Ireland Trip Planning

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dyersituations
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by dyersituations »

I was in Ireland this summer, and I can tell you that we liked it much more away from the big cities. Large cities all around the world tend to be at least somewhat similar, and the small villages outside of the cities is where we really felt like we were in Ireland. The best sessions by far were in the small, non-tourist areas we went. In tourist zones the sessions can feel really staged, like in Doolin. Some tourist areas aren't bad, but I always felt like it wasn't really Ireland, so to say Oh, and hostels are an awesome way to travel. Less expensive, great locations, and you meet some really cool people. You just have to feed yourself, but sometimes they have food for sale too. I recommend Co. Clare and other places on the west coast, but I would stay away from Co. Kerry, at least places like Kilarney where tourism is insanely high.

Hope this helps. Ireland is awesome and you will have a great time no matter where you go. For us it was the trip of a lifetime, and I am going back as soon as I can. Cheers.

-Casey :)
Life is good.
Tony McGinley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tony McGinley »

Please don't avoid the lakes of Killarney,
Torc Waterfall, Muckross Abbey,
Ladies View, the road to Kenmare.
These places are just too beautiful to miss.

Sure the towns and visitor centres are
crammed with "sheep" (the tour-bus tourists
that follow a leader).

If you use a hire car you can avoid the sheep pens.
I live in Kerry and we walk in Muckross park
almost every weekend. Even in mid season
there are places you would hardly meet a soul.
Just get off the rat runs and stay out of the towns.

My son took a few pictures in Killarney he has them
on this website. Have a look and see how many tourists
you can count in all the pictures put together:

http://www.pbase.com/biorn/muckross_killarney&page=all

I hate tourists and tourist traps, I hate the hype and
the false images. But believe me you can see Ireland,
even live in Ireland, and not get trampled by tourists,
just by using your loaf a little.
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

I just don't know what to say, my heart's beating quickly, my mouth's agape and we may have to reconsider and just do Ireland this trip...will a month be enough?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

Gaahhhh!!! Reading all these posts is killing me! I have to wait until Christmas before I'll be in Ireland again! I want to go NOW!

:)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

If you are ever near Tralee, Co. Kerry then for Pete's sake go see a show by <a href="http://siamsatire.com/arts_forthcoming.html">Siamsa Tire</a>
(pronounced "SHAHM-sa CHEER-a", it's The Irish National Folk Theatre).

My wife and I saw the show "OILEÁN" when we were there. It's about the
people who settled on the Blasket Islands in the early 1900's. The show is
done entirely in Irish (very cool!) and they do a lot of singing and dancing,
but not in the Riverdance style... more of a folksy dance, like clogging.
And they have a terrific ITM band!
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

PhilO wrote:I just don't know what to say, my heart's beating quickly, my mouth's agape and we may have to reconsider and just do Ireland this trip...will a month be enough?

Philo
There's certainly the danger of trying to do too much. And you will probably underestimate the time that it takes to get from A to B, especially when you head towards the western seaboard of Ireland - you're in danger of spending too much time on the road and missing the whole point. Pick a few places and stay in a B&B in each of them for at least two or three days, absorb the atmosphere and chat to the locals. Modesty forbids me to say "yes, just try to do Ireland this time, and don't even imagine you'll see everything".

Dublin isn't what it used to be, but you'll get good bona fide non-commercial sessions in Hughes's in Chancery street. I can also strongly endorse the recommendation of heading out to Howth, it's a lovely spot.

As deep background preparation, I can also strongly recommend a book which I've just finished reading - "Zulu Time" by Mark Little - it's not about tourism at all: he talks a lot about mutual misunderstandings and stereotypes between Ireland and the US. Also "The truth about the Irish" by Terry Eagleton.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I thoroughly agree with those who advise against doing too much. (Although a month is a really nice chunk of time!)
Having grown up in Europe and the States, the most common 'mistake' I see Americans make is superimposing the huge American scale on Europe (which looks quite diminutive by comparison). Ireland looks tiny, but distances can be deceiving, especially when traveling on smaller roadways.
I think the way to travel European countries is to take a regional approach. Really get to know a few regions of the country, rather than attempting to superficially getting to know the whole country. Ireland is very dense, so I find depth to be more rewarding than breadth.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Tintin wrote:Ireland is very dense...
So are its people :lol: .
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar