Fiddle Help: Bought a Beginner's one off of Ebay won't play

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
SilverStrand
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Fiddle Help: Bought a Beginner's one off of Ebay won't play

Post by SilverStrand »

I have never touched a string instrument so this hte first time i have handled a violin...have no clue how to get started. I bought it for my sister so she can start learning trad tunes. But it isn't playing at all. Being someone who isn't a master at the string instrument how do you actually make sound. Or do I have a lemon?

Thanks!

~Kerry
"Block out the Sun and Pack up the Sky"
Congratulations

Re: Fiddle Help: Bought a Beginner's one off of Ebay won't p

Post by Congratulations »

Did you put rosin on the bow?

That's about all I know of the instrument.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Well now,

The bridge - that wooden thing that the strings sit on - needs to be in the right place, which is just over the soundpost.There is a soundpost I presume?
It helps if the instrument is in tune.

Posture is very important...keep the left wrist straight..don't have the hand at a 90 degree angle to the arm - big problem there! - and then ofcourse, make sure that the bow has been tightened and resined.
At all times - this bit is important - keep the bow at a 90 degree angle to the strings, preferably halfway between the end of the fingerboard and the bridge.

Take a deep breath and play the open strings, slowly, with a loose wrist.

That's how it starts....

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: Fiddle Help: Bought a Beginner's one off of Ebay won't p

Post by Wanderer »

Congratulations wrote:Did you put rosin on the bow?

That's about all I know of the instrument.
I got a "beginner" fiddle of ebay once...it seemed like I had to rosin the bow forever before I could get a sound out of it...
I'm sure it was just me though ;)
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Anyone know if there is a fiddle site similar to this site?? Well, nothing could match this site for its veracity :lol:
Baglady

Post by Baglady »

Baglady
Put the music under thier feet and lift them to the dance.
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy
Les Cruttenden

nosound.

Post by Les Cruttenden »

Make sure you resin the bow...and that the strings(if there aren't any then thats your problem!) and the strings must be taught enough...not over tight or you will bust them....best get a cheap tuner....and get the bridge in the right place....how do I know all these things....I bought my son one when he was a nipper.Les.
steph_c

a couple things to check

Post by steph_c »

You've not said how much experience your sister has with the instrument.

Physically, you won't get any sound if:

1. Sound post is missing or has fallen down during shipment
2. Strings are slack
3. No rosin on the bow

#1 can be checked by looking in the 'F-holes' - the curvy slots on the top of the instrument. There should be a piece of wood standing perpendicular to the top and bottom of the instrument.

#2 and #3 will be fairly obvious.

I've had a few students have terrific success with some of the beginner models being sold on eBay. I got one for my little nephew for $50 with shipping included - case, bow, rosin and fiddle - and it's obviously not the greatest instrument ever made, but it has acceptable tone and didn't arrive in pieces. The instruments seem to be shipped in different states of assembly. If neither of you knows much about the instrument, take it to your local music shop. Or if you want to do-it-yourself, just google yourself up a schematic so you get some idea of where things should go.

toasty wrote:
Jim Dorans BTW is a ...

A model post, thank you 'toasty'. Not only did you provide the answers the original poster was looking for, but you also managed to do so in an eloquent and charming way. I can hardly wait for your next inspirational missive.

While Mr. Dorans' stylistic interpretations are certainly open to debate, his site will still be a good visual resource to get a general idea of how to hold the thing.

Cheers.
wolvy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by wolvy »

I suspect the most enjoyment you will have out of that fiddle will be to tune it up and put it in the fireplace and watch it burn. It can be fun watching the strings pop. :D

Seriously, most cheapo ebay fiddles are so terrible that you will stunt your learning curve trying to make them work. I suggest you feed your fireplace and go buy a student fiddle from a respectable shop who will offer setup service for it. That way you have a good shot of getting going on it. Otherwise you are starting out in a hole that you might not ever get out of.

It is a similar thing with Pakistani made Uilleann pipe chanters. They actually do more harm than good for a student. (IMHO)
Worldfiddler

Post by Worldfiddler »

...well, 'toasty', considering you don't actually know me or anything about me, and I don't know you, your above comments come as quite a surprise. Even vaguely in the context of the subject of this thread, they do not reflect anything like subjective criticism of my music, playing ability or even my site content. They are nothing more than a nasty, venomous and totally unfounded personal attack on me which amounts to slander, nothing more.

If you felt so strongly about me personally, or about my playing or anything else for that matter, you could easily have contacted me through my site. But instead of doing that, you chose to publish your slanderous remarks on a public forum, whilst hiding under a cloak of anonymity. Quite a spinelss and cowardly act, don't you think?

Leaving aside your ridiculous first few words describing me as a 'poser' and a 'wannabe famous...' - I've no idea why you think that, but calling me a 'dole recipient' is nasty, absurd, and above all, totally untrue. You've really got a thing about the UK welfare system, haven't you? God only knows what must go through your mind. It's *so* fitting that you should have your occupation listed as 'Harmony' in your site profile.

I see from your previous posts that your slander (masquerading as an opinion) is also directed at other fiddle players - Pete Cooper, to name one. Here's the thread title, just in case you've forgotten : http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ht=#421810

That same thread, near the end, also contains statements by you about your fiddle playing ability - for the world to read. Yes, all that after what you said about *my* 'fuddle' skills.

A word of advice for you - please think before you post on a public forum, and stick to things you know at least a little bit about. Try being a bit more
positive about music and musicians, instead of attempting to verbally shred them just because you don't agree with what they play, or how they play it. Go on - one day you'll feel better for it. I know you will.

I'm glad I came across your orignal slanderous post on this forum - at least now I know who's been writing the nasty and venomous comments in my site guestbook. You obviously failed to read the other 30-odd genuine positive comments from other users of my site.

If your intention was to belittle me, then you have failed miserably. Since publishing your remarks, my site traffic has increased greatly, as has the
site's Google rankings.

Jim Dorans
Caj

Post by Caj »

To be honest, for a fiddle I recommend talking to a real live fiddle player in your local vicinity.

Even if you have a no-brainer instrument like a concertina (push button and squeeze,) you as a newbie are not very qualified to gauge its quality or the shape it is in.

For example, I assumed for years that my accordion-reeded concertina had a bland sound owing to its accordion reeds. It wasn't until I took a class that I realized that was my fault.

Caj
madfiddler

Post by madfiddler »

fel bautista wrote:Anyone know if there is a fiddle site similar to this site?? Well, nothing could match this site for its veracity :lol:
or the Fiddle and Atl. strings Forum - http://www.fiddleforum.com

Not a very nice thing to say about Jim, by the way...

mark.
Dale
The Landlord

Re: a couple things to check

Post by Dale »

steph_c wrote:
toasty wrote:
Jim Dorans BTW is a ...

A model post, thank you 'toasty'. Not only did you provide the answers the original poster was looking for, but you also managed to do so in an eloquent and charming way. I can hardly wait for your next inspirational missive.

While Mr. Dorans' stylistic interpretations are certainly open to debate, his site will still be a good visual resource to get a general idea of how to hold the thing.

Cheers.
Moderators deleted the post by toasty referred to above. Thanks.

Dale
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

madfiddler wrote:
fel bautista wrote:Anyone know if there is a fiddle site similar to this site?? Well, nothing could match this site for its veracity :lol:
or the Fiddle and Atl. strings Forum - http://www.fiddleforum.com

Not a very nice thing to say about Jim, by the way...

mark.
ditto
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Sorry. Some clumsy moderating on my part. Given that Jim had a chance to respond to toasty, I probably should have left the original post, for now. I've unlocked this thread but remind member of the expectation that they will avoid personal attacks.