Mandola for ITM

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Mandola for ITM

Post by buddhu »

I love mandolin, so I am now ready to progress a bit from the starter instrument my beloved wife bought me.

I might get another mandolin a step or two up the ladder from the beginner one I have, OR...

Why can't I get a mandola? (Bear in mind I am typing this after a couple of drinks, so my thinking may not be all that clear...). Surely a mandola will play in C and G and, with a capo at the second fret, in D... so where's the problem?

I strongly suspect I've worked this out wrong... I'm gonna feel stupid in the morning. :D

Edited for typos and oversharing...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
JS

Post by JS »

Before I was led astray by the Irish flute and Casey Burns' website, I was wondering about one of these:

http://www.midmomandolin.com/products_mandolas.php
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

I once spent a merry hour in the Lark in the Morning shop in Seattle playing a Fylde Portuguese mandola. It had 10 strings arranged in four courses, viz. Ccc Ggg dd aa. Amazing instrument -- like playing a lapful of cathedral bells. I don't know how the hell I'd use the thing if I had one, but oh do I want one.
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

I have one of the Mid Missouri mandolas. It is the one getting the most playing time at my house. It's got a reasonable reach and really nice sound. I got mine off ebay but they don't show up there very often at all. I waited about six or seven months before I found this one.

BTW, I have a Troubadour mandola for sale. It got enough play to let me know I wanted to upgrade. Good value for the money. Asking $175 and we can discuss shipping costs.

Contact me via email or PM if you are interested.

jim
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

livethe question wrote:I have one of the Mid Missouri mandolas. It is the one getting the most playing time at my house. It's got a reasonable reach and really nice sound.
Do you play standard tunes on it? If so, how do you play something like "Boys of Bluehill" in D? Do you drop down an octave and play it as though playing in A on the mandolin, play the same as the mandolin (going way up the neck for the high notes), or just play it in G with the same fingering as mandolin in D?
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

I'm just playing solo at home at the moment but on Boys of Bluehill I can play in either G or D. Most of the time I play it in G, fingered like the mandolin in D but it's no big deal playing in D, I just drop down (tone wise) a string and start from there. I hope I've said this right

I'm trying to learn the fretboard on the mandolin and mandola so that I have more choices but I'm not there yet. With the mando family tuned in fifths, I find it really easy to move around in the first position but I'm working to get beyond the limit of first position.

jim d
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Here's the Gibson mandolin and mandola I bought from an old man (a neighbor) who bought them new for he and his wife in about 1922. I use them for celtic music mostly, and for a mandolin ensemble with my cousins--who also have Gibson mandolins and one Gibson mandocello. The mandola gets tuned several different ways, including an open minor tuning for a Russian tune. I've even had it tuned like an octave mandolin (large strings!)

Both came with original hardshell cases.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Lorenzo wrote:Here's the Gibson mandolin and mandola I bought from an old man (a neighbor) who bought them new for he and his wife in about 1922. I use them for celtic music mostly, and for a mandolin ensemble with my cousins--who also have Gibson mandolins and one Gibson mandocello. The mandola gets tuned several different ways, including an open minor tuning for a Russian tune. I've even had it tuned like an octave mandolin (large strings!)

Both came with original hardshell cases.
DOH! Thanks a bunch, Lorenzo. Way to fuel my Mandolin Obsessive Acquisition Disorder.
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

no reason at all why mandola cant fit into ITM. Peadar Browne in Galway plays in sessions all the time with his. lovely mellow sound of it.

go for it i say.
Big Time
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Big Time wrote:no reason at all why mandola cant fit into ITM. Peadar Browne in Galway plays in sessions all the time with his. lovely mellow sound of it.

go for it i say.
Does Mr Brown have it tuned to the normal CGDA, do you know?

I'm in a bit of an agony of indecision here. Whatever I get I'm unlikely to be able to spend more than £250. With that in mind I have to decide between a better mandolin, or a mandola.

So far I've been considering a Michael Kelly A-style mandolin, or maybe a Kentucky KM380s. The other one I've seen is the Trinity College mandola.

I plan to pop down to The Acoustic Music Co in Brighton when the time is right, and have a go on a few things, and to take a bit of advice.
BigDavy

Mandola?

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Buddhu

Hello from a fellow Belgarth fan.

Get the mandola. Then save up for a better mandolin (or an octave mandola - get the set).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Solid-maple-spruc ... dZViewItem

Or how about a bouzouki.
http://search.ebay.co.uk/bouzouki_W0QQb ... sofocusZbs

David
Edited to add urls
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

Hey buddhu,

I'm fairly sure Peadar has it tuned in GDAE like a banjo or a mandolin. actually im sure of it. ive played it and i wouldnt have been able to play it if it was tuned any other way.

if ya can get your hands on one like this, yer sound and its excellent for backing in a session too.
Big Time
Dr Funkenstein

Post by Dr Funkenstein »

I know Donal Siggins, Emer Mayock's accompaniest, plays mandola. When I saw them in Donegal last summer, I think he had his tuned standard mandola tuning, or some close variant (the sounds of his chords were a bit different from the recordings where he plays bouzouki).

I think a good happy medium would be to go for an octave mandolin. If you capo at five, you've got a mandola ;)

--Jeff
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bionn áthas orainn!
http://www.athasmusic.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/athas

éist!
http://cdbaby.com/cd/hullksiazek
Jonathan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

Lorenzo wrote:Here's the Gibson mandolin and mandola I bought from an old man (a neighbor) who bought them new for he and his wife in about 1922.
Wow, I wish I had neighbors like that..
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

buddhu wrote:DOH! Thanks a bunch, Lorenzo. Way to fuel my Mandolin Obsessive Acquisition Disorder.
I know what you mean!

BTW, Andy Irvine plays a mandola along those ballads he sings.