Help Wanted: Understanding/Tactful Computer Geek

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Help Wanted: Understanding/Tactful Computer Geek

Post by susnfx »

I can admit it: I'm a complete computer idiot and I need help. Here's the deal:

I have Windows Media Player and I also have MSN media player. I've selected Windows Media Player to play everything (at least I think I have). However, when I download an MP3, the WMP comes up and shows that the clip is playing, but there's no sound (I know my speakers work). This happened awhile ago too, and lasted for a long time, then suddenly one day I had sound again. It used to be played by the MSN media player (I'd actually prefer that, but can't find anywhere to select that as my default player) but now when I download something the WMP comes up, not the MSN player.

Can anybody help me figure out how to select the right things so that I can listen to the all-important ITM clips???!!!

Susan
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Open My Computer or Windows Explorer;
from the menu bar: Tools/Folder Options
tab File Types
press M, and scroll till MP3 is selected
click Change
and pick a program...
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I tried that already, Denny. It shows WMP as the program opening MP3s, so it should work. "Change" isn't given as an option and "edit" only allows me to edit within the WMP, not change what pulls up the MP3. :(

Susan
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Two questions, Susan: 1) What's your operating system and 2) Why do you prefer the MSN media player? (not being nosy, asking for a constructive reason). ;-)
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

DOS and I prefer the MSN because I've occasionally had problems in the past with the Windows Media Player and the MSN has always been reliable, playing when and what I wanted it to play. Up until now, that is.

Susan
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Ummm.... DOS? Not Windows XP or some such? (You wouldn't be able to use Windows Media Player under DOS, I shouldn't think. But whaddo I know). Anyway, I should perhaps have asked, what version of Windows?

Pam (filling in until a real computer geek happens along)
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Hmm. Thought in the interim I'd look up the "MSN Media Player" to see what I could see about your issue (in the mood for a challenge tonight); did a google search, and sort of..can't find such a beast. Would it be "MSN Music" that you were using/liking? Now I'm confused, too. :wink:
Denny

Post by Denny »

scottielvr wrote:Ummm.... DOS? Not Windows XP or some such? (You wouldn't be able to use Windows Media Player under DOS, I shouldn't think. But whaddo I know). Anyway, I should perhaps have asked, what version of Windows?

Pam (filling in until a real computer geek happens along)
Well, it isn't DOS... It is pre XP and W2K There is the hacking the registar, but we sure ain't going there...

Susan, you can start the player you like and poke about in the menu system looking for an option that looks something like make default player.

I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope though.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Don't you just hate it when folks answer questions like yours with stuff like, "The program you're using sucks! Download this!" "Buy that!" "Get a M**!" I do too; but now I find myself doing it anyway. I was going to recommend that you, well, chuck both media players and download Winamp (free) and set it as your default for your mp3s. Not pretty, but faster and more reliable than Windows Media Player, which seems to relentlessly grab all the file associations...and then malfunction. So in the (unlikely) event the mighty geek oracle can't help, here's the link: http://www.winamp. The latest version says it'll run under Windows 98 SE and Windows ME, as well as 2K/XP. HTH.

best
Denny

Post by Denny »

Pam, you are such a rebel! :D
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Hehe. Nah, the rebels will be along shortly. You know, the wild ones: The guys with the "Linuxgruven" bumper stickers. 8)
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Susan, does your computer play any kind of sound at all? Have you checked that the speakers are securely plugged into the back of your machine? The can look plugged in but not be entirely in..
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

scottielvr wrote:Don't you just hate it when folks answer questions like yours with stuff like, "The program you're using sucks! Download this!" "Buy that!" "Get a M**!" I do too;
True but for private support, that is, not associated with my regular job, there are certain things I'll support and some I won't. I've had people with a hand-me-down 386 with Win95, 128mb ram a 4gb hard drive and old 16bit sound and video cards insist that they should be able to run Battlefield 1942 or Doom 3. I won't even try to make that work because it won't. I tell them immediately.

It sounds like Susnfx may have other issues besides just her particular media player.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I've got Windows 98. I'm at work now and can't look at anything or try anything... I appreciate the suggestions. I'll pass on WinAmp - had it once before and didn't like it at ALL. I'll check the speakers again tonight...I don't even hear the sound effects for the regular computer actions when the speakers are on.

You realize of course how earth-shattering this is, when I NEED to listen to clips. :sniffle:

Susan
djm

Post by djm »

You may want to review ALL the programs on your system that play sounds. There are many programs that will take control of your sound system and not let go, even when they are not apparently running, i.e. they don't close down cleanly. This means Windows won't allow another program to access the sound card, or a driver, or other utility associated with the sound system (depending on what was left locked up) until that lock file gets removed.

Remove what programs you don't need from your PC that use your sound system. Investigate by trying one program at a time to see at what point does your sound system get locked up. It may be a game or a media device of some kind that is the culprit, even an old version of DirectX. Make sure you have the latest patches for Windows, as well as the latest device drivers for all your hardware.

Hope that helps,

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.