Origami!!!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Band Nerd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Origami!!!

Post by Band Nerd »

I just ordered an origami book off the internet, hoping it'll be fun. Does anybody here do origami? How much do you enjoy it? I've done origami once or twice, nothing special. It looks challenging, but fun at the same time!

Collin :lol:
peeplj

Re: Origami!!!

Post by peeplj »

Band Nerd wrote:I just ordered an origami book off the internet, hoping it'll be fun. Does anybody here do origami? How much do you enjoy it? I've done origami once or twice, nothing special. It looks challenging, but fun at the same time!

Collin :lol:
You need to get in touch with Aaron Walden.

--James
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

aka "Walden" in these parts!
carrie

Post by carrie »

seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I've had a couple of phases where I did lots of origami. I liked doing it, but what the heck do you do with all those little folded animals, people, and objects??? I had boxes full of them and ended up throwing most of them away eventually.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

seisflutes wrote:I've had a couple of phases where I did lots of origami. I liked doing it, but what the heck do you do with all those little folded animals, people, and objects??? I had boxes full of them and ended up throwing most of them away eventually.
Get a 4-bit box of paper clips, and bend the middle part of a clip back, to make an "S" shape. Glue it to the top of one of the paper animals. Voila... Christmas ornament... repeat as necessary.
Reasonable person
Walden
Jack

Post by Jack »

I have been considering learning origami. I must admit that I've been influenced by Walden's great ability and talent with the medium.

In my German class there is a little red wine glass that has been fashioned out of a candy wrapper. Whoever made that has a lot of talent (it was probably Walden! :P).

I also want to learn to knit.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Walden wrote:
seisflutes wrote:
I've had a couple of phases where I did lots of origami. I liked doing it, but what the heck do you do with all those little folded animals, people, and objects??? I had boxes full of them and ended up throwing most of them away eventually.
Get a 4-bit box of paper clips, and bend the middle part of a clip back, to make an "S" shape. Glue it to the top of one of the paper animals. Voila... Christmas ornament... repeat as necessary.
Yes, I did a few of those. I didn't want to completely cover the tree with them though, so I stopped with a few.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I give 'em away to kids.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I give 'em away to kids.
That's a really super idea. And the kinds will probably insist that you show them how to do it, too. :)
carrie

Post by carrie »

Give them away to anybody, not just kids. Some of my most treasured gifts are origami creations. I think everyone would appreciate such a gift, even--or maybe even especially--for no special occasion.

Carol
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Cranberry wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
I give 'em away to kids.

That's a really super idea. And the kinds will probably insist that you show them how to do it, too.
I did that for a while too. The older ones do want to see how it's done. The younger ones squash. :) Cute little things.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Origami is cool. About 35 years ago I won an origami competitionat school. I was a bit of a fraud because the 'hovercraft' I folded was improvised pretty much constructed by accident. Luckily for me no one asked me to demonstrate how I made it.

Fraud or not, I ate the whole jumbo-sized chocolate bar prize myself. I was a horrible kid.

Straying from the point: Cranberry, I'm not Christian, nor religious at all, but there is surely no arguing with that avatar, man. Respect.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

seisflutes wrote:I've had a couple of phases where I did lots of origami. I liked doing it, but what the heck do you do with all those little folded animals???
You're not supposed to fold little animals, just paper!
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Jack

Post by Jack »

perrins57 wrote:
seisflutes wrote:I've had a couple of phases where I did lots of origami. I liked doing it, but what the heck do you do with all those little folded animals???
You're not supposed to fold little animals, just paper!
Reminds me of the whole "bonsai kitten" hoax a while back.