fatigue (update, again)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I've had a long day.

The thyroid ultrasound they took last week showed many small solid masses, likely to be tumors, and some tyroid cysts too thrown in for good measure. Apparently my thyroid gland is way messed up in a lot of ways, and there's a "good" chance that it's spread to my lymph nodes or even my bones.

I was preparing myself to hear that there was a tumor or "just" a cyst, but certainly not many of both and all the other crap.

I go Friday to have a fine-needle aspiration (FNA) biopsy to see what kind of cancer it is, if it's cancer at all (though the way other tests have gone, it almost certainly is).

Thyroid cancer is almost always curable, especially in somebody my age, but I will have to leave college to get the throat surgeries, radioactive iodine treatments, and other treatments because it takes at least a few months or into a year or longer and there's no way I could keep a full class and work schedule and receive cancer treatment at the same time.

I'm not sure where I'll go. If I go to West Virginia, the doctor I have to see would be nearly 4 hours away, and my family doesn't have a car.

If I could somehow stay in Berea for treatment, I would be able to get better treatment but nobody wants to let a random sick person live with them while he gets cancer treatment and can't work to pay off his stay.

I feel really awful. I never knew a person could feel this bad.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Cran, that so totally stinks. I was counting on you just being overly stressed. You undoubtedly will have the prayers, thoughts, and good vibes (or whatever folks want to call them,) of the Chiff community.
Jack

Post by Jack »

emmline wrote:Cran, that so totally stinks.
I know.

I've been reading and looking up the FNA biopsy procedure for the last few hours. It's apparently a lot more "involved" than I was lead to believe, and requires you to stay in the hospital or doctor's office for three to five hours afterward so you can be monitored and causes bruising and pain afterwards.

This is what they're going to do to me:

They basically numb your neck, poke around with needles until they hit the masses just right, then suck some cells out to be tested. This avoids "open" surgery, but I think I would rather have conventional surgery because I could be asleep.

And I won't even have any family or friends there with me when I'm having it done, or afterwards. I'm having a random collegium person from the college to drive me to the appointment at 10:00 Friday. I feel so lonely.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Jeez, Cran, this is not the kind of news I was hoping for.

Can you talk to the college and see if they have an apartment or room in a co-op that you could use during your treatments, even in junior/senior housing (or even stay in your current room)? I would not be at all surprised if they can manage to find housing for you, especially if there is an affiliated health center nearby. Remember that Berea is an institution that prides itself on helping its students succeed, and you might be surprised at their generosity. Let them know your family situation and that you have no support in your recovery. Also, tell the campus minister about your situation. That person may have resources that could be really helpful for you.

Certainly you've already found these guys:
Berea Friends Meeting (Quaker) - AMERC, 300 Harrison Rd, (4 blocks from campus), P.O. Box 531, 986-9256 (Carol Lamm, clerk)

I know it's hard, but try not to get too worried about the needle biopsy. Ask if you can have a tranquilizer; even a mild sedative could calm you down a lot for the procedure.

You are not alone, by the way. There are always people here who will lend their moral support, just keep talking.

Robin
Jack

Post by Jack »

Yes, I know them. :)

I'm working through a friend to see if I can't find housing with somebody in or around Berea, but even then I still come up with the issue of how I would pay for it when I'm down and sick, and how I would get to the doctor's office.

I have meetings set up with people from Academics, Labor, and Housing, as well as my personal advisor and my counselor, plus I've already had phone calls with people from Academics and Labor, but I've been told multiple times that if I take a medical leave of absence, there's no way I can stay on campus, because that's the point of a medical leave of absence: a leave.

Built into the medical leave of absence is the assumption that the person leaving has somewhere to go, and I don't really.

I'll have to find somewhere off campus to stay, or stay on campus and keep a full schedule and go through treatment at the same time, which is impossible.
spittin_in_the_wind wrote:There are always people here who will lend their moral support, just keep talking.
I've feared lately I should just shut up, so thank you for saying that.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Cran, call the American Cancer Society and inquire about their Hope Lodge program. There is one being built in Lexington, KY, but I don't know if it is completed yet. (1-800-ACS-2345) If not, they may be able to give you information on lodging in your area. If you don't have to stay in Kentucky, there are Hope Lodges all over the U.S. and in the general vicinity (Pennsylvania, Ohio, Tennessee...)
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/SHR/conte ... _Lodge.asp

Robin
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Cran: So Sorry to hear of your plight.
I have the hope that things will work out for you.
I'll be thinking of you.

I had a cyst removed from my thyroid a few years back. My boss did it during a slack time at our office. I jumped on the procedure table, he numbed up my skin, it took about 30 seconds, then I jumped off the table and we all went back to work. It was just like your pictures.
You'll make it.

Mary
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Oh Cran.

I was hoping it would be something they could just give you medicine for, not this.

You poor guy.

Hugs.
Charlene
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hi Cran,

I've had a fine needle aspiration, it looks and sounds yucky but it's really not that bad, and over quickly.

Do try the resources people have suggested. We're all rooting for you, and definitely don't go quiet on us - we want you to keep talking.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Cran, sorry things aren't working out so brilliantly at the moment :(

As you point out, there are still more tests to do before you know exactly what your medical situation is, but I think the thing to focus on is how very treatable thyroid disorders are. I did a quick Google, and what people have said here is true, successful treatment seems to be an overwhelming trend in the material I saw :)
cranberry wrote:I've feared lately I should just shut up, so thank you for saying that.
Please don't shut up. I appreciate the moderators' concern about 'oversharing' and their consideration for all users of these boards, but personally I ask them to let your need to talk and the spirit of community concern be the overriding considerations here. :-?

In a community whose depth I am only just starting to appreciate, I think this thread is completely approriate and I hope you are allowed to continue sharing as you feel you need to.

I wish I had some more fingers to cross for you...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:...
I had a cyst removed from my thyroid a few years back. My boss did it during a slack time at our office. ...
Oy! :o Er, please tell me that you DO work in a medical environment...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Keeping you in my thoughts mate. Best of luck.

M
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Don't worry Cran, it'll be a quick procedure, not half as bad as it looks.
my fingers are crossed for ya bud.
missy

Post by missy »

dang it, Cran - I have to go to Chicago on Thursday, and won't be back until Saturday at the earliest. If I was in town, I'd take vacation and come down and take you for your appointment, seriously.......

I also am starting a new position on Monday, so I'm not sure how much time I can take off, but if there is ANYTHING I can do, please, PLEASE let me know. Add a "k" to my name - and "at" fuse.net and email me.

Again - I'll be out of town, but if you want me to check out some stuff around Cincinnati, just give a yell. A good starting spot is cincinnati.com. I'd offer you a place in our house, but we're just not set up to give you peace and quiet, which you'll need for recovery. But I'm willing to do anything I can. PLEASE let me know.......

And, keeping you in thoughts and prayers, of course.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

buddhu wrote:
Whistlin'Dixie wrote:...
I had a cyst removed from my thyroid a few years back. My boss did it during a slack time at our office. ...
Oy! :o Er, please tell me that you DO work in a medical environment...
please reference my profile.

M :)