Looking for Uilleann Pipers In the Metro Detroit Area

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tigher35
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Looking for Uilleann Pipers In the Metro Detroit Area

Post by tigher35 »

Just moved to the metro Detroit area (NOVI) and am looking for Uilleann Pipers or a Uilleann Pipers Club in the area? Any Help would be Great.
Cheers,

Tighe
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Tighe:

Welcome to the Detroit area and the forum! We don't have a pipers club per se, but we still get together on a fairly regular basis. Several of us play at the session at Dick O'Dows in Birmingham on Tuesday nights (9:00pm). Many of the pipers here were taught by the late Al Purcell.

I'll send you a PM with some more details.

John
Bill Reeder
antispam: No

Post by Bill Reeder »

Try contacting these folks: http://www.detroitima.org/

There are pipers in the area there and they have been involved in putting on the Al Purcell Tionol which is apparently not happening this year.

edit: Whoops! I see John got his post in while I was looking up URLs.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Hi Bill:

Thanks for the input. Yeh, the Tionol unfortunately won't go on this year but we're hopeful for next year certainly as it was a very good event, Lots of great instructors over the last few years. If you're ever up this way let me know.

John
Bill Reeder
antispam: No

Post by Bill Reeder »

Thanks John! Ironically, I had decided to go to the tionol this year. In past years, the tionol conflicted with a local festival.

I'd like to get up there some time and maybe renew acquaintances with Frank Edgley who was responsible for getting me started in piping. In all fairness though, he warned me not to mess about with Uilleann pipes.

I really regret that I wasn't aware of Al Purcell until he passed away. Sounds like I missed a great opportunity to know a good man.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
tigher35

Thanks.

Post by tigher35 »

Thanks for the warm welcome. Looks like I will have my hands on that D 1/2 Gallagher Set by the end of the month. John, the seller was more than willing to do what you had suggested. Looks like the wheels of progress are finally turning my way. Anyhoo... maybe my wife and I will come by Dick's this Tuesday and Have a listen.

Thanks again, I will let you know when I get the pipes.

Cheers,

Tighe C. Richardson
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Bill Reeder wrote:
I really regret that I wasn't aware of Al Purcell until he passed away. Sounds like I missed a great opportunity to know a good man.
Right about that Bill, I only met him on maybe two occasions before he passed away, but there are others on this board who knew him very well and he is certainly missed.
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Tighe:

That's great news about the pipes! Hope to meet you at DO'D's on Tuesday.

John