Round embouchure

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

Denny wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:Man you are quick with that submit button! I was in the middle of editing a post and you answered!
He is isn't he...
...and prolific. :wink:

Man, that is cool. The flutes on sale?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I.D.10-t wrote: Selling R&Rs? Hmmmm...
We'll see how things work out.
Jack Bradshaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Unseen122 wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:

Selling R&Rs? Hmmmm...

We'll see how things work out.
Well, if they do I know someone going the other direction (with a nice loud Healy (Pratten style) 6-key...........)

(and how do you get this quote thing to work ?)

Edit: Ahhhh..that's better!
Last edited by Jack Bradshaw on Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Another thing after spending a little more time on my M&E which has a more rectangular/oval embochure I realized that the problem might be the embochure. I still like more power, I am trying to arrange a trade for that Hammy Doc Jones has that will have the power I want :twisted: I wouldn't be able to put in the needed cash for a 6 key, I also might be trading it back to the previous owner for a Hernon as that is oval. Well if it does go on sale I will not be able to put any thing up here because I have used up my one per month so if yous guys have any intrest in it just give me a PM. So I don't really like round holes myself and I like to lean into a Flute.
Last edited by Unseen122 on Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The shape of the embouchure on the Hammy isn't all that different from that of your typical Rudall. When I measured the embouchures on all my flutes (I believe this included the M&E), they all came in about the same except for my Bleazey Rudall, which, believe it or not, was a little bigger. They were all the same length (along the length of the flute, within less than a mm), but the Bleazey was 1-2 mm wider. The specifics of the cut may be, I don't have a good enough eye for that.

If we're talking elliptical/oval vs. modern/rectangular, what I've found is that, yes, you can push the modern cut a little harder, but it's much less versatile and has less depth of character. (My wife, a lifelong Boehm player who's recently taken up simple-system flute, agrees.)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Terry McGee

Re: Round embouchure

Post by Terry McGee »

I.D.10-t wrote:Am I the only one that likes a round embouchure?
”Oh it is too hard, it doesn’t have volume, etc…”
The round embouchure died out in the early 19th century, to be replaced by the elliptical, and not long after (possibly 1832?) the rectangular came along. It finally achieved supremacy in the classical music world, while elliptical remains the norm in the Irish music world and circular in the Early Music world.

I'd be interested in hearing from those who like the circular - what do they enjoy about it? It's tempting to pose some specific questions, but too much danger of leading the witness.

I'd also be interested in hearing how you reached the decision, and what diameter of circular you favour. And undercut or straight-sided?

I'm making a baroque flute with an 8.5mm - 11/32" - circular embouchure - I'm sure you wouldn't get far in Irish music with that!

"Hey you - the guy miming on the fancy chair leg .... outa here. Now!"

Terry
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Naah! They'd think you buggered up a recorder !
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

I've played the baroque flute for years (small circular embouchure), and am just taking up the Irish flute. My baroque flute (Folkers and Powell after Thomas Lot circa 1720) has a very undercut embouchure. When I go back to it now after playing an Irish flute with an elliptical embouchure, the baroque embouchure seems tiny. However, I don't have a difficulty switching back and forth. I find it easier to keep my lips in the same position on the Irish flute (tactile feedback from the larger hole). I started out thinking that I had to use two different embouchures (more relaxed for baroque, tighter for Irish), but find that I am now using a more relaxed embouchure for both, and get the reedy sound I like by turning in the head joint more for the Irish flute, and leaving it lined up with the finger holes for baroque.

My two cents is that it is easier to vary the tone colour with the elliptical embouchure than the circular. This isn't just a matter of there being less room for error with the smaller hole in my opinion, because to play the baroque flute in tune requires a lot of tipping the head/rolling flute joint, which changes the angle of the airstream a lot, without changing the tone colour very much.

Hugh

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

My only experience with circular is the Tipple.
It certainly doesn't want for volume! Great
street flute.

Also there is the sense of being able to 'get a piece'
of the embouchure hole, which I enjoy.

No knowing whether what I'm experiencing
is the circular hole or the other features
of Doug's flutes. So far, anyhow, I have
no complaint with circular embouchure
holes. Good strong interesting tone.

It would be interesting to play a good
conical wooden flute with one.
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

Trust me Jim it changes every thing.
Doc Jones

Re: Round embouchure

Post by Doc Jones »

Terry McGee wrote:I'm making a baroque flute with an 8.5mm - 11/32" - circular embouchure - I'm sure you wouldn't get far in Irish music with that!

"Hey you - the guy miming on the fancy chair leg .... outa here. Now!"

Terry

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I once had an old German flute with a smallish round embouchre. I had Pat Olwell whittle a new hole in it and the change was just phenomenal.

I've lately had a couple of Terry's different headjoints around and been experimenting a bit. It's remarkable how different they are. All great though. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Here is a round Embouchure...

Actually I got it to practice re-padding keys! :boggle:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

In my experience it is good to have at least one round embouchure flute. It is therapeutic and may improve your attack with other embouchures.
The Tipple round embouchure has done wonders for my ability with the elliptical ones on other flutes.

When my embouchure feels not quite right I take respite in a round emb. for five minutes or so and then move back to the other one. Its quite miraculous.

I cannot offer you a technical explanation. Just my experience.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I am not an accomplished player, but I must say that after I received a round embouchure instrument I really started to learn to play. The round embouchure is more difficult and shows mistakes very quickly. It is also more flexible. It allows you to change pitch. I do feel that the rounded rectangular allows you too much room without any benefit other than the ability to be sloppy. With my rectangular embouchure Healy, I hit a brick wall. The Peeler fife helped me go beyond that (yes I realize that their bore size is different).

So maybe the thing is that a round hole is just a teaching instrument, or maybe it is something that only a good player can play.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I like the embouchure on my lehart which is sort of diamond shaped. I have played other flutes by him that don't respond in the same way. Also I noticed only recently that when I play this flute the stream of condensation is in a definate right-ward pattern as if I;m playing the flute to the right too much. different than any other flute.