I dont even know the things I know!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
perrins57
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I dont even know the things I know!

Post by perrins57 »

I have always seen myself as being very un-materialistic. I pitied people who must have the next car, bigger house, better mobile phone etc etc. But I've just come back from a trip to Guyana (S America) and met people with very little, in a country with a real inferiority complex, who were genuinely really happy! And I realised what a mad place the Western world is and how we all are subtly influenced by the preoccupation to accumulate stuff. "If only we have more stuff,” we tell ourselves "then we'll be happy". Stop the madness now before its too late!
Intellectually I knew stuff wasn't all its cracked up to be, but now I've seen it with my own eyes and really believe it.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

This is a nice message.

Thanks,

M
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

It's true. It's difficult not to want at least some stuff when you live in a relatively affluent western culture--but I must frequently remind at least one of my children that all the cool stuff she sees in The Sharper Image catalog will not improve her life.
Jack

Post by Jack »

It is indeed true. For most of my life I lived without running water or a telephone or paved roads (and much of my family still does), and my family only had decent electricity and enough food sometimes, but I STILL got to go go school and I STILL lived better than most people in the world. It's really humbling to see how awful some people got it, yet they remain happy and content and faithful. It makes us realise that we don't got it half as bad as we often think we do.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

The only material objects that can make you happy through their accumulation are whistles. :thumbsup:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
scarhand

Post by scarhand »

getting more stuff means you have to spend more money on things to hold the stuff, and you have pick it up, and worry about if it is safe, or unbroken, or clean, or updated or . . . it's exhausting to have so much stuff!
the brave do not live forever,
but the cautious do not live at all.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Caution: clumsy satire ahead...

Oy vey :o Careful, my friend, it isn't fashionable to be sane.

The capitalists'll have yer guts for garters, you heretic. Of course you need more stuff. Consume, consume, consume.

Good grief, don't you realise that this is a RACE? And anyway, if we don't all grasp and hoard then the very structure of corporate, plastic, greedy, uncaring, bloated, overcomplicated, wasteful society is at risk?

Shame on you for your dangerous, unAmerican, unBritish subversive propagandising.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Darwin wrote:The only material objects that can make you happy through their accumulation are whistles. :thumbsup:
I think even the strictest ascetic would concede that Man needs four whistles and one mandolin in order to live a full existence.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

buddhu wrote: Shame on you for your dangerous, unAmerican, unBritish subversive propagandising.
Thank you, that's the nicest thing anybody has accused me of in ages!
Darwin wrote:The only material objects that can make you happy through their accumulation are whistles. :thumbsup:
And yes, of course I was excluding whistles in my earlier observations, as if they could be categorised as mere stuff!
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Nice thought perrins. A reality check first thing in the morning (with coffee of course) was exactly the thing I needed to start my day. :thumbsup:
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I never knew that you never knew that you never really knew the stuff you never knew! :o
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Stuff seems to have it's own life cycles. My 87 yr old mother has accumulated lots of stuff and has gotten rid of much of it. My siblings and I now complain that she may be tossing things that were icons of our childhood. To her it's just an old cookie tin. To us it might be an indelible childhood memory. She seems determined to get rid of the remaining stuff before she goes. We've suggested that when the time comes, sorting through a parents stuff can be thereputic. She's not buying it. And of course it's her stuff, so it's her choice.

You might notice I've been thinking about stuff lately. I think I've discovered a few stuff principles.

* At some point in your life you'll want stuff you can't afford. At other times, you'll be able to afford that exact same stuff and you won't want it.

* The most cherished stuff and the the mosy valuable stuff are rarely the same stuff.

* For those of us genetically predisposed to collect stuff, getting the stuff is often more satisfying than having the stuff.
djm

Post by djm »

I think you folks may be leaving out a very large piece of the picture - quality of life. I like my stuff. I like accumulating my stuff. I like to have my stuff to hand when there's a question or reference I'm looking for. I like to have that obscure tool when that occasional job comes up that no other tool can do so well. I like having my own premises (poor as it may be) to keep my stuff in.

You may point out others who do not have such stuff and who are perfectly happy without it, but are they really happy, or just ignorant of what is available? Would their lives be enriched if they had access to more stuff? Would they think their lives were enriched if they had access to more stuff?

Don't be so quick to knock stuff. You can live naked in a hole in the ground, but what kind of life would that be? Its easy to bemoan having stuff, but I don't see anyone here rushing out to get rid of their stuff, either. If you decide to go all holy about your stuff, let me know in advance. I may be interested.

And before anyone else can say it, yes, I have already got stuffed. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

How many times can anyone else use the word 'stuff' in a single post? :D

11 times for djm. :P
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Only last weekend I was going through my clothes and trying to decide what to give to charity.

The problem is, in the last decade with a reasonably healthy income and nobody to spend it on except myself, I've managed to accumulate at least 20 of just about everything (shirts, trousers, jackets etc), and as a result almost nothing wears out. If something does wear out, it's because I really liked it and wore it a lot, and then sentimentality stops me from chucking it!

Time to bite the bullet and cut my wardrobe down to size!

(not to mention my video games, DVD and Video collection...)