Steve Shaw's CD

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Steve Shaw's CD

Post by Dale »

I asked for my copy and got it. So glad I did. Lovely, lovely CD:

Blowing Through The Reeds" at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
Congratulations

Re: Steve Shaw's CD

Post by Congratulations »

DaleWisely wrote:Blowing Through The Reeds
OH! I get it! Blowing Through the Reeds! Because he plays harmonica.

It all comes together.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
djm

Post by djm »

Gee, mine has this loud humming on it ... Oh, you mean its supposed to sound like that? :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

djm wrote:Gee, mine has this loud humming on it ... Oh, you mean its supposed to sound like that? :D

djm
You're just jealous because you just have to have that hum - sorry, drone - before your axe sounds any good! :wink:

Steve (hum-free zone :D )
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
djm

Post by djm »

Steve, I guess you haven't see the thread on tuning in the UP forum on using harmonica to tune UPs. I was sure it was one of your agents .... :really:

djm
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

djm wrote:Steve, I guess you haven't see the thread on tuning in the UP forum on using harmonica to tune UPs. I was sure it was one of your agents .... :really:

djm
I didn't see it and in a totally prejudiced way I'll condemn the practice. :) No-one should ever tune to a harmonica. They are rarely tuned to A440 (for good reasons) and many models are not tuned to equal temperament. You could easily be tuning to a reed that's about 20 cents flat. Moreover, the harmonica player may bend the note given for tuning. A reprehensible idea. :evil: And anyone who attempts to tune to a tremolo harmonica should be banned from the session and forced to drink Tinners Ale for a month.

Steve

djm

Post by djm »

I think I'll quote you on that, if I may, sir.

djm
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

But isn't all that exactly what makes harmonica the perfect instrument to tune pipes to? :party:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

SteveShaw wrote:
djm wrote:Steve, I guess you haven't see the thread on tuning in the UP forum on using harmonica to tune UPs. I was sure it was one of your agents .... :really:

djm
I didn't see it and in a totally prejudiced way I'll condemn the practice. :) No-one should ever tune to a harmonica. They are rarely tuned to A440 (for good reasons) and many models are not tuned to equal temperament. You could easily be tuning to a reed that's about 20 cents flat. Moreover, the harmonica player may bend the note given for tuning. A reprehensible idea. :evil: And anyone who attempts to tune to a tremolo harmonica should be banned from the session and forced to drink Tinners Ale for a month.

Steve
I can appreciate where you're coming from but I've often had someone tune to my root note, especially in the absence of electric tuners, tuning forks or other things. I mean, let's say you're at the beach or park and your friend with a guitar finds he's out of tune and has nothing to use as a reference.

BTW have you tried the Bushman harmonicas yet? I'm about to order a couple to replace my blown LO G.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Flyingcursor wrote:
I can appreciate where you're coming from but I've often had someone tune to my root note, especially in the absence of electric tuners, tuning forks or other things. I mean, let's say you're at the beach or park and your friend with a guitar finds he's out of tune and has nothing to use as a reference.

BTW have you tried the Bushman harmonicas yet? I'm about to order a couple to replace my blown LO G.
True, but very often the fiddle player will ask you for a D or an E when you've got, say, a C harp in your hand. E would be the 5-blow, which is noticeably flat on a Just-tuned or intermediate-tuned harp. Lee Oskars are tuned to Equal Temperament so should give no such problems, though they are tuned a bit above A440 - can be up to A444. Like you say, it's best to pick up a harp in the right key and give 'em the root note. Bl**dy fiddle players! :x

I haven't tried Bushmen yet but I will when I blow out my LOs. Not an easy thing to do!

Cheers

Steve

jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Worra loada wimps. Real men don't tune.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

jbarter wrote:Worra loada wimps. Real men don't tune.
Too right, mate. They'll be usin' bleedin' bog paper next! :D

Steve

Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

SteveShaw wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:

True, but very often the fiddle player will ask you for a D or an E when you've got, say, a C harp in your hand. E would be the 5-blow, which is noticeably flat on a Just-tuned or intermediate-tuned harp. Lee Oskars are tuned to Equal Temperament so should give no such problems, though they are tuned a bit above A440 - can be up to A444. Like you say, it's best to pick up a harp in the right key and give 'em the root note. Bl**dy fiddle players! :x

I haven't tried Bushmen yet but I will when I blow out my LOs. Not an easy thing to do!

Cheers

Steve
Think you've got problems? Some eejit once asked me for an F# when I had a fiddle in my hand. Can't think who it was...

"Blowing Through the Reeds" still puts me in mind of that classic "Wind on the Bog"...

Great CD!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Martin Milner wrote:
Think you've got problems? Some eejit once asked me for an F# when I had a fiddle in my hand. Can't think who it was...

Great CD!

But it was an inspiration to me. I can now ask for a Ebm7th chord when holding a C harmonica in my hand.

BTW I just got done listening to some of the clips. You have a great clarity in your playing. Nice jumps from note to note.
Last edited by Flyingcursor on Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
missy

Post by missy »

Flydood - what in the WORLD did you do to your avatar????? :o
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com