Basic technique problem

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
SteveC

Basic technique problem

Post by SteveC »

I picked up a Feadóg D while visiting my family in Dublin a weekend or two. I pretended it was for my 2 year old daughter, but have taken it into my study and hidden it!

The reason for the choice whistle is simple, it was the one I had when I was a kid, whether it's a good bad or indifferent choice, I don't know :)

Anyway, I'm trying to force myself to "tut" rather than altering my blowing, but I'm having a lot of difficult at the lower end of the scale, tending to hop up an octave instead.

Any hints/tips or suggestions?
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

I have no idea what you mean by "tutting", but my Feadogs do seem to
flip up easier than most of my other whistles, now that I compare them...

Make sure all your holes are well covered (especially the hole closest to
the mouthpiece), and concentrate on blowing slow, hot air.

You might try tweaking the whistle to make it less likely to flip so easily.
See this page: http://www.chiffandfipple.com/tweak.html
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

The trick is to just breath into the whistle...don't blow (and don't even try to tongue until you can sound a steady bell note without jumping up an octave). Definitely make sure all the holes are completely covered and then just do a nice, sustained D until you get a feel for how much breath it takes to sound the note. Then do the same thing with E, and so on up the scale.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Try "tuh" instead of "tut", and make that t pretty soft. More like a "duh". It's a subtle thing, and varies from note to note, whistle to whistle.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Try "tuh" instead of "tut", and make that t pretty soft. More like a "duh". It's a subtle thing, and varies from note to note, whistle to whistle.
Got wood?
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Got wood?
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I think I got it the third time, Paul!!! :lol:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Oh, I think I'm repeating Redwolf here. If by "tut" you mean that you touch the roof of your mouth with your tongue between each note, that would be called tonguing. Many people advocate different things about tonguing.

The tutorial I used, for example, said to practice without tonguing and then add it in later when you want to emphasize a note. Playing without tonguing (and there are degrees of tonguing as brewerpaul pointed out, "tut" vs. "tuh" or "duh") is a more legato style. You can also hear how clean your transitions are between notes if you don't tongue---it can sort of cover up problems that you might have if you wanted to play very legato.

Other tutorials say to use tonguing all the time and whistle players vary a lot in how much tonguing they use.

One tutuorial I have says to tongue when jumping from the lower register to the higher one to help the note "sound sweet". Tonguing might be why you are hopping up an octave when you don't want to. It does sort of give off a blast of air, although you can tongue more gently.

I am one who thinks practicing legato and adding tonguing later is a good idea. But other opinions are just as good. I'm not sure what you mean by altering your blowing, but I think that sounds like a better approach---it is necessary to alter one's blowing especially to get the very low and very high notes, in my experience.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Funny- I find that jumping up the register is in-tune with just a change of air, but some downward leaps need some help to avoid momentary flatness. Tonguing the lower note (lightly and quickly) makes it pop out in tune.

Some people use glottal stops (like coughing) instead of tonguing, but my throat surgeon and I don't recommend it.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Flywhistler

Post by Flywhistler »

I think the Feadog is an excellent whistle. Tonguing a note can alter the speed of the air. Low notes on the whistle are the most easily affected and need to be tongued more gently. I think you will eventually develop a feel for what you need to do just by working at it.
kfg

Re: Basic technique problem

Post by kfg »

SteveC wrote:. . . but have taken it into my study and hidden it!
Why?

KFG
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Thanks for all the responses! Yes, I do mean "tuh" rather than "tut", tried something closer to "duh" and it works a little better! My basic issue is that the tonguing is moving the air too quickly on lower D, I can control it on E, and easily manage it above that. I guess it might be a whistle thing, I'll try a couple of others when I get a chance. Basically I'm trying to avoid the whole glottle stop thing :)

I'll also look at a bit of "tuning", though I'm a bit hesitant at that. I feel my basic breathing is OK at the moment, I'm just trying to ingrain which note is which into my head now :)

As for why it's hidden, mostly because I want to play it. I'm playing in front of the kids lots though, so when they're a little older they should be able to play a few tunes (I was taught "Silent Night" around the age of 5). Currently I'm trying to get my 2.5 year old to breath rather than blow into it when she picks it up.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Steve,
Maybe it's just me, but I'm having the dangdest time trying to figure out what you mean by....
***As for why it's hidden, mostly because I want to play it.***

Also, why would you try to avoid the glottal stop? I have a theory that most people who avoid tonguing use the glottal stop (spelling?) without realizing it.

Tom.
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Instead of Duh you can also use djuh, with the j softening the d even further.

tuh, duh, djuh, juh, kuh, luh, huh, guh, uh, nuh, quh, vuh. All can be used to add different emphasis and tone colour to notes.
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

Screeeech!!! wrote: tuh, duh, djuh, juh, kuh, luh, huh, guh, uh, nuh, quh, vuh. All can be used to add different emphasis and tone colour to notes.
Have you ever tried using Ruh rolling the R with your tongue?