to get together. Do be in touch.

Peace,
Chris