Songs you hate to love- your secret shame

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

Tommy wrote:
SteveK wrote:
Tommy wrote:Sammy Davis ''Candy Man''
Is that the same Candy Man that Mississippi John Hurt recorded.

All you ladies gather 'round
The good sweet candy man's in town.
I don't think so?
I'm sure it's this one:

The Candy Man makes
Everything he makes
Satisfying and delicious
Talk about your childhood wishes
You can even eat the dishes

And who's ashamed of liking the Irish Rovers??!! :D

Reading through this thread is like listening to an oldies station - I know most of the songs and they start playing in my head.
Charlene
Geraint

Post by Geraint »

I haven't heard of most of these songs.

Evidently, I have impeccable taste

:D
Tri pheth sy'n anodd nabod....
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

emmline wrote:
Wombat wrote:...if you only appreciate art by people you morally approve of that could narrow the field to the point where there is hardly anybody else bar the Singing Nun...
Nope Wombat. 'Fraid we're going to have to nix her too. Dominique, after all, praises the suppression of the Albigensians during a Catholic inquisition, and therefore must be reviled by any DaVinci Code adherents who believe in that the Cathars were protectors of the truth.
:lol:
Well serves me right for not listening to the words.

I still think there's a lot to be said for her though. (I really did know what happened to her.) Firstly, she kept the Kingsmen's version of Louie Louie out of the number one spot on Billboard for which I would nominate her for the rock and roll hall of fame. Second, she left the order in the late 60s—clearly an act of repentence as I now see—and recorded songs like 'Glory Be to God for the Golden Pill.' Yes, THAT pill. :D
emmline

Post by emmline »

Wombat wrote:Well serves me right for not listening to the words.
not to worry. those words are only in the French version!
Wombat wrote:
I still think there's a lot to be said for her though. (I really did know what happened to her.) Firstly, she kept the Kingsmen's version of Louie Louie out of the number one spot on Billboard for which I would nominate her for the rock and roll hall of fame. Second, she left the order in the late 60s—clearly an act of repentence as I now see—and recorded songs like 'Glory Be to God for the Golden Pill.' Yes, THAT pill. :D
And then, I think, she committed suicide. Yes--she and her partner:
The two women were in despair because the center for autistic children they had founded had gone under for lack of funds. The Belgian government was also dunning Deckers for back taxes of between $47,000 and $63,000, although she said she had given all her music earnings to her convent.
Very sad story, ultimately.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

emmline wrote:
Wombat wrote:Well serves me right for not listening to the words.
not to worry. those words are only in the French version!
Wombat wrote:
And then, I think, she committed suicide. Yes--she and her partner:
The two women were in despair because the center for autistic children they had founded had gone under for lack of funds. The Belgian government was also dunning Deckers for back taxes of between $47,000 and $63,000, although she said she had given all her music earnings to her convent.
Very sad story, ultimately.
Oh that is very sad. BTW, I should have known what the song was about since I only heard it in French and have university-level French so no excuses on that score.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Wombat wrote:
Tony wrote:Wombat's from Australia... I thought Wagner might have been a musicial group from 'down unda' you know.. like The Wiggles...

:o
No, he's much worse than that.

I was more than half serious. His antisemitism alone would be a serious turn off although if you only appreciate art by people you morally approve of that could narrow the field to the point where there is hardly anybody else bar the Singing Nun. (Whatever happened to her?) What I hate about Wagner most is his music: triumphal, self-satisfied, bombastic, meglamaniacal, oozing all that is worst in European culture. Yuk. Of course, you might find it technically brilliant but I find the things I don't like getting in the road of things I would like if they served a more modest aesthetic vision.
I agree. I can't listen to any of his music at all - I feel revolted by it. No wonder the Nazis espoused him with enthusiasm (he would have espoused them too from what I read of his political views). Liszt is another I can't listen to. Empty ego. As for shameful songs I just thought of another that I love -"Phil the Fluter's Ball." With a toot on the flute and a twiddle on the fiddle-o.... Heheh!

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Wagner makes my arteries harden. Bleh.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Nanohedron wrote:Wagner makes my arteries harden. Bleh.
Agreed. I'll take Mozart, Bach, Beethoven or Stravinsky any day.
Geraint

Post by Geraint »

I must admit I have had a secret fondness for Wagner since I was a kid. Much of it appeals to the unsubtle and dramatic side of me.

As far as his nasty antisemitic views, that raises an interesting point - think of all the artists who have done nasty things or held very dodgy beliefs. Should we turn away from their works? I'm not saying I have the answer, as I do find it problematic.
Tri pheth sy'n anodd nabod....
Joseph E. Smith

Geraint wrote: Should we turn away from their works? I'm not saying I have the answer, as I do find it problematic.
I didn't even think about the antisemitic side of it... now that I am, I like it even less.

Seriously, Wagner's music has a way of... well... boring me to tears. I'm sorry, that's just what it does. :D
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Great - until you got to Stravinsky. I have this irrational feeling that he deliberately set out to irritate me personally even though I wasn't even born yet. I love The Rite of Spring though. Pulcinella too. Firebird's pretty good also. When I want to annoy my wife I put "Rite" on very loud with the bass up. :twisted: Last time I did it she accused me of playing jungle music. :) How about Ravel for a 20th Century composer. Fabulous solo piano music, all of it. The saints preserve me from all that overblown Bruckner and Mahler stuff though (except for Kathleen Ferrier singing in "Das Lied von de Erde."). And...and....

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
scarhand
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scarhand »

my list includes John Denver, Danny Boy, Gordon Lightfood, Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow, the Unicorn (although i could never listen to the Irish Rovers when my great gram was around because they were from northern ireland and steam would come out her ears and she threatened to break my record if she ever heard it again - she hated anything to do with northern ireland, she being from Carrickmacross in Monaghan herself), all those Big Bands, just about any folk song you can name, especially the funny ones like Clementine and Ants and Elephants and the 12 Days After Christmas - i know over 200 of 'em :oops:
the brave do not live forever,
but the cautious do not live at all.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I would never be ashamed of anything I liked, no matter how naff it may be considered.

Nice to see a few George Jones fans sticking their heads above the parapet.That mans voice alone is worth the time spent listening and as Wombat has suggested even though a lot of his material is pretty lame it does express emotions that men tend to bury.
Broken hearts and empty bottles have figured in the lives of most men,if the truth were known, and nobody expresses that like George.
Jimmy Webb is a great songwriter and recently appeared at a major folk festival over here - I think it was Cambridge.

A few songs that I am very fond of,even though it raises some peoples eyebrows when I mention them in polite company are Send in the Clowns,
Winner takes it all, Dancing Queen ( Oh to hear Art Garfunkel sing that - I wish) and of course,Two little boys, a song that I have never been able to listen to without a tear or two coming to my eyes.

So now,that's my credibility blown for once and for all :oops:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote: So now,that's my credibility blown for once and for all :oops:
Nah...it only would have been if you had told us that you secretly listen to "Wonderful Tonight" on a regular basis :lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Joseph E. Smith

SteveShaw wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
The saints preserve me from all that overblown Bruckner and Mahler stuff though (except for Kathleen Ferrier singing in "Das Lied von de Erde."). And...and....

Steve
... Mahler, I like him just a wee bit better than Wagner (which is not at all). Chopin, now there's a great composer.