More newbie questions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ennistraveler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

More newbie questions

Post by ennistraveler »

I'm looking for another whistle, can't afford other than the very inexpensive ones right now. I like the looks of the Walton little black whistle, and the Guiness whistle. How is Walton? Does it produce a clear sound? Is it easy to play the second octave? What other brands would meet these two criteria? I have some Clarkes but I don't like the sound of them. I often read about a "breathy tone", what does this mean? It sounds like it would be the way my Clarkes sound...(both Sweetones)

I'd appreciate any help.
Brother Steve rocks!
ShadowBG625
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

In my opinion, A Walton is the best cheap whistle you can come by. I have a Nickel C, and hail it as my BEST whistle. However, I don't like the Little Black Whistles. Much to frail, and just a tad too shrill for my taste. If looking for a D, a good one would be the Walton's Mellow D. Just wish I hadn't given mine away...
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I don't care for the standard-bore Walton's D whistles.

But both the Mello D and the Walton's C whistle (same head, different bodies) are very good whistles.

If you want a C whistle, go with the Walton's. For a D whistle, I'd recommend the Walton's Mello D or the Feadog. I like the Feadog more, actually, but it may require a touch more breath control to make it sound its best.
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

I'll second the Feadog. I love mine, and now that it has a Hoover cap on it, it sounds very nice. It does take some breath control in the low D and some of the upper octave notes.

I recommend the nickel plated with black cap.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Well, I'm going to throw a wrench into the consensus, I think

I really like my Little Black, which I have blu-tacked. Before the blu-tacking it was unplayable (squeaked all the time, and couldn't play above high G).

I do not like my Mellow D, which is overly raspy and not very well in-tune.

I am a fan of my Walton's C (in brass), though. It's a bit like my Generation C (which I also like), but more responsive.

On the other hand, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY FEADOG.

Also, just because no one else mentioned it, I believe that, other than the colors, the Little Black and Guiness are the same whistle. I might be wrong.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Skyclad01
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

I really enjoy my Little Black D. Though, as Shadow said, they are frail. At least it does feel that way when I hold it. But what can you expect from Aluminum. But I do love its sound. I've yet to own a Feadog (or play one at least). But I've heard nothing except good comments on them.
ennistraveler

Post by ennistraveler »

I think the little black whistle and the Guinness whistle is the same whistle, I read that somewhere. But what about the second octave? Does it play well in the second octave? I also tried the Walton Mellow D, I bought one for a friend some years ago, I didn't like the sound of it, like my Clarkes, too much blowing noise and too much out of tune.
Brother Steve rocks!
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Try a Feadog. It does have its own voice which i certainly wouldn't describe as "clear", but they are great whistles for the price.

Give one a go they only a couple of quid.
ennistraveler

Post by ennistraveler »

I just ordered a Feadog nickel D from (I think) Shanna quay. I also ordered a Walton Little Black D from Hobgoblin, only about 3 UK pounds or if it was euro, don't remember, I hope my order went through, I may have made a little mistake. I'll see in a week or so!
Brother Steve rocks!
Skyclad01
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

ennistraveler wrote:I think the little black whistle and the Guinness whistle is the same whistle, I read that somewhere. But what about the second octave? Does it play well in the second octave? I also tried the Walton Mellow D, I bought one for a friend some years ago, I didn't like the sound of it, like my Clarkes, too much blowing noise and too much out of tune.
My Little Black D plays well in 2nd octave. Actually, I enjoy playing that whislte next to my Nickle Generations.

And I'm with you on the Clarkes, I think thats why I rarely touch them. Though I am glad that I have them.. makes them handy to have if I want to go out and about with a whilste and not have to worry about if something to happens to it (god forbid though) :)
velroc

Post by velroc »

I would vote for a "walton mellow D" freeman tweaked off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Freeman-Tweaked-Whi ... dZViewItem

Bob
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Fishie wrote:I'll second the Feadog. I love mine, and now that it has a Hoover cap on it, it sounds very nice.
This is so insane. This means that you in fact do NOT like the feadog, but rather that you like Mack Hoover's whitecap. I would put a hefty bet on it that you would be unable to tell the difference between that cap on just about any D whistle tube.

The only D (high) whistles that I would consider as NOT having an easy second octave would be ones like the cheiftains or overtons. In other words, ones that are designed to have a lot of backpressure, which none of the "cheapies" are. So take some time (say about a month) and get used to your whistle.

I don't think you have enough experience yet to really understand the terms you are using. Specifically "clear" and "breathy". I'm pretty sure that a Sweetone is not "breathy". At least, not compared to Clarke Originals or Shaws. I don't really know what you are trying to say with clear, but in my experience, Feadogs are not what I would call "clear". Which is why I like them. They have character, and take time to play properly.
Henke

Re: More newbie questions

Post by Henke »

ennistraveler wrote:I'm looking for another whistle, can't afford other than the very inexpensive ones right now. I like the looks of the Walton little black whistle, and the Guiness whistle. How is Walton? Does it produce a clear sound? Is it easy to play the second octave? What other brands would meet these two criteria? I have some Clarkes but I don't like the sound of them. I often read about a "breathy tone", what does this mean? It sounds like it would be the way my Clarkes sound...(both Sweetones)

I'd appreciate any help.
Kolla in min tråd längre ner. Jag säljer av en hel del. Skulle vara skönt att slippa skicka till USA hela tiden.
MacNeil

Post by MacNeil »

To sound like a stuck record: if you are interested in a Mellow D, get a MellowDog.

Why? Because the stock Mellow D has a D that is noticably sharp. It's a serious design flaw that I can scarcely believe Waltons hasn't fixed yet.

OTOH, Jerry Freeman lengthens the bottom of the tube with an extender, bringing the D into tune. It makes a big difference.
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

NicoMoreno wrote:
Fishie wrote:I'll second the Feadog. I love mine, and now that it has a Hoover cap on it, it sounds very nice.
This is so insane. This means that you in fact do NOT like the feadog, but rather that you like Mack Hoover's whitecap. I would put a hefty bet on it that you would be unable to tell the difference between that cap on just about any D whistle tube.

No, it doesn't mean that. It sounded nice before and sounds even better now. There's no need for you to get all worked up over it.