sleepless in Worms

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cwmwl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cwmwl »

Last night I hardly got any sleep. Tonight I have to play some solos for a few hundred people. A local group asked me to do so, and now I have to stick to my promises. Tickets are sold out since weeks ago. If the weather stays as it is, they are going to give the concert in open air, admitting some hundred people extra. I'm all tense. Maybe I should have an afternoon nap as long as I can.
Wish me luck and a steady blow. I'm sure your wishes (and maybe a little prayer?) will help me.

Wilfried (near Worms, Germany)
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

cwmwl wrote:
Last night I hardly got any sleep. Tonight I have to play some solos for a few hundred people. A local group asked me to do so, and now I have to stick to my promises. Tickets are sold out since weeks ago. If the weather stays as it is, they are going to give the concert in open air, admitting some hundred people extra. I'm all tense. Maybe I should have an afternoon nap as long as I can.
Wish me luck and a steady blow. I'm sure your wishes (and maybe a little prayer?) will help me.

Wilfried (near Worms, Germany)
I hope all goes well.
Reasonable person
Walden
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Eeeeeeeewwwww! I don't think I'd WANT to sleep in Worms..... sorry, I couldn't help myself :smile:
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Good Luck Wilfried,

remember to play slower than you think you should, the adrenaline pumping in your veins will make it feel like you should go faster.

Take it easy, they'll enjoy your playing, and even if you make a mistake, they probably won't realise! Just keep the rhythm going, and call it a variation!

all the best, Martin
claudine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Wilfried, don't panic, just take it easy and concentrate on the music. I wish you luck!
- claudine -
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Just remember this quote:
"We don't make mistakes. We're musicians." -John Whelan

Where do you think ornamentation came from anyway? "Oops missed the note, Hey that sounded pretty good!"

And the rest as they say, is history.

Seriously, best of luck to you!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Alles Gute und viel Glück! Wird schon schiefgehen!

Toi toi toi

No Worries in Wörms!
/Bloomfield
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Wilfreid, good luck! Just relax and "zen-out" for a while before you perform. I'm sure you'll do great.

Good luck, and all the best!
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

Hi Wilfried,
alles Gute, viel Erfolg und viel Spaß!
Ich drück' von Düsseldorf aus die Daumen in Richtung Worms.
Gruß
Claus
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

viel schlimmer wäre es z.B. wenn du nächsten Sonntag Torhüter beim Elfmeterschiessen sein müsstest
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Keep it simple. Dump ornaments in the first pass, then add em in. Milner was absolutely right, you are most likely to speed up so go SLOW!!!.

Sincerely, I have learned from years and years of performing to USE the adrenaline in a good way. After a long time, it becomes your friend by making your music more momentous and energized than you can perceive from your side. Tape recordings will verify it.

It will become fun but terrifying at first.

Enter the time-honored musical tradition: keep playing! Use a juggling metaphor if you must; you're juggling the balls and you drop one, swoop down and pick it up and get back to the show!!

Remember too that PERFORMING is different than RECITING. I use that terminology to describe the difference between your practice at home without responding stimuli versus the dynamic nature of live performance; things can go awry but also very well. Often, its just not what you expected to happen so adapt to the immediate.

Good luck!!!!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Weekenders on 2002-06-28 13:00 ]</font>
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Wilfried,

By the time that you read this, your playing is probably done, but having heard you play, I'm certain that you did great!

I hope so, anyway - retroactively.

Best,
Erik

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ErikT on 2002-06-28 13:37 ]</font>
cwmwl

Post by cwmwl »

Thanks for the support! I just came back, and everything went fine. The people almost went frenetic when I played (don't know why, I made some unvoluntary "ornamentations"). We have been playing for over three hours, I had five solos: Give me your hand, Sweeney Brogan's Polka, The Greencastle Hornpipe, The Harvest Home and Home to the Kyles. The last song was taken over by scottish bagpipes (I played it on my Bb whistle) and it sounded great. I'm so happy now. Once more, thanks to all of you. It was such a comfort to have some people backing me up.

Wilfried (edited - I forgot to add my name)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cwmwl on 2002-06-28 18:43 ]</font>
Grannymouse

Post by Grannymouse »

Good for you Wilfried! We're doing an all Beatles concert tomorrow night. Hope I can do as well. :lol: Gm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Grannymouse on 2002-06-28 23:49 ]</font>
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Best of luck! You can always play with your back to the audience like I do!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anna Martinez on 2002-06-29 14:02 ]</font>