Study Abroad

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Study Abroad

Post by Congratulations »

Well, I might have the opportunity to study abroad in England next semester (or next year, perhaps). The real problem is, of course, money, but we're trying to work that out. I guess my question is, is study abroad typically a worthwhile endeavor? I'd also like any information you guys might have on the University of Northampton (the school I'd be attending).

Thanks! :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Awseome!
If you can scrape the money together GO FOR IT!
It's always good to get out of your native country for a few years.
When I did, I returned with a much broader sense of the world and society...Just living in another country puts such a different perspective on things, but if you have the oportunity to be in the educational system of another country (especially if it's better than the one you're coming from) is twice as beneficial.
Good Luck!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I've been an international student in England for the last year and it's been really great. Except for the distressing lack of proper baked beans. It's absolutely worthwhile to study abroad. Feel free to email me with questions.

PS - don't let money stop you. Two words - Stafford Loans.
djm

Post by djm »

There's some very pretty ladies in England. Just don't get caught.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
sweet potato
Tell us something.: I am here to change my password and also to see what the market may look like should I decide to sell my lovely Sam Murray flute.

Post by sweet potato »

Congratulations!

I am currently the resident faculty director of a study abroad program in Glasgow. I did not have the opportunity to study abroad myself as a student, but I see this as such a tremendous experience for my students that I would recommend wholeheartedly that you make every effort to go abroad. Living in another country or in another culture can change your life in such positive ways. I am very thankful for the opportunity to participate in this study abroad progam, and I encourage you to take advantage of your study abroad possibilities if you can.

All the best,

Laura
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

avanutria wrote: Except for the distressing lack of proper baked beans.
You know, I thought of you the other day......the local grocery store had Bush's Baked Beans on sale 10 for $10 ;)

And so as not to hijack, I was actually going to recommend that Congratulations get in touch with you, but you beat me to it.
I say go for it...adventures like that come once in a lifetime! :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Congratulations

izzarina wrote:
avanutria wrote: Except for the distressing lack of proper baked beans.
You know, I thought of you the other day......the local grocery store had Bush's Baked Beans on sale 10 for $10 ;)
You know, I'm not a big bean person, myself, so I think I'll do fine. :P

And thanks everyone for your support. We're fairly certain at this point that money isn't going to be an issue. I just can't believe I'm actually going to do it! It seems sort of surreal.

I'm so excited!
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

If you have the oppurtunity do live abroad for a year or two you should go for it 100%.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
Jack

Post by Jack »

Go for it!

The Lord willing, I will be in Austria (or mabey middle-southern Germany) in two years, although I will only be staying for a few months.

I'm also looking in to study in Scotland or Canada. Canada isn't really that far away, but I was there once and I really like it there.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Yes! Study abroad. Ideally, stay in a guest family. Don't hang out with fellow Americans while there. Read the newspaper.

Cranberry wrote:Go for it!

The Lord willing, I will be in Austria (or mabey middle-southern Germany) in two years, although I will only be staying for a few months.

I'm also looking in to study in Scotland or Canada. Canada isn't really that far away, but I was there once and I really like it there.
Why would the Lord send you to Austria, now that you have become one of his chosen few and see His Grace in everything and bear Witness to the heathens? Surely the Righteous deserve reward, not chastisement?
/Bloomfield
Congratulations

Bloomfield wrote:Yes! Study abroad. Ideally, stay in a guest family. Don't hang out with fellow Americans while there. Read the newspaper.
That's a good point. I'll inquire as to my accomodations, though I'm sure I'll be staying in a dorm. And I wouldn't know any of the other Americans going, anyway, so I'd be no more inclined to be around them than the locals. Even less so, I'd say. :) Reading the newspaper is a wonderful piece of advice. And I wouldn't have thought of it. I don't read the newspaper around these parts.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

GO!!DO NOT STOP!!!GO!!!!
My daughter went to UCC for a year in 2003. She made friends, traveled and wants to go back. I went over and stayed in Cork for a week and had the best time that you can have with one of your kids.

The overall tuition cost was a wash; Tuition and living in Berkeley vs tuition and living in Cork. I think the living costs (if you include all the travel) were slightly less than up in Berkeley.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Bloomfield wrote:Why would the Lord send you to Austria, now that you have become one of his chosen few and see His Grace in everything and bear Witness to the heathens? Surely the Righteous deserve reward, not chastisement?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Spot of trouble dogging you in Salzburg, Bloo?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jack

Post by Jack »

Bloomfield wrote:Yes! Study abroad. Ideally, stay in a guest family. Don't hang out with fellow Americans while there. Read the newspaper.

Cranberry wrote:Go for it!

Why would the Lord send you to Austria, now that you have become one of his chosen few and see His Grace in everything and bear Witness to the heathens? Surely the Righteous deserve reward, not chastisement?
So you think I should go to Canada, eh? ;)
Congratulations

Cranberry wrote:So you think I should go to Canada, eh? ;)
If nothing else, they have a really awesome national anthem.