Looking for tunes with the special structure-> please ent

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tradfancy

Looking for tunes with the special structure-> please ent

Post by tradfancy »

like in: Eileen Curran-Feadoga Stain, and The Musical Priest etc.

The structure I mean is when you have 8 notes that when are played, sound like 4 "fast jumps".

for an example: #c, a, e, a, #f, a, e, a
b, g, d, g, e, g, d, g

I'm absolutely enchanted by this structure...please if you can recommend me some tunes with this structure I would be grateful ! ! !
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Looking for tunes with the special structure-> please

Post by Congratulations »

Oh, like the A part of Dick Gossip, where you've got the GbAbGb idea? If I understand your description, you're looking for tunes like Gravel Walk, Mountain Road, Floggin Reel, The Convenience, Boys of Ballysodare, High Reel, Glass of Beer, etc.

And yes, I just opened a tune book and looked through it, these aren't off the top of my head. :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Green Groves of Erin.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: Looking for tunes with the special structure-> please

Post by colomon »

tradfancy wrote:The structure I mean is when you have 8 notes that when are played, sound like 4 "fast jumps".
Are you really looking for that specific a thing, or just the general pattern where you've got a pattern of notes which plays out against the same alternate note so that (if played properly) it's almost like the alternate note is held throughout and the other notes are the melody? (Ack, that's not a better way to say it, I afraid. Hope this makes sense.)

Because this is a very common pattern in Irish music, and there are lots of reels that demonstrate different forms of it. Like having a roll:

dGGG dGeG|dGGA

(that's the opening of "Boys of Ballisodare", the GGG pattern is usually rolled).

Or starting with a quarternote length on the pedal note:

G2BG dGBG

(which is the opening measure of about ten gazillion reels, but this time I'm thinking of "The Five Mile Chase", which frequently follows the "Boys of Ballisodare" and also has a very nice FADA FADA pattern in it.)

I also think a nice variation is having the pedal note be higher, like in the B-part of "Down the Broom":

g2dg egdg

Really, this sort of thing is dead common in Irish music, and if you look at any decent tunebook you'll find dozens if not hundreds of examples.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I guess I've seen the term "pedal note" and the notes enough to understand what it means, but where does that term come from? Is it just a note that is repeated between notes that are changing, or is there more to it that I am missing?
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I never knew where it came from, but a simple Google search turned up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedal_point

However, I think most of the harmony stuff they talk about is not really valid for Irish music -- the basic effect we go for is more of a simple drone.

I've also heard the phrase "rocking pedal" used for this in Irish music.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

That was quite helpful actually. I also looked up "drone" and I think I have the idea now. It seems odd that I didn't connect this idea with a drone, but live and learn. It said that some classical composers, if they wanted to attain a sort of "rustic" effect, i.e the sound of a drone, would use pedal notes. Thank you! I guess I should have looked that up myself. :oops: You're just so handy. :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Crevan

Post by Crevan »

Harvest Home is another common one if I understand what you're asking for.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Drowsy Maggie
Julia Delaney
Morning Dew
Cooley's Reel
The Cup of Tea

It's pretty common in ITM, actually.
John S

Post by John S »

Last part of Jenny's chickins.

John S
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

This is called a "rocking pedal."

Common ones I've encountered are egdg egdg (The Traveller, the New Policeman), GdGeGd (the Roscommon Reel) , and c2 gcacgc (The Gravel Walk).

--James
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

In The Tap Room is another
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Slight alteration: Ross' Reel #4.

Very cool...

Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979