fatigue

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

I think maybe you have entered the realm of "over-sharing". I know I've entered the realm of over-receiving! :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Oh, dear! And I thought I'd held back the worst of it!

Hmm, I see there is no little smiley for "look of dismay!" Well, I am. Dismayed.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lamby, I thought that was a lovely tour de force. :lol:
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Denny wrote:Lamby, I thought that was a lovely tour de force. :lol:

Thank you, Denny!

(hic!)

:wink:
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:You can PM me too...

Although, for the record, I can't imagine why anyone would object to this kind of sharing.

Robin
I also see no reason for censoring Cran when he needs support. I for one have found the folks here to be more than tolerant about lending an ear and sometimes a shoulder to lean on, and also a well-needed slap when things border on self-pity. There are a couple of folks on this board, however, who are seemingly disturbed about others sharing these things in the pub. And I suppose there is a line that shouldn't be crossed while in public. Personally, that part of my brain that tells the rest of you when saying or doing something isn't a good idea is a big part that has withered away already. [maybe i shouldn't have siad that -- i don't know] The thing is, Cran is a real person who is suffering. Although there is not a face-to-face relationship in the traditional sense, there is still the give and take and the exchange of ideas among all of us here that does not allow him to be one of the anonymous shadows that live in Louisiana, or in Iraq, or in Ethiopia, or in your local nursing home, or anywhere else on this planet. Now suffering has a name and a "face" if you will and this makes it harder to ignore. . . .

[I was going somewhere with this post but i am now lost and cant remember where that was or figure out how to get there. I've been staring at the screen for the last 45 minutes and my mind is blank.] *dang*

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

And here we are back at the issue of personal responsibility. If you don't like what you're reading on the Internet, reading in a book or newspaper, seeing on TV, or listening to on the radio, don't read/watch/listen to it. Read a different thread. Pick up a different book. Shut off the TV or change channels. There's lots of threads on this forum I don't read once I know that it's about sports or politics or religion. Lots of channels on TV that I just skip over. And lots of radio stations I don't listen to.
Charlene
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Just for the record, I'm the person who suggested to Cran that he was oversharing. I didn't ask him to edit or delete his post and he wasn't censored. Thanks to those of you who offered to accept PMs.
Jack

Post by Jack »

DaleWisely wrote:Just for the record, I'm the person who suggested to Cran that he was oversharing. I didn't ask him to edit or delete his post and he wasn't censored. Thanks to those of you who offered to accept PMs.
Yes, thanks to everybody.

And I didn't really feel cesored. I just didn't realise I was oversharing (I had to be told) so I edited my post accordingly once Dale had brought it to my attention.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cranberry wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:Just for the record, I'm the person who suggested to Cran that he was oversharing. I didn't ask him to edit or delete his post and he wasn't censored. Thanks to those of you who offered to accept PMs.
Yes, thanks to everybody.

And I didn't really feel cesored. I just didn't realise I was oversharing (I had to be told) so I edited my post accordingly once Dale had brought it to my attention.
And I hope that you've seen that, even though you may have been oversharing, in comparison to my truly egregious demonstration . . . I'm still feeling a little full, don't you know . . . you weren't oversharing by very much.

There are two things in your favor, Cran. First, not too many people here actually run from you. That tells me that you're not an inveterate over-sharer. Certainly, you do not over-share gross and horrifying details.

I know a woman who is such an appalling and revoltingly morose over-sharer that people actually hide from her. Not just some people . . . all people. By comparison, you're rather pleasant and benign.

Second, you're directable. That is, when it's pointed out, you do something about it.

Unlike me. Point out a problem to me and I'll just go on and do it even more . . . .

The point being that all of us need a little direction now and then. And Dale's a decent guy to help out with it.
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

Will-I-Ever-Learn O'Ban wrote:I also see no reason for censoring Cran when he needs support. I for one have found the folks here to be more than tolerant about lending an ear and sometimes a shoulder to lean on, and also a well-needed slap when things border on self-pity. There are a couple of folks on this board, however, who are seemingly disturbed about others sharing these things in the pub. And I suppose there is a line that shouldn't be crossed while in public.
CBerry wrote:I didn't really feel cesored. I just didn't realise I was oversharing (I had to be told) so I edited my post accordingly once Dale had brought it to my attention.

Well . . . leave it to little ol' me to behave like a you know what again. Things like believing someone is in actual pain and thinking there's nothing wrong with discussing what they are going through and trying to offer support and comfort in a group setting. I suppose that's where the "don't do it in public" comes in. For the record, I didn't offer to accept Cran's sharing in a a p.m. because silly me assumes that "oversharing" means that someone's saying too much and they feel they must keep it to themselves. And saying to someone, "PM me about it" seems like prying into something that's none of my business. Besides I don't know that Cran would care to pm me anyway. Now I see from Dale's implication that "pm me about it" is the way that people who genuinely care should go. *dang* i just never get this stuff right.
lambchop wrote:Certainly, you [Cran] do not over-share gross and horrifying details.

I know a woman who is such an appalling and revoltingly morose over-sharer that people actually hide from her. Not just some people . . . all people.
Hmmmm. Sounds like someone I know. You could send her an e-mail telling her to "find somewhere else to die." The person I know certainly got the hint. But sometimes it takes a ton of bricks . . .

It has always been my experience that folks like that have no feelings anyway. I believe I am correct in saying that if people can't stand her then it's not like she really matters. So if she doesn't take the hint when she sees everyone going the other way, then I say it's time to take things up a notch (refer back to my e-mail suggestion). Just look at it from a positive angle: Her loss will be your gain. And that is what it's all about. :wink:

Will O'Ban
Last edited by Will O'B on Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

DaleWisely wrote:Just for the record, I'm the person who suggested to Cran that he was oversharing.
Even I sort of figured that out. BTW, thanks for sharing that. :)

Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Will O'B wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:Just for the record, I'm the person who suggested to Cran that he was oversharing.
OH, no problem.
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

DaleWisely wrote:
Will O'B wrote:
OH, no problem.
Thanks. Not that I thought you would feel it was a problem of course. But some folks aren't willing to do even the little things for anyone. And I think that's where we can all make a difference in others' lives. Even if we just lend an ear or a shoulder to lean on, it can mean the difference between someone making it through another day or putting a gun to their head. And that's why the little things like the Pub can be so worthwhile. But I imagine you already knew that. :)

Will O'Ban

Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I'm a little late here but I hope things are going better Cran.

Lambchop I'd strongly recommend using a bulb syringe and warm saline to irrigate those pesky nasal passages. Works wonders.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Didn't see your 'oversharing' post before you edited it, Cranberry, so I don't how things are going but, like Flyingcursor, I do hope things are looking up for you and that your doc is getting you sorted out.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.