D Daye Drones

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bwilson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bwilson »

OK, for once I'm going to stick up for Brian!

I've defended David Daye and the penny chanter before, but this time around, I thought that Brian's comments were very fair. He wrote only about his personal experience and merely encouraged the prospective buyer to do his homework.

Joseph, please don't cut off discussions like this, as long as they're following the rules of the forum. If people are going to be allowed to make statements like "David Daye's customer service is excellent", then it's important for people with different experiences to be able to speak up and give some balance to the discussion. I've personally had both really great service and really bad service from DD, so I'm quite convinced that both are possible.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

If I remember correctly, Reepicheep is a large talking rat from the Narnia books, by C.S. Lewis.
Reepicheep
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Reepicheep »

Read C.S. Lewis's "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" and all will become clear.

And FTR, Reepicheep was a mouse not a rat... and a swashbuckling mouse at that.

Peace!
Reepicheep
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Oh right, a mouse, sorry. It's been a while.
djm

Post by djm »

Arrrr! Swash me buckle, ye swabs. Arrrr! Keel-haul the mice and hang the rats! Ya-harr, feck, ya-harr!

Daffy Daffy Jonezz
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
indestructibleman

Post by indestructibleman »

i fear djm has become unstuck in time and is slipping to about two weeks ago.
-will

"strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras."
RomanPiper

Post by RomanPiper »

What about this-'un:

"Where sky and waters meet. Where the waves grow swee-ee-eet. Doubt not Reepicheep, to find all you seek. There is the utter east."

I hope you are ready for the 2 major upcoming Motion Picture releases!

"Cheep"!
Hail Caesar!
Reepicheep

Post by Reepicheep »

I've been ready for nearly 30 years!
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I heard Davids Prototype drone set, and they were spectacular. I think Davids approach to the concert drone is far more complicated than anyone wants to give him credit for.

These things are _not_ the standard straight-tube psuedo smallpipe drones that I have seen floating around. They are pretty complex, and probably not easy to make. David made a conscious decision to sacrafice aesthetics for acoustic quality and affordability.

And he's not exactly getting rich from it. His only goal seems to be to get decent instruments out to people. I've heard far-worse sounding drones that cost 3 times more. There are a lot of terrible drones out there. Davids approach is refreshing, and, from what I've heard in his drones, spot on.

I dont know about customer service, I've only ever had the very best treatment from him. For the price, its amazing he can afford to give any service at all. He probably cant.
pipesergeant

Post by pipesergeant »

I spoke with Dave on the phone for about two hours the other night. It was probably 8:30pm when I called. He went out of his way to talk to me and answer all my newbie questions....I was very impressed with the man. I'm sorry some others have had problems in the past with him. I always try to remember that we're all human and we all have our bad days...and sometimes certain people just rub us the wrong way. Not trying to make excuses for Dave or anyone else, just pointing out some facts about being human. :)

Shawn
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I've already said this numerous times, but his chanters sound really nice for the materials they are made of. But we all know that the majority of any chanter's tone is the direct result of its reed.

From what I understand (I have never spoken with the man, but rather friends and other customers of his) he is quite a nice fellow and quite happy to please. FWIW.
Doogie

Post by Doogie »

Reepicheep wrote:
Brian Lee wrote:
myrddinemrys wrote: For the record, David Daye's customer service is excellent.
Not for everyone. That's a broad assumption from a singular point of view.
The customer service I have received from David Daye has also been top notch...

Isn't it time to let it go Brian?
David Daye really does have excellent customer service, and is a super nice guy. ....
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

The pipes I have are of Daye's making and I'm quite pleased with them. I can't speak as to the drones per se because I don't feel myself to be at a level that I should be turning them on just yet. (I talked to him in my last call about producing regulators. It doesn't look like that'll happen any time soon. Pity.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Reepicheep

Post by Reepicheep »

FWIW, since my original post I ordered and received a stand of DD's drones and I am very pleased with them and DD's customer service. I had no problems tying the stock into my existing bag and the included instruction manual has answered all of my questions.

... now if my playing ability could only live up to them!

I am anxiously awaiting the debut of his traditional wood sets.
liraman

Order again please

Post by liraman »

This topic turned from a simple question about DD drone quality to pro's an con's of DD as a person and back again. I can understand why the moderator wanted the discussion on the right keel again at one point:
there is something unhealthy in public discussing the personal qualities of someone who may not be aware of this thread and therefore stands defenceless.
BUT, customer service in the UP world is an issue, isnt it: You only have to browse these forums to understand that. Waiting, i e failing delivery dates, seems to be one topic, low to non existant interest for the customer as soon he/she has paid for the pipes another. I'm sure there is more.

Maybe we should find a way to discuss this w i t h o u t name dropping. What would we like to see in the UP world regarding the relation between makers and buyers? Excellent beautiful instruments of course, at reasonable prices, but what can we - in general terms - demand in terms of customer support?