Malaprop, malaprop, oh mala-malaprop...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Malaprop, malaprop, oh mala-malaprop...

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Hi, my name is JES. I live in Florida where there are giant allegories in the swamps that percolate my state.

Take it aweigh! :D
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I once heard a sweet old lady asking a coffee shop assistant for an "Al Pacino...with two sugars please"

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Years ago one of my patient's was describing a sort of depressed relative of hers. She said "She's always waddling in self pity". I thought that was a particularly visual image...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

My son is a paramedic. On one call they picked up a lady and were questioning her about meds she took. They were puzzled by "peanut butterball"... until they realized she meant phenobarbital...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I don't get it. I'm compounded and it makes me engaged. I wish someone would mummify me.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

One of our resident doctors was volunteering at the Cleveland Free Clinic years ago. One day he was speaking with a young woman who was having abdominal pain and cramps. The exam rooms were really cubicles with with a curtain over the opening. So, trying to approach the subject of menstruation delicately he asked the patient, "How is your flow?"
"Huh?", she said.
"How is your flow?" he asked again, a little louder.
Again she replied, "Huh?"
The doctor the asked again, loudly, "How is your flow?"
"Oh, my flow," she answered, "my flow's linoleum."
Mike
emmline

Post by emmline »

This one's weird:
My daughter, at 3 or 4, insisting that she wanted "3 little erasers." Took us a while until she finally pulled out a vanilla wafers box.

Once saw a lady in the local DMV, trying to fill out paperwork. She looked at it in disgust and said "This is so flustrating."
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Just shy of two years ago my wife had to go under the knife for a surgery...when she came out she was disoriented for extended periods of time. When I returned to her hospital room the following day after work she said she was still disoriented and she told me "The doctor says it's because I had a small alergic reaction to the encyclopedia." (anesthesia) :lol: :lol: I thought she was still a little gonzo from the surgery so I let it slide...then on the way home that night I got what she was trying to tell me...I LMAO!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I heard of a customer in a record store who wanted to buy a recording by the harp player Carol Anne.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

The encyclopedia bit reminded me of a story Dick Van Dyke tells of a Sunday School class where the teacher told a class of young children that if they wanted more information about something-or-other they were discussing they could look it up in the encyclopedia. She then asked, "Do any of you have encyclopedias at home?" One little girl piped up and said, "Oh, yes, my mama knits them all the time!"

Once in awhile I still find myself trying to work out what she thought encyclopedias were...
Susan
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Speaking of Sunday School stories...a teacher asked the kids if they knew what God's name was. One little boy replied, "Andy?" The teacher asked why he thought God's name was Andy. The boy replied, "well, that's what it says in the Hymn book." The teacher asked which song. The boy replied. "I Come to the Garden Alone...it says, 'and he walks with me and he talks with me, and he tells me I am his own.'"
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

Everybody knows that God's name is Howard as it says in the Lords prayer: "and Howard be thy name"!
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

But I thought God's name was Art'. Our Father who is Art in heaven.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Did anyone else in Sunday school instead of "Fishers of men" sing "I will make you vicious old men"?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
djm

Post by djm »

The title of Malachy McCourt's book "A Monk Swimming" came from his childhood misinterpretation of "Blessed art thou amongst women".

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.