Where of where can my piccolo be??

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gaaslaj
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

Where of where can my piccolo be??

Post by Gaaslaj »

I'm looking for a good simple system piccolo in D (sometimes they call it C). Can anyone tell me of a good maker? Thanks! John.
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

I really like my Sweetheart D rosewood. I think it's called a folk fife but has the same fingering & tuning as a D whistle.
Gaaslaj
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

Folk Fife

Post by Gaaslaj »

Is it easy to play? How loud in a session? I'll look into it, thanks! J.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I had a Sweetheart folk fife (in D) a couple years ago. It was a very nicely made instrument and played very well. It's plenty loud...in fact, too loud (and high) for my tastes, which is why I no longer have it.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I played the new Sweet Pro Model Piccolo and it was pretty good, if I was int he market for a Piccolo that is probably what I would get but I am not.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Second, it's a nice D fife at a good price.
No problem about cutting through in a session,
with some control I think it's possible to play
softly.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I could play up to a high A the first time I played it compared to the other Piccolos I have tried that is rare. Took a minute before I could get the B.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

[/rant]
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Where of where can my piccolo be??

Post by kkrell »

Gaaslaj wrote:I'm looking for a good simple system piccolo in D (sometimes they call it C). Can anyone tell me of a good maker? Thanks! John.
Hammy Hamilton, http://www.hamiltonflutes.com/ makes 'em.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

I should chime in to say I've started making piccolos again after a several years gap (getting my waiting list under better control). Unusual features (as fas as I know) being a choice of bore diameter between classical and Irish and choice of "New Improved Tuning Slide" or "Minimum Disruption Tenon".

See:http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/piccolos.html.

Terry
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Without knowing your price range I must say…
I play a discontinued Sweet. I really like it.

From what I know, Mr. Hamilton, Mr. Sweet, Mr. Healy, and Mr. McGee would not produce a "piccolo" that they wouldn’t play themselves (I hope). But they are different instruments (especially the Healy).
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Gaaslaj

Older pics??

Post by Gaaslaj »

Actually, I was interested in the older pics, like Cloos or a German model. Has anyone played those? Thanks, J.
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

Terry McGee will make them, complete with cork-lined tuning slide, your choice of embouchure, and the body/hole size optimized for Irish music.

The best money I've spent recently.

Comments from the band are, though it definitely is a piccolo, it looks, feels, plays (okay, my comment), and sounds much more like a little wooden flute.
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com
Tjones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tjones »

"Actually, I was interested in the older pics, like Cloos or a German model. Has anyone played those? Thanks, J"

I have a Cloos fife in Bb that was given to me. For many years I never touched it. When I picked it up and started to play I found I really enjoyed that it was keyless, and it was fun to play. It's what got me into Irish music. My wife prefers the lower tones, so it was easy to talk her into a flute in D.

Tjones
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

Terry McGee wrote:I should chime in to say I've started making piccolos again after a several years gap (getting my waiting list under better control). Unusual features (as fas as I know) being a choice of bore diameter between classical and Irish and choice of "New Improved Tuning Slide" or "Minimum Disruption Tenon".

See:http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/piccolos.html.

Terry
Hey!
There's my red ivorywood piccolo for the world to see!
(I feel special)
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com