Why all the hate?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Denny wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
Denny wrote: Now you've done it Lamby!

That was brilliant. :)

Thank you! Thank you, all!

Shall I submit this for the FAQ, do you think?
yep! I think you should.

Well, we'll just have to find Dale then . . . Dale! Oh, Daaaaalllle! Are you here?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I, personally like most every sort of fipple flute, be they gemshorn, rec***er, tinwhistle, ocarina, tabor pipe, or what not. Most of this talk is just trying to put things in a box that ought not to be boxed up. A Yamaha plastic school recorder can sound splendid in the proper hands. An alto neo-baroque instrument sounds great as a solo instrument. A tenor recorder is capable of great expression. A soprano recorder can sing well with a group of mixed instruments, whether playing melody or a harmonic descant. Wide-bore recorders are nice in recorder ensembles, and they have a sound that is different from that of Baroque recorders.

Mostly, I find it absurd to brush with such a large stroke all recorders.
Reasonable person
Walden
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Playing recorders give you hairy finger pads.
Don't ask me how I know.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Well, that Old Blind Dogs Monaghans jig (or somthing like that) on the recorder put my mind to rest about recorders and ITM---they sound fine, I couldn't tell it wasn't a whistle. It's all just psychological. :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Lambchop wrote:
Denny wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
Thank you! Thank you, all!

Shall I submit this for the FAQ, do you think?
yep! I think you should.

Well, we'll just have to find Dale then . . . Dale! Oh, Daaaaalllle! Are you here?
(rubs eyes) What.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Recorders are fantastic. I played in an early music consort in college. Much like ITM, I am drawn like a moth to the dance tunes - the ones with the driving beat and the catchy melodies. It's all there in early music if you look hard enough. The more "composed" pieces like the fantasias and suites are good too, but I think one needs to perform them to appreciate them.

I got to play a Great Bass recorder - what an insanely cool instrument. Easier to hold then a low whistle, less ergonomic weirdness than an Irish flute.. . very fun sound. All sorts of countermelodies and harmonizing. The only problem with it is that large recorders are inherently quiet, soft instruments. Which was probably a good thing, considering that I had an audience ;)

FOr a bizarre but brilliant recorder album, I like "Neidhart von Reuental" by some German early music group. Too much fun.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

DaleWisely wrote:
Lambchop wrote: Well, we'll just have to find Dale then . . . Dale! Oh, Daaaaalllle! Are you here?
(rubs eyes) What.

Oh, you don't look impressed at all. Well, nevermind then. Not important.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lambchop wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:
Lambchop wrote: Well, we'll just have to find Dale then . . . Dale! Oh, Daaaaalllle! Are you here?
(rubs eyes) What.

Oh, you don't look impressed at all. Well, nevermind then. Not important.
Hrrmmp
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Apparently some recorder players have a sense of humor. This is one of the books:http://cgi.ebay.com/EROTIC-RECORDER_W0Q ... dZViewItem
Everyone likes music
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

MacNeil wrote:
buddhu wrote:Nah, for REAL abuse surely it has to be bodhran.
Playing one? Or having to listen to one? :P
See what I mean? :roll:

(Hides Belgarth 16" under coat and edges toward door...)
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
bfloyd

Post by bfloyd »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Craig Stuntz wrote:
bfloyd wrote:I mean, look at the string family . . . violin players are constantly, constantly bashing viola players!! There are probably more viola jokes out there than any other instrument. As you probably guessed it, I also play viola:( But again, it is all in fun.
That's unfair to violin players. Everybody bashes viola players. :)
Strange, I didn’t realize that there was a difference between violin and viola players' instruments. I just thought that the violin players’ heads were bigger.

:lol:
bfloyd

Post by bfloyd »

S.B.O'Gill wrote:I wonder if people on recorder message boards go around "dissing" people who play whistles?!

Hah hah hah!! Anybody know?

My guess is that they don't...

I could be wrong though...

Nope. Not the ones I've been on anyway. There doesn't seem to be many recorder forums. I only know of one on Yahoo. No bashing (from what I know of) and there are many folk recorder players there too.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

We should switch to picking on the theremin players. There are only, like, six of them.

Do they have their own board? Tube and Rheostat?
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

amar wrote:
SteveK wrote:
F There was (still is?) a Scottish band called Capercaillie (sp?). They had a recorder player who was very good but I still didn't like it for traditional tunes.

they had a recorder player??
well, they have a whistle player now, none other than Mike McGoldrick! :)
Yes. His name is Marc Duff. The recording I have is an LP dated 1987. They also played at Mariposa once when I was there and I remember the recorder player.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

FJohnSharp wrote:We should switch to picking on the theremin players. There are only, like, six of them.

Do they have their own board? Tube and Rheostat?
I just got around to watching "Ed Wood" for the first time. The DVD extras include someone demonstrating a theramin. I mean, who wouldn't want to make music (or something like it) by waving your hands around in the air?

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg