My new baby

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChristianRo »

feadogin wrote:
DIAGONALINE wrote:Ah go on now thats a wonderful smile, I,m smiling just looking at the pictures
What a beautiful instrument. Congratulations
Is that a pin through the top d' hole? What would that be for.

Les.
Yes, that's a little strange, isn't it? I wonder if it's tuning-related?

J.
Yes it is. On the UP chanter, the back D is especially prone to going out of tune with temperature/air moisture change. Andreas invented the little screw in order to tune that note separately without messing with the reed. Turning it in flattens the back D, turning out raises it.
No more messing with sellotape :)
Christian
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Congrats, Justine. It's a wonderful feeling to get a set of pipes you really, really like, isn't it?
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Pat Cannady wrote:Congrats, Justine. It's a wonderful feeling to get a set of pipes you really, really like, isn't it?
Yes, but for me, it's a wonderful feeling just to get a set of pipes! :)

My fiancee, (who paid for them) is really attached to them, too. He wants me to keep them in the bubble wrap at all times when I'm not playing them, but that seems a little drastic to me.

Interesting to learn about the tuning screw...I'll have to have the other local Rogge-owners show me how to work that...

J.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Does this mean you'll be changing your name to Uilleannin or perhaps Roggein? :wink:
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

feadogin wrote:
Pat Cannady wrote:Congrats, Justine. It's a wonderful feeling to get a set of pipes you really, really like, isn't it?

My fiancee, (who paid for them) is really attached to them, too. He wants me to keep them in the bubble wrap at all times when I'm not playing them, but that seems a little drastic to me.

Interesting to learn about the tuning screw...I'll have to have the other local Rogge-owners show me how to work that...

J.
If I am not mistaken, a small allen wrench or maybe a small flat head screw driver is what can be used for that. But my experience with Rogge tuning screws leaves me to believe that they can be adjusted with a little finger pressure... of course humidity may affect this.
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Ahhh. I remember when my Rogge set arrived some five years ago. What a wonderful smell! I had my wife just come into the room and merely smell the open case.

It smelled like
...victory.

I recall undoing that bubble wrap to see what glories lie within.

Re: the tuning screw. You may not need it where you live, but I have used it quite a bit. You just insert an allen wrench in it and turn away. It looks like your screw is fairly fully deployed (showing through the hole) and that is probably good. Ds mostly go flat, in which case you back the screw out, sharpening the note.

I look forward to seeing the set at the SoCal tionol.

Congrats!

T
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

feadogin wrote:

J.
Well they look fantastic, hope they sound just as good. Enjoy.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Congratulations to you both. She's a dote! :lol:

Looking forward to hearing them next week at the So Cal Tionol!

Patrick.

Post by Guest »

enjoy justine it looks a very nice set indeed :party:
CrackPiper

Post by CrackPiper »

that really is a great looking set. Happy Birthday!!:party: (even if it's not). I've been curious about those Rogge sets myself. 2 questions...are the drones and the stock a different type of wood (the grain appears straight in the photo)? and did you get a hollow or solid mainstock? Silly questions, I know but that's the internets. best to to you with them.

m
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Its the same wood..snakewood.Some pieces have the straighter looking grain in it but it doesnae matter all that much as the wood darkens down.Justine be aware o that and try and keep them out o direct sunlight.My B set doesnae go out o the house and looks the same as the day I got it about 10 years ago.
Enjoy
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Uilliam wrote:Its the same wood..snakewood.Some pieces have the straighter looking grain in it but it doesnae matter all that much as the wood darkens down.Justine be aware o that and try and keep them out o direct sunlight.
Congratulations Justine, you are the proud owner of a set of Vampires. :D
Mark Byrne

Post by Mark Byrne »

Hi Justine,

would you mind if I asked you how long you were on Andreas' waiting list for this set,

thanks,
Mark.
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Pat Cannady wrote: Well they look fantastic, hope they sound just as good. Enjoy.
Right now the regulator reeds are working fine, they sound good to me (not that I know much about those!) The bass drone reed and the chanter reed are not taking too well to the climate changes, and need some tweaking, which I haven't been able to do myself too well. I am going to have some other pipers look at them and if I can't get them working to my satistfaction, I can always ask Benedict to look at them in SoCal.

Then we will know what they really sound like. :)

I have the added issue of not having a lot of arm strength, so I would like a light reed. If I have too light of a chanter reed though, I guess that will create complications with the other reeds? (Oh, the things I have to think about now.)

Tried the Allen wrench on the back D screw yesterday, which seems to work great, thanks for the advice y'all!

Interesting to learn about the variations in the wood...We have been curious about that here, too. I'll have to keep the Vampires out of the sun. Since Patrick gives his sets names, maybe I should call mine....Dracula? 8)

J.
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

CrackPiper wrote:are the drones and the stock a different type of wood (the grain appears straight in the photo)? and did you get a hollow or solid mainstock? Silly questions, I know but that's the internets. best to to you with them.

m
I have no basis for comparison on the mainstock, having never really looked at any other examples, but it looks hollow to me.

J.