Hair-trigger?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Does Dale have a hair-trigger on his delete button?

Dale is deleting threads too quickly
13%
Dale is very careful about which threads he deletes
57%
You have no right to even be asking this question
30%

Total votes: 46

Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

jGilder wrote:
anniemcu wrote:One thing that I have noticed, and may well be the crux of the problem, is that the particular thread set up for "Political...and sometimes religious" is no longer getting much use at all... perhaps we need to take most of these recent discussions back there. I know that some issues are seen as so important that they *need* to be posted seperately, but not nearly as many as are now out in the wider board.
I understand you're trying to be conciliatory, Annie, but I've never understood this single thread concept. Why don't we have a sticky thread for "Fluff & Humor" and another for "Prayers & Personal Concerns"? I'll tell you why -- because it's impossible to follow multiple topics on a thread like that. To confine a massive topic like politics with religion on one thread is unmanageable. Why isn't there a sticky thread for Flutes & Whistles"?
Because the postructural pub is essentially about fluff & humor, and not essentially about politics. It's the postructural whistle board minus the whistles. That you're asking this question makes me feel like you never bothered to look around and get a feel for the place.
/Bloomfield
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I am over six feet tall if I wear platform shoes.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

edited for bad posting technique.
Last edited by The Weekenders on Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
TomB

Post by TomB »

anniemcu wrote:
TomB wrote:[quote="anniemcu
One thing that I have noticed, and may well be the crux of the problem, is that the particular thread set up for "Political...and sometimes religious" is no longer getting much use at all... perhaps we need to take most of these recent discussions back there. I know that some issues are seen as so important that they *need* to be posted seperately, but not nearly as many as are now out in the wider board.
Yeah, but the issue then was too many diverse topics in one thread. That was one of the reasons that Dale created the Pub, I thought. I don't mean to suggest he created it for political/religious discussions, but just that the OT stuff wouldn't clog up the other boards.

Now, Dale has suggested we back off on starting political threads, so that is what we shoiuld do, I believe. The difficulty, of course, is that threads that don't start out as political often turn that way later.

All the Best, Tom
Umm... actually, that thread is right here *in* the pub now http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=18472 ... though you are right about it having been the very catayst in forming this forum ... I meant in recent use, it's been neglected, while many topics have been posted out in the 'rest' of the pub that might have been readily received within that ongoing thread.... that's why, BTW, that thread was made a "Sticky".[/quote]

Yep, I know. In other discussions though, that was brought up and I seem to recall Dale saying that he did not expect them to all go to the Political Sticky- at that point in time.

I'm not arguing with you, though, I hear what you are saying.

Again, as Dale wants to limit them, I will try to abide.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

But once there are more than a certain number of political threads, I think just ignoring them ceases to be a workable option.
Why? Is there a hypnotic effect that causes people to read them? Sorry the argument makes 0 sense to me...
based on insight into a shared vision for the chiffboard
whose vision? yours? what is the SHARED vision? Or is it a vision of a group that simply wants to enforce ITS Vision?
If you feel that you know better and that others who tell you they are "bothered" really mean that they disagree with your opinions, you'll never need to listen
I asked for alternate explanations and haven't heard them yet, other than" we can't ignore the political threads because we are somehow magically forced to read them". As I indicated above i don't see that as a valid argument.
First, Actually listening to what people are trying to say to you
Would love to if actually I heard a rationale as opposed to "you shouldn't be allowed to post at all, and you have no heart...etc.."
I don't mind people bumming a smoke off me (do it myself sometimes), but if I am giving away 15 smokes a day, it's too much; doesn't mean there is anything wrong with bumming smokes).
Don't know how this analogy is supposed to apply here whatsoever...

btw i noticed I seem to be singularily in your sights....any particular reason?
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

The Weekenders wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:
jGilder wrote: Because the postructural pub is essentially about fluff & humor, and not essentially about politics. It's the postructural whistle board minus the whistles. That you're asking this question makes me feel like you never bothered to look around and get a feel for the place.
Ya think??
Enders, you've attributed Bloomfield's comments to me somehow here and left mine out.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

jGilder wrote:I understand you're trying to be conciliatory, Annie, but I've never understood this single thread concept. Why don't we have a sticky thread for "Fluff & Humor" and another for "Prayers & Personal Concerns"? I'll tell you why -- because it's impossible to follow multiple topics on a thread like that. To confine a massive topic like politics with religion on one thread is unmanageable. Why isn't there a sticky thread for Flutes & Whistles"?
Actually, no.. not conciliatory... just reasonable.

I agree with you politically, most of the time, Gilder, but I don't think every political issue warrents its own thread in the Pub. Let's take them back to the "Political and Sometimes Religious" thread. Just in case you hadn't been paying attention to the details, that one thread had 450 posts! Obviously there has been some success in using it, and truth be told, it wasn't until the pol/relig posts started being put in the regular Pub forum that the problems of intolerance by others surfaced.

Again, though I do think that *some few* topics need more public display, at least in announcement of the discussion over in the Mega-thread, but not nearly as many as were flooding the place.

I happen to think that a "Fluff and Humor Sticky", and a "Prayers and Personal Sticky" might not be a bad idea.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

The Weekenders wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:
jGilder wrote: I understand you're trying to be conciliatory, Annie, but I've never understood this single thread concept. Why don't we have a sticky thread for "Fluff & Humor" and another for "Prayers & Personal Concerns"? I'll tell you why -- because it's impossible to follow multiple topics on a thread like that. To confine a massive topic like politics with religion on one thread is unmanageable. Why isn't there a sticky thread for Flutes & Whistles"?
Because the postructural pub is essentially about fluff & humor, and not essentially about politics. It's the postructural whistle board minus the whistles. That you're asking this question makes me feel like you never bothered to look around and get a feel for the place.
Ya think??
:lol: :lol:

edited to correct the errant quote
Last edited by anniemcu on Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
---
---
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

anniemcu wrote:

I happen to think that a "Fluff and Humor Sticky", and a "Prayers and Personal Sticky" might not be a bad idea.
Where would Acorns and Saturns Moon fall in there?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

Where do you come up with that? Read the definition Dale posted when he created the Pub forum, it doesn't say anything about "fluff & humor" and certainly did not exclude politics and religion. In fact he as the moderator he started threads about politics and religion.

Don't twist the facts to suit your agenda....
This forum is for posts that are off-topic, that is not related to whistles, flutes, pipes, Irish traditional music, and so on. It's general conversation, wide ranging topics. The kind of stuff you might chat about at a social gathering, which this kinda is.

No need to label posts OT (Off Topic) on this forum.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Blackwood wrote:
Where do you come up with that? Read the definition Dale posted when he created the Pub forum, it doesn't say anything about "fluff & humor" and certainly did not exclude politics and religion. In fact he as the moderator he started threads about politics and religion.

Don't twist the facts to suit your agenda....
This forum is for posts that are off-topic, that is not related to whistles, flutes, pipes, Irish traditional music, and so on. It's general conversation, wide ranging topics. The kind of stuff you might chat about at a social gathering, which this kinda is.

No need to label posts OT (Off Topic) on this forum.

I suspect that Bloomfield was simply talking about what the majority of OT posts were in the past, that's all. Bloomfield wouldn't argue that he never participated in political/religious discussions.

As to Dale starting them, yeah, no kidding, he has said that many times recently.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

Tyler Morris wrote:
anniemcu wrote:

Where would Acorns and Saturns Moon fall in there?
Right where they've always been. In the Pub. Where, frankly, I wasn't having any trouble with the board as it was before the bulldozers were gassed up. :) But since Dale doesn't seem to want to hand over the Emperor's chair to me, it seems reasonable to participate in brainstorming some kind of at least tolerable, if not popular solution(s) to the problems *some* people, who are just as valuable and cherished contributors as those I agree with, have expressed.
anniemcu
---
---
---
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

jGilder wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:
Bloomfield wrote: Ya think??
Enders, you've attributed Bloomfield's comments to me somehow here and left mine out.
Slip o' the paste button. Sorry about that.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Blackwood wrote:btw i noticed I seem to be singularily in your sights....any particular reason?
In my sights? Like of a gun? It's impossible to speak with you, not be exactly of your opinion, and still not be attacking you, is that it? With me or against me?

Look, I am trying to explain something to you that you seem to have a hard time grasping. I am speaking to you in particular because you keep making the same point over and over ("Anybody who is trying to suggest that I do things differently is trying to suppress me because of my views"). I also thought that you wanted an answer to your questions even though the answer might not parrot back to you what you yourself are saying.

But I am beginning to agree that it's getting ridiculous.
/Bloomfield
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

But I am beginning to agree that it's getting ridiculous.
for the sake of civility let's agree and leave it at that. We are obviously totally talking past each other..