D5 copper whistle from a repair coupler--FINISHED

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
S.B.O'Gill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

D5 copper whistle from a repair coupler--FINISHED

Post by S.B.O'Gill »

I went out to Lowes today with my brother so he could buy some supplies to install a new mailbox. Of course, I had to go browse the plumbing isles! Hah hah hah! I found this little piece of pipe for only $2. It is called a 1/2" X 12" repair coupler--just about the right size for a high D whistle! This piece of tubing is supposed to be able to slip over standard 1/2" pipe, so the internal diameter (bore) slightly bigger than regular 1/2" pipe. No worries here. I'm just going to put in .625 in TWCalc and let it rip! I already have the thing choped to length and I'm dead on the money in tune with it. I'm waiting for my cordless drill to charge up so I can put some holes in it! Heh heh heh! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Last edited by S.B.O'Gill on Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Ya know SB, you are one sick puppy...and creative. :wink:

Nice touch leaving the UPC sticker on.
S.B.O'Gill

Post by S.B.O'Gill »

Ya know SB, you are one sick puppy...and creative.
Yeah I can't help it. I size up everything I see now for its whistle making potential. I have some old seamless aluminum tubing off of a junk TV antenna that I have been eyeing. I tucked it back years ago with intentions of making homemade blow-guns! Hah hah hah!

Nice touch leaving the UPC sticker on.
Yeah, I’m going to steel wool the whole thing with a SOS pad before I’m finished. Man, SOS pads shine up copper like magic. Hopefully it’ll get that freaking sticker off!
lochin

Post by lochin »

S.B.O'Gill wrote: Man, SOS pads shine up copper like magic. Hopefully it’ll get that freaking sticker off!
Nice work. You can use a hair dryer to soften the adhesive and peel of the sticker, if there's any residue left lighter petrol should remove it.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Propane torch will burn off the sticker as well and it's more fun! :o
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
S.B.O'Gill

Post by S.B.O'Gill »

Here she is all drilled out and in tune. I just need to give her a good deburring and a shine all over. I really boogered up the area beside the 4th hole when my drill slipped! ARG! I'm going to run out to Wal-Mart tonight and get me some extra fine sand paper (like maybe 400 or 600 grit) and try to get that out. Then I'll give her a good steel wooling all over. She sounds really pretty--like some commercial whistles I've heard. Oh yeah, I don't like the way her 3rd and 4th holes came out so close. I wish I would have noticed that ahead of time and I would have made the 4th hole a little larger and farther down the bore. It isn't a problem though--as they are not so close that it interferes with my fingers. Oh well, I think she has some character! :-)

Image[/list]
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Keep at it.
S.B.O'Gill

Post by S.B.O'Gill »

Here she is all finished and looking like new money. I couldn't get all the scratch out though. I still like the way she turned out.

IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I am jealous of you being able to do all of this. I want my garage....... NOW!!! :x

But we have just started the plans and still have to get all the permits. Maybe by Christmas??? :P
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Really looks nice, SB!

Pretty soon we'll be seeing these O'Gills up for sale ..... but you have to arrange a tour first. :wink:

Judy
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

One pretty whistle, dude. Keep up the great work! :D
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Great looking job! :)
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
talimirr743

Post by talimirr743 »

I am so jealous :swear: ! ONo really though thats a nice job!
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Wow! You really banged a nice square shape out of that round coupler!
What did you use as a fipple block? It's a bit hard to tell on my screen...
And what's the width of the windway? At first I thought it looked tiny relative
to the whistle's width, but I think that might be an illusion caused by the
curve of the window (which looks nice, BTW).
S.B.O'Gill

Post by S.B.O'Gill »

Thanks for your questions...
Wow! You really banged a nice square shape out of that round coupler!
I pounded the end square with a claw hammer on the floor of my deck. I just eyeballed it. I guess I did get it pretty square.
What did you use as a fipple block?
The flipple block is made from a piece of whittled out pine wood. To be exact, it was a piece that I split off a 2 X 4. I first started with a piece of hardwood dowl, but that was too hard to carve with my pocket knife.
And what's the width of the windway? At first I thought it looked tiny relative to the whistle's width, but I think that might be an illusion caused by the curve of the window (which looks nice, BTW).
The window measures about 1/4" X 5/16". I made it by drilling strait down into the squared off top of the whistle about 3/4" from the end. I used a 3/16th bit. Once I drilled through, I rocked the bit side-to-side to spread out the hole. It made an oval shaped hole. Then I filed the lip and made it flat so the whole window looked like it was in the shape of a 'D'. I also put about a 45 degree bevel on the lip. Last of all, I bent it down slightly (maybe 1/16th") by tapping on it with a hammer and a small piece of dowel (used like a hammer & chisel).

I wish I would have made step-by-step photographs.