susato bores

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

susato bores

Post by Congratulations »

I have a "small bore" susato in D that I don't care for, but the Bb (same head, different body) is pretty good. I was wondering if the "very small bore" susato is any better than the "small bore." I'm thinking about ordering a VSB dublin just to see, but I figure if someone on the board can enlighten me a little, I might not need (or want) to. :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Jeferson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

Here's a spot where you can find a discussion about these whistles. I personally prefer the regular bore for what I consider to be its "fuller" sound in comparison to the VSB, but opinions vary!

Jef

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... hlight=vsb
Caru

Post by Caru »

Susato is a brand of whistle. It is spelled with letters, mostly s, u, a, t, and o. These are combined to spell the name Susato -- you know, the kind of whistle. It may be said, at this point in time, that whistles are what Susatos are. These are musical instruments which make a whistling sound. The sounds they make are called whistling. Susatos make this "whistling" sound, to be sure, since they are whistles (of a specific brand, as the case may be)...

Oh! The thread didn't mean that kind of "Susato bore" after all. :D Oops.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Caru wrote:Susato is a brand of whistle. It is spelled with letters, mostly s, u, a, t, and o. These are combined to spell the name Susato -- you know, the kind of whistle. It may be said, at this point in time, that whistles are what Susatos are. These are musical instruments which make a whistling sound. The sounds they make are called whistling. Susatos make this "whistling" sound, to be sure, since they are whistles (of a specific brand, as the case may be)...

Oh! The thread didn't mean that kind of "Susato bore" after all. :D Oops.

:lol:
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

It's just what happens when you make more than one key of whistle with the same bore diameter. The higher whistles have a fuller sound that some find obnoxious, the lower ones have a mellower sound that some find weak. I think you can comfortably get a whole-step, which is a 10% variation in length, without compromising, but a lot of people make lines of whistles that differ by two steps or more with the same tubing.

Glenn Schultz made each of his wooden whistles with a different bore diameter. But he went from C (or even occasionally B) to E on the same PVC tubing. I personally find the C PVC boring, the D excellent, and the E good. Others find the C or B the best of the line, and the guy I got the E from said he liked the sound but it was way too loud and shrill in the upper octave. The woodens are entirely different. The D's are the most similar to the PVC model (both 0.50 bore diameter), but the E is lightning-quick, at the same time with an incredibly sweet sound. The C is wonderfully rich and warm. I think that C and E are some of the best whistles ever made.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

I've played Susatos in small bore & VSB in D, and a wider bore Bb, A, G set. I like the wider bore better. (Fair warning -- I don't really care for the sound of Susatos much.) The wider bore seems to have a richer, more mellow sound to my ears. Could be the bore, could be the lower tuning.

Isn't there someone you could borrow a VSB from for a trial?

Judy
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I have a silly number of Susatos, 14 I think. The D VSP I don't like with it's thin annoying sound but the Eb VSB is nice. The E is useful if you need one. The D small bore I don't like mainly as it screeches in the high note and lacks the richness of the ones i mention below. Jessie advised me to get a Bleazey which i hope to have next week.

The Susato small bore whistles i DO like are the C, Bb, A and one of my favorite of all whistles the B
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Adrian wrote:The Susato small bore whistles i DO like are the C, Bb, A and one of my favorite of all whistles the B
Yeah, I like my C and Bb small bores a lot, which is why I thought perhaps the VSB D would be a little better than the SB. You live, you learn, I suppose. I might get one in E, though...
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

If you plan to get a VSB and don't desperatly NEED a high E then i would recomend the Eb rather than the very loud E.

Good luck