Destroy Times New Roman

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Tony wrote:
Jerry Freeman wrote:.....My mother was an unpublished but fairly prolific fiction writer.....
Jerry, will you explain that?
She wrote several novels and numerous short stories, but none was ever accepted for publication.

Is that the sort of explanation you were looking for, or were you asking me to explain why none of her writings was ever accepted for publication?

Best wishes,
Jerry
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Garamond is the world's greatest font.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

DaleWisely wrote:Garamond is the world's greatest font.
Such superlatives prompt me to ask you to post examples so that I might admire them.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I was going to say something more moderate about it, like, it's a damn good font--one of my favorites, really. But I send everything out in either Times or Courier because that's what's expected.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I can't understand how any non-black-letter fonts came to be called "Gothic".

Here are a few that I made for Casady & Greene back in the early '90s.
Except for the last, none have ths slightest relation to either Times or Gothics.
(The images are screen fonts are not antialiased. The printed versions are much nicer.)

Image  Image

Image  Image

Image  Image  Image

The last of these is Vremya, which is based on Times Roman. It's the font that was used to print Gorbachev's speeches during his last visit to the US before he shut down the USSR. After that, we heard from several customers that the Soviet Consulate in San Francisco was requiring all Russian-language documents to be printed using our Cyrillic fonts.

I've seen both Abilene and Black Knight on TV several times.

I'm sure I've posted the following here before, but here they are again.

Here's a paperback novel cover using Black Knight for the title. The shape of the F has been modified in Photoshop. (The back cover has some text in Black Knight, too.)

And here's a Bluegrass CD cover using Dry Gulch. I think Grisman may have done it himself.

Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My favorite is New Century Schoolbook, followed at some distance by Palatino. I like less dense fonts.

Unfortunately, most of the people I work with not only don't use these fonts, they have Windoze machines, which, when confronted with an uninstalled font from a Mac, do things that I find unacceptable. Like turn them into Times New Roman. So I just go with the flow, use TNR, and display at 150-200%. I should just piss everybody off and use Courier.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

FJohnSharp wrote:
I was going to say something more moderate about it, like, it's a damn good font--one of my favorites, really. But I send everything out in either Times or Courier because that's what's expected.
I doubt that the average person could distinguish among Times, Garamond, and Palatino--or even Baskerville or Didot.

Courier's horrid. Courier New is a little better--or is it? I prefer sans serif monospaced font's, like Andale Mono, or even Monaco. I once modified Times New Roman for a friend to make it monospaced.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Melanie

Post by Melanie »

When I was in college I remember that New York always came in handy when trying to "stretch" a paper. Tasteful....yet....space-consuming. :)
"The road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began."
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I disagree. 'Souvenir' is the greatest.

And for those occasions when madness sets in, 'Klingon Dagger' is unbeatable.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Tony wrote:
Jerry Freeman wrote:.....My mother was an unpublished but fairly prolific fiction writer.....
Jerry, will you explain that?
This does not require explanation!
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

I remember that a while back, I couldn't stand TNR. It looked so...old. I always prettied up my papers with either Tempus Sans ITC or Comic Sans ITC, et al.. However, in recent times, TNR has grown on me. So, what can I say is my favorite font? :-?
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I detest TNR. When I did "Graphic design in the trenches" (IE worked at an independent kinkos-like establishment) any document brought in by a client using TNR (PRobably around 80%) was bound to be F-ed up in numerous ways. It is the default typeface. It screams "I am a conformist and I have not artistic sensitivities at all. I am content to follow the herd."

It is the muzak of typography.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Those are cool Darwin.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Darwin wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:
I doubt that the average person could distinguish among Times, Garamond, and Palatino--or even Baskerville or Didot.

Courier's horrid. Courier New is a little better--or is it? I prefer sans serif monospaced font's, like Andale Mono, or even Monaco. I once modified Times New Roman for a friend to make it monospaced.
All I know is that when submitting manuscripts to big time publishers, they still like Courier (or Courier New), double spaced, to look all typewriter-ly and stuff. I don't have to like it.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
fearfaoin

Re: Destroy Times New Roman

Post by fearfaoin »

DaleWisely wrote:Can anyone stand to look at it anymore?
You can join up with <a href="http://www.bancomicsans.com/home.html">these guys</a> who are displeased with a font that was meant to look like the lettering in comics.
It was cute for a while, until folks decided it would look good on serious documents.

edit: Incidentally, they have some nifty fonts that actually DO look like comic book lettering:
http://www.bancomicsans.com/fonts_g.html
(click on the letters at the top to see the font names that start with that letter)