Man boobs?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TomB »

djm wrote:Not on-line. This stuff all came to light in the 70s/80s when microwave ovens were first coming on the market. There was tons of contrversy on this, but the ready convenience outweighed all concerns.

Another big deal was that the seals on the oven doors start to break down after a year and should be replaced. Early microwave ovens were actually sold with a gieger counter so owners would be able to test the doors for leaks. I'll bet no-one ever replaces the seals on the their m-ovens.

djm

I'll bet that there aren't many folks with a geiger counter in there kitchen any longer, either. That would be cool to see.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

TomB wrote:
djm wrote:Not on-line. This stuff all came to light in the 70s/80s when microwave ovens were first coming on the market. There was tons of contrversy on this, but the ready convenience outweighed all concerns.

Another big deal was that the seals on the oven doors start to break down after a year and should be replaced. Early microwave ovens were actually sold with a gieger counter so owners would be able to test the doors for leaks. I'll bet no-one ever replaces the seals on the their m-ovens.

djm

I'll bet that there aren't many folks with a geiger counter in there kitchen any longer, either. That would be cool to see.

Tom
A Geiger counter will not detect the non-ionising radiation that a microwave oven generates. If it was the case that they were supplied with microwave ovens then it was just a big con.

I will continue to microwave my porridge in the bowl. It saves washing up a messy pan. I thought free radicals were people like Jack Gilder who lived in democracies! :wink:

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Well, every source I coudl find online that wasn't selling a health product or service and still talked about microwaves and free radicals seemed to say that they weren't caused by microwaves any more than by heating food in a pan. But I couldn't find a definitive study.

They were outweighed about five-thousand-to-one by organic-lifestyle websites selling health-food products proclaiming all sorts of nasty things about microwave ovens...but coming from a biased source, I tend to discount these things.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

TomB wrote:

djm

Tom

I bet there were never any folks with a geiger counter in their kitchen . . .

. . . not for culinary purposes, anyway.
djm

Post by djm »

No, I don't know anyone with geiger counters in their kitchens. I only mentioned it when talking about the furor that occurred during the introduction of mother's little nuker. I guess I should have put a smiley on it. Here you go - :D

The point about healthfood/natural food web sites is well taken. You can't trust anything you read on the web because you can never be sure of hidden agendas (what they are trying to sell you and why). What is most telling are the posts here about how people will not give up the convenience of their nukers. As I noted, no-one could reproduce anyone else's results due to the randomness of the effects. Unless you can point out clear evidence that people will drop dead within five minutes of consuming microwaved food, people just don't want to hear about it.

Its the same with the controversy over whether HIV causes AIDS, or whether cell phones cause brain cancer. You can point out statistics that show how many people who have HIV get AIDS, or statistics that show brain cancer rates increase in areas where cell phones are introduced, but the actual mechanism hasn't been proven scientifically. For AIDS, no-one wants to hear that HIV isn't involved. For cell phones (another super convenience) no-one wants to hear anything bad about them.

These are fringe issues. I'm sure there are many more. Like man boobs. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:Its the same with the controversy over whether HIV causes AIDS, or whether cell phones cause brain cancer. You can point out statistics that show how many people who have HIV get AIDS, or statistics that show brain cancer rates increase in areas where cell phones are introduced, but the actual mechanism hasn't been proven scientifically. For AIDS, no-one wants to hear that HIV isn't involved.
The connection between HIV, the virus, and AIDS, the immune deficiency disorder, is more than a little clear. It is far more than just "statistics that show how many people who have HIV get AIDS." Yeah, there are statistics on that, and they even show how long it takes, but those aren't the data which demonstrate that HIV is the cause of AIDS.

Viral replication and infection of cells in the immune system interferes with the body's ability to defend itself and opportunistic infections have their opportunity to infect.

It's not just speculation and it's not a conspiracy. There is a direct relationship between the number of viral particles and the degree of immunosuppression, treatment aiming to control viral replication controls the onset of AIDS, AIDS does not occur in the absence of HIV, etc.

The brain cancer - cell phone connection hasn't been shown to hold water yet, though.
TomB

Post by TomB »

djm wrote:No, I don't know anyone with geiger counters in their kitchens. I only mentioned it when talking about the furor that occurred during the introduction of mother's little nuker. I guess I should have put a smiley on it. Here you go - :D

djm

djm: I wasnt' having a go at you, and I believed that's what you have learned. I, too, thought it kind of amsuing and was joking around. Sorry.

:D

Tom
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Are we still talking about boobies on men?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
TomB

Post by TomB »

Tyler Morris wrote:Are we still talking about boobies on men?

I hope so.

Tom
missy

Post by missy »

boobie:

Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
TomB

Post by TomB »

missy wrote:boobie:

Ah, the blue-footed boobie. One of my wife's favorite birds. If he's a male, than he fits in well in this thread.

Of course, we seem to have veered into the realm of out of shape men getting their man boobies caught in their microwave door while they are testing the radiation with a geiger counter.

Tom
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

djm wrote: Its the same with the controversy over whether HIV causes AIDS
djm
...or the controversies over whether the moon's made of green cheese, or whether the Earth's flat, or whether the Pope's a Catholic.

Now come on!!

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Denny

Post by Denny »

SteveShaw wrote:
djm wrote: Its the same with the controversy over whether HIV causes AIDS
djm
...or the controversies over whether the moon's made of green cheese, or whether the Earth's flat, or whether the Pope's a Catholic.

Now come on!!

Steve
Now ya know we like to work on the simple ones here...

...the more complex are down a floor. :D
djm

Post by djm »

A few years ago there was this big controversy in the news. Some really top-shelf researcher was retiring from the private sector. There was this big push to get him to head up the international investigation into a cure for AIDS. He refused, saying that no-one had established a clear enough mechanism for how HIV caused AIDS, that the evidence was merely statistical. That's where I got it from.

I am not so much interested in the science (fascinating as that is) but in the controversy, the decisions made and the reasons for those decisions, and the long term outcomes of those decisions. There is controversy over the use of microwave ovens and cell phones, but we want our convenience, and big business wants its profit margins, so the controversy gets swept under the rug - no funding to prove or disprove the controversy - just sweep it under the rug.

I am seeing lots of jokes about man boobs (not just here, but in the media, as well). The jokes seem geared towards trivializing the issue, although a doctor reports an increase in incidents. Are we looking to see what the real cause is in this rise? Is anyone demanding answers? Even if man boobs is not an immediate threat, is it part of a greater problem that we should be aware of? When we trivialize an issue it gets swept under the rug. Warning signs that something in our world is not quite right do not get looked into.

The fact that we trivialize man boobs suggests to me that we have already made a decision of sorts. So now, what will be the outcome of our decision?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

every time i read this man-boob thing, i always hear saruman saying:

Tonight you shall taste MAN-FLESH!

8)