I hear it, but she don't

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Wait...so some of you are saying that taking up the pipes is NOT a good way to meet chicks?!?!? :boggle: :o :o Aw sh*t.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Potty mouth... :lol:
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

KD, It may be unwise for your wife's early piping experiences to consist entirely of listening to a new learner struggle through some scales ;-) That could turn a person from the pipes for life.

Have you got any piping recordings which she likes? If concert pitch doesn't suit, try flat pitch.

Mick O'Brien is an excellent choice for non-pipe-addicts. Even people who don't particularly like pipes like his playing.

Bill
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
... composed by King Henry VIII... in honor of a hooker (hookers wore green sleeves denoting their profession).
It's a good story, but the evidence for this is lacking.

In any regard, the tune was around before Hank's day. If he had any part of it, it was probably writing the "Alas my love, you do me wrong.." words.

~~

Nonetheless, the melody is ironclad--it's one of those tunes which anyone at all would be proud to have written.

~~

It's said that upon going to Ireland and hearing The Derry Air for the first time, GF Handel said that he'd die happy if one he'd composed such a melody.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

BillH:

She has heard the pipes being played professionally many times. She just dislikes the sound they maker regardless if they are from me or a professional piper.

When I ttok her to see Cillian Valley we were slow close we could have worked the bellows and bag for him. He played the "wounded Hessian" and she asked me if his mic was broke. I had to explain that those sounds are from the pipes.

It was then she said never in my house......thats why I am banished to the sunroom....... :)
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Joseph E. Smith

s1m0n wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
... composed by King Henry VIII... in honor of a hooker (hookers wore green sleeves denoting their profession).
It's a good story, but the evidence for this is lacking.
I know he wrote the words, and I had heard that he also had written the tune... but, there is little evidence of that. Time to pore through the library again.
Joseph E. Smith

KDMARTINKY wrote:
It was then she said never in my house......thats why I am banished to the sunroom....... :)
Man!!!! The odds really ARE stacked against you aren't they!? :lol:
djm

Post by djm »

ITs often the case that a piper must set his priorities and get rid of any element that is impinging on domestic bliss. I'm sure your wife will do fine at her mother's house.

s1m0n, did you mean the Londonderry Air? I believe Handel was the derriere.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

The melody goes by various handles :wink: ...The Derry Air, The Derry Love Song.Danny Boy and yes The londonDERRY Air.
I know of three different versions of the words to the song..
First Lines...
1) Oh Danny Boy the pipes the pipes are calling...
2)O Danny boy-if words could e'er recall you...
3) Would God I were the tender apple blossom...

Keith do ye mean "The Wounded Hussar"? not Hessian... :boggle:
Slowing a tune down does not make it an air and if ye slow the double jig version of Greensleeves down( given that it only "resembles" the English version)then I am not surprised that she didnae recognise it..

OK I'm not suggesting any longer..here goes...

Ye have had the set 28 days and after 2 days ye were telling us that ye had 2 tunes aff !! add to that your Band of Shearers which ye were gonna work on until ye were satisfied with it, so presumably ye are cos ye have moved on to Greensleeves...
Ye seem reluctant to go and get the NPU CD which was designed especially to help people just like yourself

Get a grip man,and I don't mean the pipes.

Ye have spent a lot of money on your pipes.Ye have to be prepared to spend a lot o time and a lot o patience learning them.Comparing them to all the other instruments ye have learned to play will not make ye a piper,and already seems to be a hindrance as ye are comparing with them but it is not like for like.
Playing tunes the way ye seem to be going will only develope bad habits which will be difficult to undo later,
I mean look at the way ye started!!compound that with every new toon ye learn and ye will definately be in trouble.
Ye will need to learn how to play the pipes like a piper,that I presume is what attracted ye to them in the 1st place,not play the pipes as tho they are a whistle.
Ye definately need to structure your learning programme otherwise ye just end up with a battery of music.But surely to goodness ye know that frae your musical training.!!

If ye have developed a rapport with Lewis then ye can consider yourself very lucky.Perhaps ye can send him a tape once in a while with one piece ye are working on.He could make comments on that.(If he has the time)While yuo're at it make a tape of what your playing is like now and then do the same every 6 months to see how ye are coming on.

If my comments seem a bit harsh then I make no apology,I would say exactly the same to any o my pupils.

take 1 tune for eg..every time ye play it ye should be able to learn something different frae that piece,even if its just a wee clip on a note or an omission of a clip .I say with a new piece flog it to death after ye have learned the melody(which takes time in itself) add in as much ornamentation as ye can think of,(which is gonna take more time) then take out all the bits ye don't like. "Make the tune your own" (to quote Alan Burton from his classes long ago in London)
So ye can see that doing a" toon a day"is really getting ye nowhere very quickly!! :o

Now then I wish ye well but I also wish ye would get the CD and get organised :wink:

Slán Go Foill
Uilliam

Edited to take the highlights frae black to a more friendly green to shew Bill I am not shouting.. :boggle:
Last edited by Uilliam on Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
billh

Post by billh »

What's all this shouting? We'll have no trouble here!

:wink:
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Boy, the thought of a supporting wife is mind boggling to me. Congratulation on you gentleman who have found them.

My wife doesn't really bother me with my music though. She knows that it is important to me. She isn't musically inclined anyway so if she did comment I would take it with a grain of salt. I don't practice in her presence too often though. I don't want to push it.

There is a little boy named Sean that my daughter plays with and he told me this weekend that they sounded pretty good. I thought "at least someone thinks so".
Donald E Baltus

Post by Donald E Baltus »

billh wrote:I've never heard Greensleeves played in Ireland FWIW.
I was going to let that one pass but yeah, what "I Trad" version? Is that like the "I Trad" version of the Flintsone's theme?
Baltus, Donald E
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Douglas wrote:Boy, the thought of a supporting wife is mind boggling to me. Congratulation on you gentleman who have found them.".
At the Pipers' Gathering in 2003, I had just finished listening to pipemaker Julian Goodacre demonstrate his Cornish double pipes. I called my wife over, who had come along more for the opportunity to vacation on Lake Champlain than for the bagpipe music. Julian played another tune for her, and when he finished, my wife looked at me and said, "You HAVE to buy a set of these!"

I love my wife...
Cheers,
Mark

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
indestructibleman

Post by indestructibleman »

Donald E Baltus wrote:
I was going to let that one pass but yeah, what "I Trad" version? Is that like the "I Trad" version of the Flintsone's theme?
perhaps it's closer to the "I Trad" version of "You're a Useless Prat"?
-will

"strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras."
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Donald E Baltus wrote:
Hate to dissapoint ya all....but take a looky at page 49 Tune Number 209 in O'Neills 1001 Jigs, Reel,Hornpipes,Airs and Marches The Irish Music Collection...(ps the Title is a bit wonky as their isnae any Airs in the Book) .....therein ye will find Greensleeves,as I said afore it is not the dirge as played in England but a lively Double Jig as played in hmmm Ireland...well it was by my grandfathers band in Moaté that much I know for a fact.So because one hasnae heard it played doesnae mean a thing really and the version Royce is referring to bears no resemblence whatsoever to the Flintstones theme,indeed the jig only bears a slight resemblence to the dirge....
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.