Tutors: Heather Clarke vs. NPU Vol. 1

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

wolvy wrote:Also you will find that you get to a certain point in the H. Clark tutor and it seems to jump very quickly in difficulty. It seems to go from simple easy stuff to harder tunes in a big step. This was frustrating and stalled my progress a bit. I found that the NPU video helped me with that jump point. But nothing is as good as face time with a real teacher (thanks, Mr. D'Arcy) !
Never seemed to bother me, not that I can recall. Sure, there was a probably a sudden increase in difficulty, but I just assumed we'd covered the easy stuff, nothing more to do there, now let's get serious. That it 'stalled' my progress, I don't think so, just slowed me down, which was probably a good thing. So I say, don't let that little issue bother you.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
glands

Post by glands »

There is no substitute to tionol hopping and real lessons.

I prefer the video but the tutor is nice. Armagh Pipers Club tutor book and tape is nice as well. Someone ought to do a CD to accompany the Ennis tutor. These learning tools are all useful for IP's...isolated pipers...of which Keith qualifies. He is smack between Nashville and St. Louis. Blevins? Martin? Easy choice....go see Tommy Martin! Still.....call me whenver you want to come for a lesson.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Lewis
call me whenver you want to come for a lesson.
As soon as I can get my little boy straightened out you can see me as much as you like.... :)

Until then I will be in my sunroom and taking baby steps into musical bliss. Guys I really am enjoying them (UPs) more and more.

I have the Clarke tutor and I am also waiting on my package from Seth. 30 minutes every other day I say!!!!

I am planning on purchasing the NPU Vol I for beginner pipers.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
smithand

Post by smithand »

I'm using both the Clarke tutor and NPU Video 1. I think they go well together. The NPU video is much more like being at a lesson.

Andrew
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Ok I got the picture....thanks so much for the feedback.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Eamon

Post by Eamon »

Keith,

My NPU DVD just came in yesterday, and I have to agree with Andrew, they go great together. They compliment each other nicely.

Eamon
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

wolvy wrote:Also you will find that you get to a certain point in the H. Clark tutor and it seems to jump very quickly in difficulty. It seems to go from simple easy stuff to harder tunes in a big step. This was frustrating and stalled my progress a bit. I found that the NPU video helped me with that jump point. But nothing is as good as face time with a real teacher (thanks, Mr. D'Arcy) !
I found this also. I started with Clark and got stuck on some things that weren't clear in the book. I found a couple of lessons hugely useful at that point.

After getting through most of Clark I got the videos and have gradually worked through all 3. In some ways I found the 2nd the toughest in that a lot of ornaments and technoques were introduced. Until you get to the regs in video 3, you're refining what you already learned.

I still go back and use Clark amongst others. Between Clark Ennis and others - there are a lot of varations on crans for example and different versions of tunes.
Simon
Eamon

Post by Eamon »

Simon,

Where are you at in PA? I am in the southeast, outside of Philly.

"But nothing is as good as face time with a real teacher (thanks, Mr. D'Arcy)!"

You wouldn't happen to teach, would you?

Eamon
wgority

Post by wgority »

Seems like more and more folks in PA are playing uilleann pipes. Maybe someone should organise a Pennsyltucky Tionol? I'm about 100 miles west of Harrisburg.
Eamon wrote:Simon,

Where are you at in PA? I am in the southeast, outside of Philly.

"But nothing is as good as face time with a real teacher (thanks, Mr. D'Arcy)!"

You wouldn't happen to teach, would you?

Eamon
Pipers Gathering--More Fun, More Music
August 1-4, 2008 in Killington, VT
http://www.pipersgathering.org
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

wgority wrote:Maybe someone should organise a Pennsyltucky Tionol?
A PA-pers Gathering, perhaps? :D
Cheers,
Mark

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
Eamon

Post by Eamon »

Mark, you are in charge! Let's have it at the Pipersville Tavern. Maybe we can get that scary ebay lady with the Pakistani pipes to come!

Eamon
Ceann Cromtha
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Eamon wrote:Mark, you are in charge! Let's have it at the Pipersville Tavern. Maybe we can get that scary ebay lady with the Pakistani pipes to come!

Eamon
Please check your PMs. Thanks, Dan
vanfleet
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

PA Pipers Gathering

Post by vanfleet »

I'll chime in and volunteer, I would be happy to be involved in organizing a pipers gathering in PA, preferably somewhere near Harrisburg in central PA.
How about 2006, late spring or early summer? The Central PA Piper's Club has already made some initial inquiries about having Brian McNamara come for a visit. David Power, what are your plans for May or June?!?

Jim Van Fleet
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Re: PA Pipers Gathering

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

vanfleet wrote:I'll chime in and volunteer, I would be happy to be involved in organizing a pipers gathering in PA, preferably somewhere near Harrisburg in central PA.
How about 2006, late spring or early summer? The Central PA Piper's Club has already made some initial inquiries about having Brian McNamara come for a visit. David Power, what are your plans for May or June?!?

Jim Van Fleet
I live in Baltimore and am interested.
Andy Parnell

HC Clarke Tutor - the dark side of the book...

Post by Andy Parnell »

Paddaigh O'Rafferty - this tune, the way it is in HC, is always the one that stumbles me. Even after mastering much harder tunes, I'm always having difficulty with this one for some reason.

IMHO, she really made my life hell by putting that @§*%! tune in there. I still wake up in a cold sweat due to the psychological damage she did to me by putting that tune in there! It has the same affect as Nam. Yep, there are tunes in that book that really will lead you down the dark path...just a word of caution to the uninitiated.

Tunes like that make you feel like you're knee deep in the rice paddies all over again!

Andy
Without piping, life would be a mistake...