Nice set of tunes on Clips'n'Snips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BMFW
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Nice set of tunes on Clips'n'Snips

Post by BMFW »

Here

I don't know how many of you delve into the clips archive. I only do it when I'm so busy at work that I buckle under the pressure and do nothing when I really should be working (surely I'm not alone).

Anyway, the set features Markus, who posts here sometimes, but I also loved the fiddle playing on the first track. Markus certainly likes to give the Hammy a blast, you can really hear him digging in. The second tune is a great tune - I must re-learn it.

Hope you enjoy it. I must get back to work - damn, look at the time, I'd better just go home!

G
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Nice set of tunes on Clips'n'Snips

Post by Jon C. »

BMFW wrote:Here
I don't know how many of you delve into the clips archive. I only do it when I'm so busy at work that I buckle under the pressure and do nothing when I really should be working (surely I'm not alone).
We are all goofing off, that is why we are visiting the site!
Anyway, the set features Markus, who posts here sometimes, but I also loved the fiddle playing on the first track. Markus certainly likes to give the Hammy a blast, you can really hear him digging in. The second tune is a great tune - I must re-learn it.
Sounds great!
Hope you enjoy it. I must get back to work - damn, look at the time, I'd better just go home!
ot over yet for us on the "Left Coast" of the US of A...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Markus

Post by Markus »

Why thank you! 8)

Antti is indeed a great fiddle player.

If I remember correctly, the 2nd tune is Spindle shanks, which is somewhat a classic back home in Helsinki. (I'm in Limerick until July..) Once you've picked it up, you'll have a great way of getting up a certain boxplayer's nose if you ever visit the O'Malley's' session in Helsinki. A great bloke who seems to know all the tunes but not like them all. Just follow it up with Christmas Eve and tell him I said hi. :wink:

Markus
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Nice tunes, I love the phrasing on the Hammy. It sure can bark on that low end.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

please to educate me - "Hammy"? But then... I'm still waiting on the download...perhaps the answer will be more obvious to me when that's finished.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
chas

Post by chas »

Flutes made by Hammy Hamilton. They're classic large-holed flutes, nicely optimized for honking and playing Irish music in general. Deirdre Havlin, erstwhile of Deanta, plays them; she shows that not only can they honk, but they can sing pretty well too.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

chas wrote:Flutes made by Hammy Hamilton. They're classic large-holed flutes, nicely optimized for honking and playing Irish music in general. Deirdre Havlin, erstwhile of Deanta, plays them; she shows that not only can they honk, but they can sing pretty well too.
I am edified! Thank you muchly. Sure sounded good on those tunes!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

chas wrote:Flutes made by Hammy Hamilton. They're classic large-holed flutes, nicely optimized for honking and playing Irish music in general. Deirdre Havlin, erstwhile of Deanta, plays them; she shows that not only can they honk, but they can sing pretty well too.
I just dragged my Hammy out the other day, and was blown away by how sweet and easy-blowing the high register is. I'd forgotten, and it's been to my detriment! :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

That reminds me that Markus also posted a clip of my favorite version that I've heard of "Fermoy Lassies" on the Seery Delrin here:

http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/Au ... ussell.mp3

Nice work, Markus, and I liked Antti's fiddling too!
~~~~
Barry
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I like these too. The Fairbanks crowd plays the first tune there, the Paddy Fahy's reel in G major. It's been one of my favorites for a year or more. Martin Hayes recorded it as a slow reel, beautifully. Does anyone else play this one? How fast?

Jennie
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

That Hammy does sound great. Just makes me want one even more. I think Danu does that second tune but calles it a different name which I can't remember right now. Great playing.