Who Do You Consider the Your Favorite Piper and Why?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
uilleannfinlander
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by uilleannfinlander »

Vote for Fred Morrison too. and Diarmaid Moynihan , Leonard Barry,Declan Masterson.P Keenan.
Birl

Post by Birl »

John McSherry
May the "Nyyaaa" be with you !
Andreas Leidenfrost

Post by Andreas Leidenfrost »

I'm astounded that no one has mentioned Paddy Maloney! :o
He is one of my favorite, for it is simply amazin how he can use his pipes to creat so many moods. Another favorite is Brian McNamara.

Andreas
Bíonn dhá insint ar scéal agus dhá leagan déag ar amhrán
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

i'm sure i've the spelling of this lads name wrong but heard an italian piper called marco polo or marco polio or something like that 2 years ago doing a concert in ennis, co. clare.

he was absolutely incredible. haven't heard of him since. he may have recorded a cd with some of the ennis heads, memory's a bit vague.

one of my fav pipers is probably mikie smyth. he's technically amazing and reg work especially is fantastic. great craic too. must drop down to limerick soon to run into him.
Big Time
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

My current favorite is still Johnny Doran. Listening to Patsy Touhey recently, too.

J.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I am just a lowly fluter but I love listening to Leo Rowsome. I like his reg work, which turns some people off. You hea similar things in David's (Our budding Broadway star) playing.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

My favorite piper: Pär Kristoffersson

Reason: He has a big heart and takes the time to share his knowledge.
:D

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Jan Erik wrote:My "fave" is William Fung.
It's William Hung, a civil engineering student from Cal Berkeley

Go Bears!!!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Hi KD, I don't have a favorite yet, so don't count me in that survey. My favorite seems to be whomever I just got done listening to at this point. I will just mention two people who have been recommended to me that haven't been mentioned so far---Leo Rickard and Tommy Keane. I am still waiting for their CD's, so I haven't listened to them yet. But I believe they are pipers we should listen to for our education.

Wormdiet, I have really enjoyed listening to Leo Rowsome too.

Oh, one general question. Looking back through the forum pages and also googling has led me to believe that there is currently nothing available by Tommy Reck. I know there are some things in compilations, but I was thinking specifically of A Stone in the Field (hope I got that right). Does anyone know any different?
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

As far as overall piping, Fred Morrison is pretty amazing though Simon McKerrell and Rory Campbell are hot on his heels in the multi-pipe virtuosity game.

From a non-uilleann piper, I'm starting to appreciate the older players. I've got a CD with tracks from Tuohey's 78s which I like and Seamus Ennis is quite good too. Today's contemporaries are fine. Cillian Vallely's "Wounded Hussar" at the last Lúnasa concert was phenomenal. But it's a different game with the old guys and the contemporaries. It's like comparing John Lee Hooker or Robert Johnson to Eric Clapton or Jimmy Page.

Cheers,
Aaron
glinjack

Post by glinjack »

Without any doubt it is Paddy Keenan, and of coarse a choice of earlier pipers
it would be Johnny Doran.
lundblad

Post by lundblad »

I must go for Finbar Furey...he's the damn person that made me love the sound of the uilleann pipes. First time I heard his rendition of "a piper in the meadow strayed" I was totally in love. Still love that tune the way he plays it. His regulator work is awsome too....
Wish I could say the same about me...hehe
ROb
Uilleann Piper from beyond!!!
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

To start off, Paddy Maloney and Liam O'Flynn. I grew up listening to these guys back in the 60’s. I guess I don’t recall all I listened to but my dad used to take my brother and I to hear the various trad. Irish music bands.

Mickie Smith is amazing, between his grace notes and his reg playing he is phenomenal.

To narrow it down to a few Paddy Keenan, Brian MacNamara, Mick O'Brien, Willie Clancy, Jimmy O’Brien Moran (and a real character), and that Ennis fellow is pretty good.

There are many styles of playing and types of music that these pipers like to play that make it difficult to narrow it down and more.

P.S. is Fred Morrison any relation to Van Morrison?

There are a few lads here I will need to check into.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Robbie Hannan always wakes me up and moves me to the edge of the seat. Brian McNamara gives me the clearest definition of great ornamentation and I love the way he slows the tunes down. Liam O'Flynn does it for me too and Mick O'Brien is soooo smooth.
Rick

Post by Rick »

In no particular order:

Pat Broderick
Paddy Keenan
Johnny Doran
Felix Doran
Ronan Browne
Neillidh Mulligan

All because they master the instrument to a point where they can feck around on it when they like, and they do! :D

special mention:
David Power!
I hadn't heard anything from him till someone posted a link to some ram files.
Very impressing indeed!