D Daye Drones

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Reepicheep
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

D Daye Drones

Post by Reepicheep »

Anyone here have a stand of David Daye's drones? Just curious what owners think about them (tone, construction...etc...)

Peace!
Reepicheep
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: D Daye Drones

Post by ausdag »

Reepicheep wrote:Anyone here have a stand of David Daye's drones?
Joseph E Smith may have a stand growing nearby his stand of Sweet Floreda Cane :D

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Joseph E. Smith

Re: D Daye Drones

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

ausdag wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:Anyone here have a stand of David Daye's drones?
Joseph E Smith may have a stand growing nearby his stand of Sweet Floreda Cane :D

Cheers,

DavidG
Nope, harvested 'em and made a really keen water gun out of 'em. :wink:
morgan

Post by morgan »

There are sound clips on his website:

www.daye1.com

To my ear they sound like fine drones.

I am getting a starter set in a few weeks from him, but have no personal experience with the drones.
pat coyne

d daye drones

Post by pat coyne »

I bought the first set of david daye drones in march of 2005
without a doubt they are the finest sounding drones anywhere.
Easy to tie into your bag and then tune up should take no longer than 45 minutes. They are easy to adjust and stay in tune well.The have the same if not better sound than many of the more expensive drones out there on the market.Being made of delrin and brass they are not affected by humidity or tempreture.If dave starts to build regulators I,ll be first in line.
I also have a eugene lamb set but I always use dayes drones with eugenes chanter. Daves chanters are great also.I hope this sheds some light on the subjact
patrick coyne
Uilliam

Re: d daye drones

Post by Uilliam »

[quote="pat coyne"]
without a doubt they are the finest sounding drones anywhere.
quote]

Bit o a sweeping statement don't ye think ?and sounds more emotional than factual.....I don't believe for one moment that ye have tried all drones with which to compare :really:
Slán Agat
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Andreas Leidenfrost

Post by Andreas Leidenfrost »

Luke Niewsma has a half set of D Daye's. I'm also planning on getting some pretty soon.
Bíonn dhá insint ar scéal agus dhá leagan déag ar amhrán
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

It's certainly not the plastic that he uses for the bore that adds any stability to their tone whatsoever. And there are a multitude of makers and players who use synthetic reeds in their drones. While it's true they tend to be more humidity stable on the general whole than a cane reed might be, to say that they are the best is completely subjective. In my own direct and personal; experience, I found Days workmanship to be average at best, and his customer service to be appalling.

There are some very sweet drones being made out there bu many of the better makers. Do some homework on their costs and lead times etc. if you're serious about a good addition to your set. Knowledge is power. Any pipers near you that you can drive to meet and see/hear/play their sets from other makers? You'll likely be supprised and amazed.

Cheers
Kerryman

Post by Kerryman »

I have had a set of D.Daye drones for about 6 months. I am very pleased with them. They sound very good and are quite reliable. I had them at the East Coast Tionol this weekend and they got several compliments. One professional piper who inspected them was quite impressed with their sound and quality.
Assembling and installing them only took a couple of hours. I took the "measure twice and cut once" rule to the extreme before I cut the bag.
They came with a detailed instruction manual.
I have not had any problems dealing with David Daye. There was a problem with one of the drone reeds initially and he was very responsive in resolving it.
The only drawback with these drones is that the mainstock will not accept regulators. When the day comes that I want to move up to a full set, I will need to get a standard set of drones also at that time.
There is a photo of my set on D.Dayes website
http://daye1.com/graphics/sets/halfkit_cust1.jpg

Liam
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

They look smooth, too. Nice that he has a kit option.
For the record, David Daye's customer service is excellent. PM me for info.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

myrddinemrys wrote: For the record, David Daye's customer service is excellent.
Not for everyone. That's a broad assumption from a singular point of view.
Reepicheep

Post by Reepicheep »

Brian Lee wrote:
myrddinemrys wrote: For the record, David Daye's customer service is excellent.
Not for everyone. That's a broad assumption from a singular point of view.
The customer service I have received from David Daye has also been top notch...

Isn't it time to let it go Brian?
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Nothing to let go - We all get treated differently it seems, and any prospective buyer is entitled to know the good and the bad. Wish I had known before I'd ordered anything from him. For the record, none of the other makers I've worked with, purchased from, called to ask questions of etc. have given an ounce of grief. There was just the one. This one. That stands to be mentioned.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Brian Lee wrote: For the record, none of the other makers I've worked with, purchased from, called to ask questions of etc. have given an ounce of grief. There was just the one. This one. That stands to be mentioned.
Let's put this issue with DD to bed now. I'm sorry your experience was unpleasant... but really, enough, please.
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

David Daye's drones are very sturdy and high quality... I dont have a set but have had a chance to check them out.... Very nice and not overpriced... I talked to David a while back and had him make me one of his famous penny chanters.... Very nice work..... David's cool and does top notch service... :)