Style? Moi?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

anniemcu wrote:I'd say the fact that Simon heard you from accross the parking lot and still came in, is evidence that your style can't be too dungy. :lol:
Aye!

He still came in, dinna he?
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

I guess I'm being too sensitive. I apologize. I read avanutria's comment in the context of a response to ninjaaron's comment. I certainly have no negative feelings about going from one country to another and citizenship matters---those are completely personal decisions. I might well decide to do the same myself sometime.

Okay, sorry everyone. I think perhaps I'd best stick with the dishes and laundry today. :lol:
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Cynth wrote:I guess I'm being too sensitive. I apologize. I read avanutria's comment in the context of a response to ninjaaron's comment. I certainly have no negative feelings about going from one country to another and citizenship matters---those are completely personal decisions. I might well decide to do the same myself sometime.

Okay, sorry everyone. I think perhaps I'd best stick with the dishes and laundry today. :lol:
Can I offer some chocolate, or cammomile? I know the feeling. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

You never told me you had choccy.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

jbarter wrote:You never told me you had choccy.
Here, Barter, celebrate your newly recognised style! I'm short on the really good stuff, but I've some Cherries Jubilie thins, and some lovely hot Mexican Chocolate Coffee...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Cynth wrote:Oh, I get it. ninjaaron is saying he hates Americans.
It was a joke. whether it was funny or not is another matter, but that's what I meant.

I am an American who's lived in Europe for a couple of years, And my post was giving voice to a common stereotype of Americans held by some Europians (with a tiny level of justification. I've seen a some Americans come across that way over there, though not all, by anymeans. Like it or not, our current president doesn't do wonders for this kind of reputation either).

I don't hate Americans. I like scads of them. There are also some that I don't like. My post was a potshot at people who come across that way, as well as people who hold that predjudice. It was a joke though. It probably makes more sense to the folks across the pond. You don't really notice that kind of additude living in America as an American. I didn't really see it until I left, and then I saw it more when I came back. It is pretty obvious to foriegners when they come here. Not all of us are like that, but to some degree our upbringing has conditioned us to come across that way. Americans are very competitive, and want to be the best, which is not a bad thing. In Europe there is more of a mentality that says that nobody should try to be better than anyone else. Neither worldveiw is better or worse, and both have good and bad to them, but they do put things in a much different light, and when people with these differing veiws meet eachother, there is bound to be tension, from the europian prespective. The American drive to succeed and be the best causes some external side affects that are very offensive to Europians. The Europians bitch about it. We don't know what is offending them, so we think they are annyoing, irritable grannies (which is probably true). Another thing that American are taught from a very young age is that we live in the "best country in the world", whatever that actually means. People from other countries find this rather offensive, as you might expect. France does this too. Everyone thinks it's eaqually stupid when they do it.

By the way, everything above stated about "Europe" particularly applies to Denmark, and to a lesser degree the rest of northwestern Europe. Don't know much first hand about southern Europe, or eastern Europe.

See, it was a funny joke. Now laugh.
Last edited by ninjaaron on Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Everyone likes music
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

As a serious responce to the original post:

Stlye is mostly a matter of where you place ornaments and articulations. It's like recogizing someone by the things they say and the tone they use.

A lot of style is developed as habits, mostly by chance, depending on how and when we learn to do different tricks, and what we listen to... I think... At least for average player. Really talented people will have this also, but I think the main difference is that they have a greater sense of vision than the rest of us. They want the music to say something. The rest of us are just trying to play the damn thing, so we pull out the same tricks every time, kinda on auto pilot. Vision has the most to do with style for the good ones, their interpretation of the music.

Hopefully your in the second catagory. If your anything like me, your just waiting around for those few moments of inspiration to hit, hoping someone is around to hear it when it actually happens. Usually all they hear is my regular tricks.

I am shamefaced.
Everyone likes music
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

niijaaron, I do apologize. I just really got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I see now you were joking. :lol: I am trying, really I am. :lol: I am obviously not the fastest person in the world. :lol: I just get tense when people are lumped together in a group and I have also an unfortunate tendency to have to have jokes explained to me. So thank you, and again, I'm sorry for the harsh words. :)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Hey, John, maybe it had nothing to do with your playing at all. Were you sporting a new coiffure? But I must admit that I feel privileged to have a mucka as stylish as you are :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

izzarina wrote:Were you sporting a new coiffure?
:lol: For quite a while now I've been sporting a slude-dude hairstyle, but so people can tell us apart I've carefully dyed mine grey. (Would I lie to you? :wink: )
(BTW, my name is John)
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

So there's this bloke I know, every day he goes down to the sea and plays his 'cello to the seals.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Martin Milner wrote:So there's this bloke I know, every day he goes down to the sea and plays his 'cello to the seals.
Lemmie guess, the seals don't care?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Martin Milner wrote:So there's this bloke I know, every day he goes down to the sea and plays his 'cello to the seals.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh please, have mercy!
(BTW, my name is John)
Dazzle1

Post by Dazzle1 »

jbarter wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh please, have mercy!
You think you got problems :D that guy in the red beret on page 1 sings to the seals, how mean can you be.

D