Some Market Reserch.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Phil Hardy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Some Market Reserch.

Post by Phil Hardy »

Hi guys,I have a dilema (so whats new?)
I have to ask you a Q?
What music format do you prefer and why?
I ask this as my dilema is this.
Do I put all my music up as MP3s and sell the tracks that way or do I sell burned copies (hard CDs) and send through the mail.
Some friend told my web tech guy to put a pile of downloadable MP3s on his site and sold nothing.
Do people still prefer CDs?
I want to get this stuff right as I know many of you want our music.I don't want to go down the produced CD road (factory printed),as we get overloaded with boxes of CDs.So MP3s would be good in theory but are they what you want?
Please let me know here or email me at phil@kerrywhistles.com
Your answers will have influence over other artists as well as myself.
Thankyou.
Phil.
khl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

I still like the CDs because I don't have the technology yet to carry the Mp3s to places other than my computer. Eventually I will, but for a time I'll bet many will continue to be in similar situations--still like the CDs.

I've seen the individual songs available on Tony Hinnigan's site. If I had the technology I might be able to buy these, then transfer them to my own CDs. What might be convenient as a buyer is to be able to pick a number of these and be able to order them on a CD. But that, of course, would probably mean lots of work for the seller.
Keith
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

I've MP3'd my whole music collection onto my hardrive and play everything from there. So for me MP3's are where it's at.
Crevan

Post by Crevan »

Screeeech!!! wrote:I've MP3'd my whole music collection onto my hardrive and play everything from there. So for me MP3's are where it's at.
I do the same thing. Personally, I would prefer it in MP3 form. However, I strongly believe the music would sell better on CD.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I am surprised that you are asking this but it's just proof of the new ways of getting music overcoming audiophile considerations. I prefer AIFF files because they SOUND better but people are getting used to the dumbed-down mp3 sound and it's too bad.
Thus I would always prefer to buy an AIFF version then make an mp3 at home for Ipod listening.
Hope I am getting your question correctly.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Why not do both?

MP3 can be reasonable quality if you compromise on filesize - in fact some MP3s are indistinuishable to most human ears from CD quality. There are many settings in the average MP3 encoder software, and most users just go with the defaults, so no wonder they don't always get the best results...

I often convert good MP3s to .wav and then burn them to CD anyway.

Again, why not do both? Really, is there a reason you have to do one or the other exclusively?
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
scheky

Post by scheky »

Honestly, I don't play CDs anymore. I own hundreds(I pay for what I like) of CDs, but they are all converted to MP3 now.

If it's not on my Ipod, I don't listen to it.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Personally, I like CDs. Although I know there's the issue of storage space, I like having a physical item. I don't have to worry about an accident or a hard drive crash wiping out my CD collection.

I can make my CDs into MP3s if I want.

Jason
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I buy CDs.

I listen to MP3s.

The CDs get put away for safe keeping
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I do what Wanderer does then they go on my iPod and I carry around lots of CDs all the time but they all fit in my pocket. I would prefer CD because you don't get all the Liner Notes on just files.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I like old fashioned CDs. Just about the only time I simply listen to music is in the car (it distracts me from reading, computing, etc) so CDs are a lot easier. I like liner notes and pics too.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I created a website for my friend, song-writer Dave Norris (link below) which has 30 sec MP3 samples and links to downloadable MP3s of selected tunes. It also has info on buying CDs. I realize that few people outside of Bluegrass might have heard of Dave, so I dont expect him to be a millionaire out of this venture, but he has had a few requests for CDs.
I am thinking of putting his stuff on CD baby which can either provide downloadables or CDs to see where the market is headed (I am not a entrepeneur, just doing this for the exercise).
I do know that Lolly Cross now has her tunes available on Napster which comes up on World...Contemporary Celtic Genre searches.

Personally, I like MP3s. If I have a choice between playing 20 CD tunes or 200 MP3s on one disc on my audio system, I prefer the latter.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
ChaplainBlake
Tell us something.: Irish music has been a developing passion of mine. In the next few years, I hope to have all four of my kids going on whistles!

Post by ChaplainBlake »

Phil,
I prefer to have the CD and use it as my hard copy archive. But, like many here, I listen mostly to MP3s and the like. If you use a high quality codec, like some artists are doing on their sites (the FLAC codec is the best...lossless compression), then the user can convert it to whatever format they choose and have the best sound possible. The only issue with the FLAC codec is that it takes up more webspace. But, for those who desire audiophile quality sound, it is the best way to go.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Right now I'm not much into MP's, and prefer CD's. I do rip few CD's onto the computer now and then, but I don't like hogging up my memory with songs.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Caru

Post by Caru »

I've had hard drives crash too often to trust any information to them alone. I'd prefer to buy a CD, then convert it to MP3 myself if I wanted it on the computer or player. That way I'd have a backup. (Or could you put a code with each CD that gave buyers access to download the MP3s as well? That should suit everyone, but means you'd still have the expense of shipping CDs.)