Hair-trigger?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Does Dale have a hair-trigger on his delete button?

Dale is deleting threads too quickly
13%
Dale is very careful about which threads he deletes
57%
You have no right to even be asking this question
30%

Total votes: 46

emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

The Weekenders wrote:edited for bad posting technique.
Just remember what my riding instructor, Miss Julie, used to say:
"Nice posting trot, trot posting," and you'll either catch on or get a sore fanny.

edit: I hate when I post something really stupid and it ends up at the top of the next page.
Last edited by emmline on Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

I have appreciated your attempts Bloo. It's been a long time since you engaged in a non-music thread for an extended period of time. I'm not sure if it was worth it, but I enjoy your brilliance and fluidity of thought and expression.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

TomB wrote:
Blackwood wrote:
Because the postructural pub is essentially about fluff & humor, and not essentially about politics. It's the postructural whistle board minus the whistles. That you're asking this question makes me feel like you never bothered to look around and get a feel for the place.
Where do you come up with that? Read the definition Dale posted when he created the Pub forum, it doesn't say anything about "fluff & humor" and certainly did not exclude politics and religion. In fact he as the moderator he started threads about politics and religion.

Don't twist the facts to suit your agenda....
This forum is for posts that are off-topic, that is not related to whistles, flutes, pipes, Irish traditional music, and so on. It's general conversation, wide ranging topics. The kind of stuff you might chat about at a social gathering, which this kinda is.

No need to label posts OT (Off Topic) on this forum.

I suspect that Bloomfield was simply talking about what the majority of OT posts were in the past, that's all. Bloomfield wouldn't argue that he never participated in political/religious discussions.

As to Dale starting them, yeah, no kidding, he has said that many times recently.

Tom
Tom, you've got that right. It's also funny that Blackwood seemed to have missed the meaning of the bit he quoted: "... the stuff you might chat about at a social gathering, which this kinda is"

Imagine everybody sitting around at a social gathering, say a family reunion, chatting about who times have changed, the weather, whom Lizzie is dating, Uncle Ernest's ulcer, the gas prices, and the recipy for that lovely pecan pie... All the while there are a few sitting in the middle arguing loudly about partie politics, pulling out and reading news-paper clippings, and every 10 min jumping up and down shouting about the outrage of it all. Even if they are right and so forth: Is that how you behave at a family gathering? Or at a cocktail party? Which is not to say you can't have a political discussion at a cocktail party or a family gathering. (As I have mentioned before: it's not about what, but how much or how little.)
/Bloomfield
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

not sure here...

did emm just talk about her fanny...?
emmline

Post by emmline »

The Weekenders wrote:I have appreciated your attempts Bloo. It's been a long time since you engaged in a non-music thread for an extended period of time. I'm not sure if it was worth it, but I enjoy your brilliance and fluidity of thought and expression.
ditto. I almost pulled out the pompoms but showed some restraint.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

emmline wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:edited for bad posting technique.
Just remember what my riding instructor, Miss Julie, used to say:
"Nice posting trot, trot posting," and you'll either catch on or get a sore fanny.

edit: I hate when I post something really stupid and it ends up at the top of the next page.
He he!! Miss Julie would have got the sack if she'd said that here! :lol: :lol:

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Bloomfield wrote:
TomB wrote:
Blackwood wrote:
Polite PM’s?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."

Post by Guest »

A regular observer of all sorts of things on the Internet about Irtrad and its instruments, happenings etc.

Jack G seems to be making a name for himself - see the Obsession dot org, where abuse by the in-crowd used be the order of the day for anybody who they felt threatened them, and yes Mr Jack you posted there as well, but I cannot recall your input as being ..um anti-social.

Anyway the Obsession is a place for wieners and wannabes, so comming over here was a move up in the world for ya! Perhaps you might want to adjust to Dale as opposed to King-sh*t who runs carphole dot com.

Why did I bother to read this? Because Dale is not whatever you imagine him to be. His management of the forum is a work of great diplomacy dealing fairly with delicate issues, such as here.

So to be absolutely honest with you, and as one brought up in an Irtrad home where we had the contrary pipers, the bullheaded flautists etc I get the impression that if you were a teenager you'd be getting a severe spanking by yer poppa!; in my day a schalp in the arse, usualy with a hobnailed boot.

And now that I am thinking about it, didn't Mr Tansey recently have a tantrum on the same trip trying to get attention?

PS Steve! the word 'wazzoks' is the best thing I heard in many a long hours reading, pullleassse post some more, thanks

:0)
Last edited by Guest on Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomB

Post by TomB »

amar wrote:not sure here...

did emm just talk about her fanny...?

We'll just have to wait and see what she says, in the end.
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
TomB

Post by TomB »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:
TomB wrote:
Polite PM’s?
:lol:
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Blackwood wrote:
But I am beginning to agree that it's getting ridiculous.
for the sake of civility let's agree and leave it at that. We are obviously totally talking past each other..
Don't pretend that this has anything to do with civility, or that extraordinary restraint in that respect is required of you.

Here is an example of why it is getting ridiculous:
Bloomfield wrote:
Blackwood wrote:
But, I have come to understand how a substantial number of people find all the political threads bothersome
Dale, I'm at an intellectual loss here. It is so simple: If they are bothered by them why do they read them? Nobody forces anyone to read a single political post or thread. Anyone is free to start threads of their interest.
I think this "they can ignore threads if they like" doesn't work past a certain point. I mean, people come here to read threads, not to ignore threads. If there are only a few threads to ignore, it's fine: those are easy to ignore (like a sticky political/religous thread), and the character of the place isn't changed. But once there are more than a certain number of political threads, I think just ignoring them ceases to be a workable option.

The reason is that there is a certain tone to (most) political threads that is serious, a bit antagonistic and argumentative, and as a result stressful and polarizing. I think a big part of the chiffboard has always been light-hearted banter and mutual supportive coddling---that sort of thing becomes harder merely because there are many antagonistic and argumentative threads (which may or may not be politicial... but often are; although you could observe the same effect when we had a stream of antagonistic threads about particular whistles or whistle makers).
... to which your response was:
Blackwood wrote:
But once there are more than a certain number of political threads, I think just ignoring them ceases to be a workable option.
Why? Is there a hypnotic effect that causes people to read them? Sorry the argument makes 0 sense to me...
What do you mean, "why?" There is a whole paragraph explaining why I think just ignoring political threads doesn't work when there is too many of them (it's starts with "The reason is that..."). Of course I can be wrong, or perhaps it doesn't make sense to you, but what do you mean by just asking me to give reasons after I just gave you my reasons? And without even responding to the reasons I gave.

Speaking of civility: Notice that I refrain from offering any views on how this sort of thing reflects on your "motiviation" (your term).
Last edited by Bloomfield on Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

jGilder wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
jGilder wrote: Ok, everyone that comes into this town has to turn in their guns to the sheriff's office... we don't want anyone getting hurt now, ya hear?
All's I want is a hot bath, a bottle of hooch, and...say, where's Miss Kitty?
We just don't want any trouble... ok?
There's always someone to stir the pot. Always will be. I've usually taken it that the motivations for that are like as not boredom, perversity, some kind of agenda, or impulse control issues. I can say this because I've done so myself for the same reasons, and humankind being humankind, we pretty much all hew to the same dynamics. I pick and choose the "trouble" I get into, as do we all. I don't think that the objections here are about not wanting any trouble and living in a cyberworld of rainbows, unicorns, and CareBears. I think that the reason for such an orgy of hair-splitting on this thread is that people are taking exception to a poll that smacks of high-profile complaining, whether or not that was your intention, Jack. If this was supposed to be a "fun thread" as you posited somewhwere back, why aren't people getting it? It's worth asking.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

Nanohedron wrote:If this was supposed to be a "fun thread" as you posited somewhwere back, why aren't people getting it? It's worth asking.
It was a fun way of presenting a serious topic. If I just started this topic without the Old West Allegory I doubt it would have made it this far. I didn't want to give the impression that I disapprove of Dale's handling of this issue, but rather that I understand how difficult it is. And I did want to discuss it as well.

I like this place, I think the effort is worth the difficulty in discussing it. I may be silly to think it will do any good, but I really do hope it will help.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

jGilder wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:If this was supposed to be a "fun thread" as you posited somewhwere back, why aren't people getting it? It's worth asking.
It was a fun way of presenting a serious topic. If I just started this topic without the Old West Allegory I doubt it would have made it this far. I didn't want to give the impression that I disapprove of Dale's handling of this issue, but rather that I understand how difficult it is. And I did want to discuss it as well.

I like this place, I think the effort is worth the difficulty in discussing it. I may be silly to think it will do any good, but I really do hope it will help.
Fair enough. *kicks back, grabs the popcorn* :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

toasty wrote:A regular observer of all sorts of things on the Internet about Irtrad and its instruments, happenings etc.

Jack G seems to be making a name for himself - see the Obsession dot org, where abuse by the in-crowd used be the order of the day for anybody who they felt threatened them, and yes Mr Jack you posted there as well, but I cannot recall your input as being ..um anti-social.
I love this... "Obsession.org" Image
toasty wrote:Anyway the Obsession is a place for wieners and wannabes, so comming over here was a move up in the world for ya! Perhaps you might want to adjust to Dale as opposed to King-sh*t who runs carphole dot com.
Don't worry, I appreciate this board... and Dale.