The whistles are taking over the bus!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

The whistles are taking over the bus!

Post by Jerry Freeman »

One of my friends to whom I had sent whistles in Iraq (made from parts leftover from making tweaked Mellow Dogs), and who happens to be local, came home from duty a few weeks ago.

Shortly thereafter, Irina (eighth grade) told me that her friend on the bus (the returning soldier's daughter) had one of my C whistles and it was like, awesome cool and could she like, have one?

Then the next day, she told me three more of her friends on the bus wanted them, and I gave them to her.

And today, maybe two weeks later, she came back for three more.

They're teaching each other tunes. It's completely spontaneous among the children with no adult organization whatever, and it's about as cool as anything I've encountered.

I received a pre-plastic Generation Eb whistle recently. I got home with it, sat down at my desk and started playing Amazing Grace, which isn't one of the tunes I usually play. After a short time, Irina arrived at my side, almost with a thud, as though propelled by a bungee cord, with an expression of intense interest.

"What?" I asked.

"WHAT'S THAT SONG?!?!?" She demanded.

"It's Amazing Grace."

"I want to learn it!"

So we spent the next hour or so getting the sheet music, words and story for Amazing Grace, and she learned to play it.

Now I keep hearing Amazing Grace coming from other parts of the house, and I must say, it gives me a thrill every time. I've always been deeply affected by that song, and all the more so when it's being played spontaneously by a child.

Magic.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
fearfaoin

Re: The whistles are taking over the bus!

Post by fearfaoin »

Jerry Freeman wrote:They're teaching each other tunes. It's completely spontaneous among the children...
That is absolutely terrific! Best thing I've heard all day. Maybe today's youth isn't all lost.
Jerry Freeman wrote:I received a pre-plastic Generation Eb whistle recently.
I was not aware of any pre-plastic Generations. What does it look like?
Is it one-piece metal, like a Clarke original, but cylindrical?
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Poured lead fipple plug, like the old "In Tune" Barnett Samuel, et al. whistles, and like the old, extinct Hohner whistles, except the Hohner whistles had a different, harder metal for the fipple plug.

The plastic mouthpieces were introduced in the late forties or early fifties, shortly after injection molded plastic began to be widely used.

Best wishes,
Jerry
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Wow, nifty! Thanks for the info.
It's interesting that plastic fipples have been around so long.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Jerry Freeman wrote: "I want to learn it!"

So we spent the next hour or so getting the sheet music, words and story for Amazing Grace, and she learned to play it.
It doesn't get any better than that! :D

Congrats,
Denny
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Jerry Freeman wrote:One of my friends to whom I had sent whistles in Iraq (made from parts leftover from making tweaked Mellow Dogs), and who happens to be local, came home from duty a few weeks ago.

Shortly thereafter, Irina (eighth grade) told me that her friend on the bus (the returning soldier's daughter) had one of my C whistles and it was like, awesome cool and could she like, have one?

Then the next day, she told me three more of her friends on the bus wanted them, and I gave them to her.

And today, maybe two weeks later, she came back for three more.

They're teaching each other tunes. It's completely spontaneous among the children with no adult organization whatever, and it's about as cool as anything I've encountered.

I received a pre-plastic Generation Eb whistle recently. I got home with it, sat down at my desk and started playing Amazing Grace, which isn't one of the tunes I usually play. After a few minutes, Irina arrived at my side, almost with a thud, as though propelled by a bungee cord, with an expression of intense interest.

"What?" I asked.

"WHAT'S THAT SONG?!?!?" She demanded.

"It's Amazing Grace."

"I want to learn it!"

Now I keep hearing Amazing Grace coming from other parts of the house, and I must say, it gives me a thrill every time. I've always been deeply affected by that song, and all the more so when it's being played spontaneously by a child.

Magic.

Best wishes,
Jerry
beautiful.
thanks. :)
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Quote of the day:

I was just now showing Irina this thread. As she was reading it, I trimmed my fingernails with a pair of scissors. As I trimmed the nails of my right hand she asked, "Are you left handed?"

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

fearfaoin wrote:Wow, nifty! Thanks for the info.
It's interesting that plastic fipples have been around so long.
I may be guessing late forties or early fifties; I think I got that date range from some logical source, but I can't remember, so it's possible they're later than that. Can anyone help pin that down better?

Best wishes,
Jerry
talimirr743
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by talimirr743 »

Thats really awsome! Now maybe some kids might learn something about their own rich heritage!
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

How Awesome is that?!!! Thanks for sharing this nice experience with us Jerry. I wonder what the bus driver is thinking? :wink:

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

The other day I put on an Altan CD (Local Ground) while I was cooking in the kitchen. My three year-old daughter started lilting along with the Irish (language) words of track one, then dancing to track two (Tommy Peoples et. al.). She was really getting into the CD, so I asked her, "Which band do you like more, Altan or the Tannahill weavers?"

She eventually answered the Tannahill Weavers, but she had to think about it for a while. I was just glad that she had such good taste in music that she could consider the matter carefully. :D
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Great story , Jerry ! Thanks for sharing it with us. I've got to give Irina credit for good taste. Amazing Grace has always been my favorite too !

Have a Great Day and Fun Whistling !!
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

That is pretty cool.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Jerry Freeman wrote:So we spent the next hour or so getting the sheet music, words and story for Amazing Grace, and she learned to play it.

Magic.
Pure magic!

Thanks for the story, Jerry! It's wonderful.

Judy