POLL: What Type of Whistler R U?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What type(s) of whistle do you currently favor?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:34 am

High back pressure aluminum
8%
Low back pressure wide bore pure brass
15%
Narrow bore chiffy cheapie
14%
Other
31%
Combination
17%
Stupid Question
15%

Total votes: 65

PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

POLL: What Type of Whistler R U?

Post by PhilO »

I alluded to this in the body of another thread; but, I'm curious as to whether this actually breaks out along specific lines.

I think I'm mostly a low back pressure, wide bore, pure kind of guy actually :evil:

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Which is defined as Burke.

Me too.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Montana

Post by Montana »

Other - Higher backpressure pure wood (there's someone else out there with the signature "Got wood"; bet he agrees with me).
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Lemme think.... what type of whistle do I like....
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
HeronMark

Post by HeronMark »

As I only have a Dixon low d.... "low back pressure, wide body, all plastic" is what im all about... :lol:

well... i did play a very nice brass whistle in Chicago that was all brass, low back pressure, wide body etc... but that was before i was playing whistle, and it was a bit out of my price range, 400$... but it was very nice
Psalms 150:4 Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes! --Even Fipple Flutes
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

I'm guessing my Mellow Dog is still in the "chiffy, cheapo" categorie. I like that old original, edgy type sound. Kinda like a guitar with a touch of distortion that smooths it out. I'm still new to the whistling world and may, someday, change my mind.
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
Katta

Post by Katta »

If I only knew...
That's why I didn't vote. I guess it's because I'm still a newbie. Every time I read a new review or hear another whistle sample I think, hey, maybe I like this better... :boggle:
Problem is: I don't have the money to simply start buying one of every kind. :D
So I guess this will be a lifelong project... for which I finally have to decide what to start with... pure, chiffy, breathy, aluminium, brass etc.??? I just like them all...
Wynder

Post by Wynder »

I use a Burke Brass Pro Sessioner for my performing (mostly outdoors) and though a strong wind can really disturb the airflow, when I'm in a pavillioned area or don't have to be concerned about the wind, I love the wide bore for volume and the brass for a nice, dark and mellow sound.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I voted the "low backpressure, pure tone" one, but I think I'm slowly converting to the high backpressure crowd. I really like my Burke DAN, but I really like my Rose, too. And the Rose has a good bit of backpressure.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Dana

Post by Dana »

Gimme some backpressure.
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Other for me.

My preference is for plastic (my Susato "whistle of doom" - named by dcrom, and my Water Weasel), also Sweet's Birch Laminate.

I don't like much resistance in whistles. I like the relatively free-blowing type.

Me and metal whistles don't get along at all.

Aldon
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I like a slight amount of backpressure (as opposed to none)..
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Medium to high back pressure Brass or Wood wider bore. My favorite Whistles are probably my Bleazey and my Black Diamond. I prefer the BD to my Sindt which I feel is too narrow and has too little back pressure.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Montana wrote:Other - Higher backpressure pure wood (there's someone else out there with the signature "Got wood"; bet he agrees with me).
:twisted: Yeah buddy!

My newest

I am not adverse to the aluminum (Overton) side of things either.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Depends on what I am playing. I like the Humphrey narrow bore D and the Alba Q1. The Alba has more back pressure and is somewhat purer but the Humphrey has that Trad sound without being too tempermental. Of course I play my cheapies a lot. Mainly because I have 4 cheapies in my car and a bunch more on my computer desk. I would really like a Burke though and a Busman and a Sweetheart Pro and.........

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.