The ways people use to carry a low whistle around...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Caoimhin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Caoimhin »

No, its not a popquiz. And no it isn't a listing.

Alright now, tell me. Or at least tell the other readers.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I use a low whistle bag for my Dixon D, soft grey padded vinyl, available through Hobgoblin.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Pool cue cases work great...
Cheers.
Byll
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

There've been a number of threads on cases, so that might be worth a look. Loren had mentioned a flute quiver from the Oregon Flute Store (www.oregonflutestore.com), the Crow, which is their "economy" model. I have one, and it's an excellent case for the money - certainly worth a look. It easily holds my lowest whistles (down to my low C)with room for quite a few in there. I like it so much that eventually I'll work up to one of the larger cases for gigs where I need to take many whistles. Worth a look...

Cal
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler
nickt

Post by nickt »

Martin - me too, though I add a plastic plumbing tube inside it for the metal whistles, and a cardboard tube for the wooden ones (because of the oil).
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

PVC plumbing pipe, with a wooden 'bung' fixed at one end. Bubble wrap placed in the bottom.

Cap for pipe made from slightly bigger pvc pipe - use duct tape around main tube to make a tight-ish fit.
Cap length = tube dia x 2.
Bubble wrap against cap bung.
Pop in low D, fit cap.
Definitely 'kid proof':lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Easily_Deluded_Fool on 2002-07-05 14:56 ]</font>
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

The Burke D goes in the sleeve that I got at Shannaquay, the Kerry and Cook go in the right and left legs of a pair of wool tights. Whichever is coming with me then gets tucked in the ergonomic shoulderbag with all the other whistles.

I checked out the cutlery rolls at Victorinox, but you don't get much bang for the buck there. A friend looked at the issue as a personal challenge, and wants to make 'the perfect whistle roll'. I'm going to ask for the perfect dulcimer carrying bag first.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
drdagmar

Post by drdagmar »

Overton Low D comes with a bag, actually a very good one...before that I owned a Chieftain Whistle for which I knitted a kind of bag. My boyfriend kept saying it looked very weird...nothing to talk about to children :smile:, anyway, it worked. But I am still looking for a proper handbag, so I can take all my whistles with me :smile:
Dagmar
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Cal,

I actually don't use the Crow any more, I have my own professional Whistle Caddy now, stole him from Tiger Woods in fact. "What do you think Chevy? I'm gussing I'll need a Bb to make it through the next jig set...."

Seriously though, if you need to carry a ton of whistles, or whistles longer than Low D, the Crow is a great deal. OTH, Colin Goldie has these awesome custom made whistle cases that he and Brigitte sell, they are by far the best thing out there - hands down. Go to the Overton site if you'd like to check them out, I think they have a photo.

Loren
Steve Pribyl

Post by Steve Pribyl »

I have one of the low d whistle hard cases from Colin and Brigitte's site, mentioned by Loren. It is excellent. Well worth the money. The case is very substantial, and is much nicer than you can see in the photos. Shipping to California took less than a week.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I just found this link...
http://www.tukicovers.com/
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

You should get a violin case. That way, you'd get all sorts of respect from musicians and non-musicians alike who don't know you can't play a fiddle but know that they're very hard to play. You'd get even more respect from those who know to what other use a violin case was traditionally put.

Seriously, though, Brigitte and Colin provided a really nice padded case for my Overton low D that really doesn't require any other protection.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Just don't carry the violin case into a crowded Italian restaruant or folks might scatter.