The things we truly value

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

The things we truly value

Post by Tyler »

I've always enjoyed sharing the cartoons from our own local newspaper cartoonist, Pat Bagley, because I think his sense of humour and irony are top notch, but every now and then he gives us something from the heart...
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/m ... agley_0831

Sorry for posting the link instead of the actual image; they've changed the way they post up pictures on the Trib website, so the properties have changed from an image file to some sort of off-site image site archive...this link'll get you to it though.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

great picture, Tyler.

It's just so terrible. And the long term consequences - I can't even begin to wrap my mind around. I've lived through the total destruction of a neighborhood by a tornado, and the aftermath and rebuilding. That was just 20 houses. Something this BIG???

Fox (yeah, sorry) had a clip last night talking with a man who had lost his wife. So, so sad.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

That is touching. They said on the news last night that some people didn't evacuate when the hurricane came because they couldn't leave their pets behind. I had been feeling a little critical toward the people that had a way to get out but decided to ride out the storm, but I must say that it would be the hardest thing I ever had to do to leave my pets behind if I had to go to a shelter that couldn't accomodate animals. I'm not sure I could really do that.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Cynth wrote:... but I must say that it would be the hardest thing I ever had to do to leave my pets behind if I had to go to a shelter that couldn't accomodate animals. I'm not sure I could really do that.
I'm quite sure I could not do that. Our pets are members of our family; when we adopted them, we became 100% responsible for their well-being. My biggest fear is a house fire or some other disaster occurring while we're at work (and the animals are stuck in the house). My priorities are the safety of my wife and our pets. Everything else is gravy.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

Cynth wrote:That is touching. They said on the news last night that some people didn't evacuate when the hurricane came because they couldn't leave their pets behind. I had been feeling a little critical toward the people that had a way to get out but decided to ride out the storm, but I must say that it would be the hardest thing I ever had to do to leave my pets behind if I had to go to a shelter that couldn't accomodate animals. I'm not sure I could really do that.
for me leaving my pet is not even an option. she(a she cat named Tansy) and i have ridden out six hurricnes tied up in the back bays and creeks along the gulf in our sailboat.
when you go to a shelter you must stay there until the authorties say you can leave, no pets, no alcohol, no exceptions. i bet they woudn't take to pipes or whistles either. i couldn't imagine going through a storm without at least maintenance doses of strong drink.
it does take a lot of planning, thought and experience to make it through a big one, and some luck and providance.
i raise my glass and a tune to all of the people and pets, caught in Katrina.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

My daughter said she wouldn't leave if she couldn't take her cat.

It reminds me when a house I lived in caught fire. Twas the middle of the night and somebody was outside screaming "Fire!"

I leapt out of bed and determined it was safe to make a beeline for the exit. Out I ran. Then, seeing the fire was still in the back of the house I ran back in through thick black smoke to save my precious flute.

So it wasn't a pet but who wouldn't rescue their instruments?

Oh, my girlfriend was in there somewhere too. She got out eventually... I think.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I think probably I wouldn't ever have to make that choice, thank goodness, because I would be able to evacuate myself to some other city by car and take my kitties along since I have the money to stay in a motel and for gas and the like. I was just outside thinking about how I would go about leaving them behind, like keeping a door open upstairs so they could get on the garage roof in case of flooding and really, I just had to stop thinking about it.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I couldn't leave my little chihuahua...no way in the world...he's another one of my kids.
I'd scoop up the little blighter and plop him in my wife's purse and be outta there with 'im.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Tyler Morris wrote:I couldn't leave my little chihuahua.
Had to get a dog that would fit in the Mini huh? You could sit him on the back shelf and get him to nod his head. :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

jbarter wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:I couldn't leave my little chihuahua.
Had to get a dog that would fit in the Mini huh? You could sit him on the back shelf and get him to nod his head. :D
Hmmm, great idea there! A LIVING BOBBLE HEAD!
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I saw a guy briefly on the news in Biloxi, MS standing amid the mud and debris of what had been his home. He opened a guitar case he found in the mess and pulled out his intact guitar. He smiled at the camera and said, "I ain't worried about my house," and picked out a nice blues rift. It made me want to cheer. Best attitude he could have.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

TonyHiggins wrote:I saw a guy briefly on the news in Biloxi, MS standing amid the mud and debris of what had been his home. He opened a guitar case he found in the mess and pulled out his intact guitar. He smiled at the camera and said, "I ain't worried about my house," and picked out a nice blues rift. It made me want to cheer. Best attitude he could have.
Tony
I saw that! I was amazed that his guitar seemed to be perfectly dry and undamaged, since the case didn't look particularly tough or waterproof. I loved his comment. After he played the blues riff, he added, "...as long as I got my guitar."
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I am worried about my friends who had horses... talk about difficult to relocate in a hurry! Our mutual friends and I are still not sure where or how they are... worrisome indeed. I am sure they would not leave them.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Musical_Midnight

Post by Musical_Midnight »

Flyingcursor wrote:So it wasn't a pet but who wouldn't rescue their instruments?
We got out of our house for the storm. When I didn't know what we'd come home to find, I packed the necessities: a couple of changes of clothes, a bookbag full of my music, plus my whistles, as well as my computer tower. My husband shook his head at first as I made sure all my whistles were there...but I saw he went back inside for his seldom-played clarinet, HIS computer tower, plus the granola bars & other snack stuff.
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday....Was it worth it?
----------
Music is the traveller crossing our world, reaching so many people, bridging the seas.
---The Moody Blues
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Sure glad you decided to leave. You wouldn't want to be stuck somewhere without anything to do!