Recommended swabs for oiling and cleaning?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Father Emmet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Father Emmet »

Chamois from the car care section of an auto parts store. One strip cut from it lasts for months.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Father Emmet wrote:Chamois from the car care section of an auto parts store. One strip cut from it lasts for months.
polish the bore...it should last longer!

I've been using the same one on the metal flute for a couple of years...

Maybe I should use it more often... :o
norseman

Post by norseman »

Lambchop wrote: 1. Cut a strip of old t-shirt.
2. Cut a small slit in the end of the strip. [XXXXXXX--XX]
3. Run the strip through the slot on the rod.
4. Loop the long end of the strip around and pull it through the slit.
5. Fold it over the end of the rod before inserting into flute.

It won't come loose and get stuck in your flute that way. Depending on where you put the slit and how fat the strip is, you can make this a more or less plump, cushy swab.
Lambshop, about what size of strip do you normally use? I'll use that as a starting point and go from there.

Thanks,
Bob
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

norseman wrote:
Lambchop wrote: 1. Cut a strip of old t-shirt.
2. Cut a small slit in the end of the strip. [XXXXXXX--XX]
3. Run the strip through the slot on the rod.
4. Loop the long end of the strip around and pull it through the slit.
5. Fold it over the end of the rod before inserting into flute.

It won't come loose and get stuck in your flute that way. Depending on where you put the slit and how fat the strip is, you can make this a more or less plump, cushy swab.
Lambshop, about what size of strip do you normally use? I'll use that as a starting point and go from there.

Thanks,
Bob

About 1" x 4", Bob. That makes it a nice size to get up into the flute (my flute, anyway) without getting stuck. Just make sure the little split is just big enough to allow you to thread the end of the strip through, or it won't be nice and tight after you pull it through.

That's what I use to oil it. To just dry it while playing, I have great success using a microfiber lens-cleaning cloth. It's thin, but not as thin as silk, and it's about 6 x 6. Thread one corner through the slot in the plastic clarinet rod, fold the cloth over the end so it kind of holds in place, then pull the square cloth so that it's not bulky. It goes in nicely, soaks up moisture very well, and dries without getting icky. Washes up nicely in dish detergent or shampoo.

I tried paper towels, too, but it required a lot more effort and I kept getting chunks stuck in the flute.

The fabric I'm using now for the oiling strips is from an old pair of cotton knit running pants which got so worn out that holes appeared, so it's thin and not lint-y.

It makes me feel better to know the pants have a new purpose to their life. I kept wearing them until some kind soul mentioned that I really needed to stop, but I felt terrible about it. We'd had such good times together. :sniffle:
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Has anyone tried the traditional shrew-and-snake method?-An oiled shrew sent up the bore - followed by a garter snake to remove the shrew. The minuscule bulk and pointy nose of the shrew ensures good reach into dead-end head joints and those hard-to-reach cork/bore corners. Do not remove the shrew yourself as they are bitey when oiled. The snake may be tough to remove depending where the bulge locates, and an ACME snake tool may help. For those unable to purchase, borrow or rent the tool- stuck snakes will free themselves within two to three weeks.

-Owners of low Bb/A flutes should consider use of larger rodents & larger-bore snakes. Recommended larger rodents include voles, wood rats and
capybaras. Snake sizing will vary. Pick a non-venomous variety.
:wink:
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Denny wrote:
Father Emmet wrote:Chamois from the car care section of an auto parts store. One strip cut from it lasts for months.
It's not that the chamois breaks down, but that it gets dirty. Something to do with smoking and the consumption of dark liquids. It could be washed I suppose (the chamois, not the flute).
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Father Emmet wrote:
Denny wrote:
It's not that the chamois breaks down, but that it gets dirty. Something to do with smoking and the consumption of dark liquids. It could be washed I suppose (the chamois, not the flute).
Do you use real chamois or synthetic?
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Lambchop wrote:
Do you use real chamois or synthetic?
I'm not sure, I don't have the package handy, but it seems real. It is a yellowy color, smoother on one side than the other, and is stamped "Made in England" in ink in one corner. It was less than $10 for about a 16" x 16" piece.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

the problem with real chamois is that it tends to dry out into a rather stiff thing that takes time to get working properly again.
Unless, of course, you leave it inside the closed case.
I have one Rudall that I use a chamois strip as the swab. Why? Because I have the original cocus cleaning stick....and it's pretty nifty.
anyway, it doesn't dry out to a stiff thingy since it's in the case.

for what it's worth.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

And just in case anyone thinks they don't need to swab ....

What happens if you don't clean your flute. This cork stopper was taken from a German flute whose owner admitted he never bothered to clean out after playing.
The cork of the stopper can be seen as the dark brown patch on the right hand side. On top of that is a cracked crusty layer of something organic - probably based on Guinness. On top of that is a vibrant growth which clearly enjoys the lifestyle. There was more but it came off in the battle to release the stopper from inside the head. The inside of the head was lined in similar accretions, the flute now plays considerably better with them gone.

Terry
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Terry McGee wrote:And just in case anyone thinks they don't need to swab ....

What happens if you don't clean your flute. This cork stopper was taken from a German flute whose owner admitted he never bothered to clean out after playing.
The cork of the stopper can be seen as the dark brown patch on the right hand side. On top of that is a cracked crusty layer of something organic - probably based on Guinness. On top of that is a vibrant growth which clearly enjoys the lifestyle. There was more but it came off in the battle to release the stopper from inside the head. The inside of the head was lined in similar accretions, the flute now plays considerably better with them gone.

Terry

Thus satisfying our curiosity over whether green things grow in the dark . . .
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

That's...... horrifying!!!!!!!! :o

M
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Ewww! Gross! Image
clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

A method I use that I'm surprized more haven't tried is gun cleaning supplies. I was able to find a sturdy cotton swab (kind of like the ones that recorder people use except about 2 inches long). These things come in many different diameters and I found the 5/8 in one fits my flute perfectly. It has a threaded rod coming out of the end which screws onto a medal rod. This rod can receive all kinds of things (small brushes etc). I found everything at my local Sports Authority for less than $5.00. I can actually oil my flute thoroughly with getting any oil on my hands or anywhere else except where I want it on/in the flute.

Clark