Style? Moi?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Style? Moi?

Post by jbarter »

An odd thing happened at last night's session.

I missed Tuesday's session at the Newmarket so I went to the Wednesday one at the Woolpack, where I haven't been for a couple of years. Great time had as it was young Rosie's last session before she goes to Newcastle University to study for a degree in traditional music. (How cool is that?)

<You're rambling Barter. Get back to the point.>

After I'd been playing for about half an hour in came Simon the bodhran player (and a phenominally good one BTW). <Rambling again. Gerronwithit!> He said, "When I heard that Barter style playing as I came across the car park I thought I'd come to the wrong pub."

Style? I have a style? What is it? Why is it distinctive? How does it differ from other people's? Is it just a polite way of saying I'm utter sh*te? I'd love to know but I just didn't have the nerve to ask.

Total panic is beginning to set in. I'll have to get Pat (Wjndbag) to break it to me gently.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
ninjaaron

Re: Style? Moi?

Post by ninjaaron »

jbarter wrote:Is it just a polite way of saying I'm utter sh*te?
Yes. Believe me, I'm an American. We know things without having any background because we live in the best country in the world.
Everyone likes music
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hm. Only 3 years till I can apply for citizenship...
missy

Post by missy »

you're making a name for yourself!!!!

as to whether it's a GOOD name or a BAD name, I have no idea...... :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
BigDavy

Style of Play

Post by BigDavy »

Hi jbarter

I don't know if you need to worry or not as to your playing.

Speaking from the bodhran player's perspective you soon learn to recognise the idiosyncracies of those people you play with regularly and can pick them out even in a large session.

You say Simon is a good bodhran player, you only get good if you listen hard to the people you play with and in doing that you soon learn to pick out individual playing charecteristics.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Whew! Thanks BD. Now perhaps I'll be able to sleep tonight. :)
(BTW, my name is John)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I'm confused. I haven't had my coffee yet. Is Simon an American? I don't get the American and citizenship things. :-?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Cynth wrote:I'm confused. I haven't had my coffee yet. Is Simon an American? I don't get the American and citizenship things. :-?
Ava wants to apply for English citizenship, I daresay.
/Bloomfield
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Bloomfield wrote:Ava wants to apply for English citizenship, I daresay.
Now who shall we trade you as a replacement for her?
(BTW, my name is John)
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

jbarter wrote:

That one, on the left, there.
/Bloomfield
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Bloomfield wrote:
jbarter wrote:

That one, on the left, there.
No thanks, we already have our own silly royalty....
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh, I get it. ninjaaron is saying he hates Americans and avanutria is saying she has only to wait 3 years to not be an American. Yes, I like this new, nicer C&F alot.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Cynth wrote:Oh, I get it. ninjaaron is saying he hates Americans and avanutria is saying she has only to wait 3 years to not be an American. Yes, I like this new, nicer C&F alot.
I didn't see anything hateful at all in either of those responses myself, Cynth.

I saw Ninjaaron responding to Jbarter's question...the question was basicallly "should I be worried that I play like crap because a bodhran player recognized my playing from the parking lot".. (paraphrase).

Ninjaaron said "yes", and then followed with a completely spurious justification for his reasoning. Passed through my humor filter, I translate his response as: "Really, I can't answer your question at all, since I don't know how you play, and live in a completely different country, so let me instead offer up this silliness". I don't see any hate professed at all for America or Americans. In truth, if it were there (which, again, I don't see), it would have to be a sentiment something along the lines of "I hate all americans but me" since he professes to live in Wisconsin. :) I base my supposition on the part of his statement where he says "We know things without having any background", which to me is where he gives the nod to the idea that he can't really answer the question at all.

Part of Ninjaaron silliness was a bit of faux-jingoism proclaiming how America is the best country on earth. It's a known fact that Beth is over in the UK, and seems to be enjoying the locale quite a bit...and that's really all I read her response as saying, and again, not necessarily a dig at the US. At least, not any more than a conversation along the lines of: "Chocolate ice cream is the bomb" "Nah, vanilla's where it's at!" I just don't see an expression of <i>preference </i> as being the same as an expression of <i>hate</i>

Then again, it could just be me. I try not to read any extra drama into things I read...I find life full of quite enough of it already. ;)

Now, to try to swing things dangerously back onto the topic at hand, I myself cant say if the recognition of Jbarter's style is a good thing or a bad thing...but to me, it definitely means that his playing is distinctive to someone who's been exposed to it for a while. I have a friend who doesn't play the whistle but likes celtic music. I've sent him clips and samples and stuff for a couple of years now, and he's gotten good at picking my playing out from other whistlers. Good thing? Bad thing? Well, that's subjective, I suppose...but it does mean to me that he's been really listenin to the stuff I send him, which I find heartening.
Last edited by Wanderer on Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Cynth wrote:Oh, I get it. ninjaaron is saying he hates Americans and avanutria is saying she has only to wait 3 years to not be an American. Yes, I like this new, nicer C&F alot.
Hi there Cynth :)

Sorry you read hate into those posts. Please let me explain mine.

When an American citizen applies for another citizenship, they are not 'giving up' their American-ness. It's a common misconception and one I had to explain to my grandmother as well. The US allows dual citizenship in most instances.

However, holding a second passport will have a nice side effect in that I will not be automatically classified into a certain 'type' of person just by the colour of my passport. The 'nasty American' stereotype is one I have come across a lot in the past year, and was described well in ninjaaron's (hopefully satirical) post. My comment was meant to distance myself from his, which in retrospect would have been achieved a lot better if I had just kept my mouth shut.

Which I will try to do now, so Dale doesn't have to lock another forum. :P
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I'd say the fact that Simon heard you from accross the parking lot and still came in, is evidence that your style can't be too dungy. :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com