Any other Chiffers play the Mandolin?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Geraint
antispam: No

Post by Geraint »

I've got one on order. Should be here next week :D

Then I'l have to learn to play the thing :(
Tri pheth sy'n anodd nabod....
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I second mountain dulcimers.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

Flyingcursor wrote:I second mountain dulcimers.
I don't know that I've ever seen a dulcimer outside of catalogues. How are they tuned and how does one play them? If what I'm picturing in my mind from the Hobgoblin cataloge was a dulcimer it seemed to have frets which were unequally spaced (as if maybe trying to eliminate sharp/flat notes?!
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Okay, first of all, what's a banjar? Part banjo, part guitar?

I have a Dean mandolin. Never heard of it but a friend gave (yes, gave) it to me and who was I to say no?
It's good because while I love celtic music, most of my friends play old-time. Since I don't practice those tunes on the whistle (and would get some awnry looks from the trad old-time folks if I tried to play a whistle), I figured mando was something I could play with my friends. But with limited time, my whistle comes first as far as practice time so I never get anywhere with the mando. I can sit outside the circle and pick up the tunes as they're played but my right hand isn't trained so I can't play the runs. I would like to get better but it would take more time than I can give it right now.
wolvy

Post by wolvy »

I play a lot of mandolin. I find it difficult to play Irish music well on it. In fact very few can do it well. I have to put Marla Fibish up there as one of the best Irish mandolin players. She is amazing. She teaches at Lark Camp every year and her workshops are excellent.
missy

Post by missy »

buddhu wrote:
I don't know that I've ever seen a dulcimer outside of catalogues. How are they tuned and how does one play them? If what I'm picturing in my mind from the Hobgoblin cataloge was a dulcimer it seemed to have frets which were unequally spaced (as if maybe trying to eliminate sharp/flat notes?!
Buddhu - I've got to go out and walk Citizen's on Patrol, but I'll answer your question more in depth later today or tomorrow.
In the meantime, to hear the mountain dulcimer (well, actually, two of them, a "regular" voice and a bass) played, listen to the MP3s on our site........
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

missy wrote:
buddhu wrote:
Buddhu - I've got to go out and walk Citizen's on Patrol, but I'll answer your question more in depth later today or tomorrow.
In the meantime, to hear the mountain dulcimer (well, actually, two of them, a "regular" voice and a bass) played, listen to the MP3s on our site........
Oh cool! Thanks very much, Missy! :)

Trouble is that I think I want one now...
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

:lol: Good Job Missy! Another one caught! :lol:

Dulcimer is one of the most fun instruments there is to play. Lots of different ways to play them too. It can be super easy or you can make it very difficult.

Go for it Buddhu! You have to go to http://www.everythingdulcimer.com and read about them. There is even a great forum there too.

Cheers,
Kathy (owner of 4 mountain dulcimers and 1 hammered dulcimer) :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

chattiekathy wrote::lol: Good Job Missy! Another one caught! :lol:

Dulcimer is one of the most fun instruments there is to play. Lots of different ways to play them too. It can be super easy or you can make it very difficult.

Go for it Buddhu! You have to go to http://www.everythingdulcimer.com and read about them. There is even a great forum there too.

Cheers,
Kathy (owner of 4 mountain dulcimers and 1 hammered dulcimer) :)
It might have to wait a while. The banjo is only a couple of months old. If I start spending out on more instruments I suspect that my lovely wife, despite her natural restraint and calm, would nail me to the barn door.

We have an outbuilding we call 'the barn', so please don't think I meant the above metaphorically...

I'm definitely dulcimer-curious. :D
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

:lol: I know all about that. When my hubby comes home from the Train Shop and says did you buy that dulcimer you were watching on ebay? I have to check the back of the truck to see if he has brought home an engine or something. :lol: I can tell when he feels guilty. I just send him to the barn... Oh well, he has to go there anyway to milk the cows. I guess it's not the same for you. :P

You can buy a fairly nice sounding student model for about $100. Check out the Sweet Music instruments made by Dave Lynch on Missy's website.

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

I am currently learning Mando and Octave Mando. My little Mandolin is a Fender model FM-52E with the electric pickup. Such a sweet little sound. I have had that one for about 5 years and I am just so impressed with the agility of such an instrument.

More Recenlty I got a Johnson MA-550 Octave Mandolin. It is so coool! Really full sounding. A great rhythm and melody instrument. I am having such a blast with this new baby!

I found that these two resources were pretty valuable having played guitar so long.

Image Image
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Montana wrote:Okay, first of all, what's a banjar? Part banjo, part guitar?
I don't know what the poster above was referring to, but "banjar" is often used in old-time and b'grass circles interchangably with "banjo". It's supposedly an approximation of the name of the african instrument which becamse the banjo, but I have yet to be completely convinced of that.

There have been various historical attempts at guitar-banjo miscegenation, but as far as I know these are generally called prosaic names like "guitar-banjo" or "banjo-guitar".
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
missy

Post by missy »

or the mando-banjitar:
Missy

Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

missy wrote:or the mando-banjitar:
You're sick! :lol: :P

Edited to add:
At first glance, the way the amp is positioned, it makes it look like he has his pants down around his ankles :o
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
missy

Post by missy »

Tyler Morris wrote: You're sick! :lol: :P
I'm sick??? Nah - it's JIM that's sick!!! And actually, that's one of his more tame inventions!!!! You should see the thing he made to help people know what chord to play during a jam session......... :o
Missy